Thread: Moose Hunting Near Juneau?

Default Moose Hunting Near Juneau?

I was just wondering how close I am to hunting some moose. Do I need to make my way inland to have any real hope of seeing one?

i flew up Berniers Bay last fall in a SuperCub, we saw 15-18 moose. Don't know if that area is a draw or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    i flew up Berniers Bay last fall in a SuperCub, we saw 15-18 moose. Don't know if that area is a draw or not.
    What do you mean by draw?

Berners has moose but good luck drawing a tag. Gustavus would be a better choice and you can get a permit over the counter for the bull hunt. I have never hunted there but I've heard the bull hunt is combat hunting and the quota is usually met by the 3rd day.
    Good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    What do you mean by draw?
    As AK Fireman said, draw a tag-lottery.

Taku river is an option as well....But competition can be stiff, and most of the good spots are taken way before opening day.

Default advice

Some things Ive noticed after moving to SE from up north is the Moose are only in certain areas, all draw, hunted hard, and they are a bit smaller in comparison to the moose up north.
    My advice is spend the money, fly up north. Its worth it. Thats what Im doing this fall.

Default se moose

moose hunting in se can be a challenge. Taku river, Stikine river, Gustavus, St. James bay are all areas to check out. Gustavus probablly the cheapest to hunt although it can be difficult with all the hunters. Up north can have the same problems in easier access areas. You could also try elk hunting down around Wrangell.

Default not all draw

by the way, not all areas in se are draw, as far as I know only Haines, Berners Bay and various cow hunts (December in Gustavus) otherwise the rest are over the counter tag hunts for bulls only. P.S.---unlike many of the up north areas most of se has no size restrictions such as spike/50 like up north

There are tier II moose hunts in skagway and Haines both have had 50 ich or spike fork restrictions. There are some O.K. bulls taken every year in Haines nothing like up north though.

There are also some OK bulls near the boarder station in skagway.

Lots of hunters and moose in Berners Bay.

Gustavus is a Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
    There are also some OK bulls near the boarder station in skagway.

If you say so . . .

Lots of hunters and moose in Berners Bay.

??? Berner's has been LE/draw for as long as I can remember. 7-8 bull tags is typical. They did not have an opening last year due to the Winter of 07/08 - recording breaking snow.

Gustavus is a Zoo.
    Agree on this one. I value my life!

I've hunted berners bay and it was busy there are air boats that buzz up and down the river and it so close to Juneau there are bear hunters in there too including myself

There are good bulls below the border station and in some of the valleys further up.

I have hunted the bull season in Gustavus a few times, the last about 7 years ago. It was insane then, and vowed to never do it again. However, I did draw a cow tag there two years ago, and got a HUGE cow.
    I have put in for Berners bull since 1989, but never drawn. I have a couple friends who have drawn, as well as a couple that drew cow tags there, when they were drawing for them,(since dis-continued).
    The last two winters were very hard on the moose in Berners, as well as on the Chilkat penninsula. According to Neil Barten, the area biologist, Gustavus faired better, and there WILL be a cow hunt there this year as well.
    The Taku is a tricky hunt, in that it is very dense brush, right to the rivers edge in most places, and generally you will want a jet boat of some sort, although I've taken a prop up on occation. As stated, the good spots have been claimed for years by local "river rats" that have cabins in the area, and have spent the time and money building tree stands and clearing access trails. This hunt is not for the new guy looking for a fun time hunting moose and thinking he has a decent chance at a bull, though it could happen, I guess.

Picture of my Gustavus cow;

Quote Originally Posted by alaska viking View Post
    I have hunted the bull season in Gustavus a few times, the last about 7 years ago. It was insane then, and vowed to never do it again. However, I did draw a cow tag there two years ago, and got a HUGE cow.
    I have put in for Berners bull since 1989, but never drawn. I have a couple friends who have drawn, as well as a couple that drew cow tags there, when they were drawing for them,(since dis-continued).
    The last two winters were very hard on the moose in Berners, as well as on the Chilkat penninsula. According to Neil Barten, the area biologist, Gustavus faired better, and there WILL be a cow hunt there this year as well.
    The Taku is a tricky hunt, in that it is very dense brush, right to the rivers edge in most places, and generally you will want a jet boat of some sort, although I've taken a prop up on occation. As stated, the good spots have been claimed for years by local "river rats" that have cabins in the area, and have spent the time and money building tree stands and clearing access trails. This hunt is not for the new guy looking for a fun time hunting moose and thinking he has a decent chance at a bull, though it could happen, I guess.

Picture of my Gustavus cow;

You hit it right on the head as far as Taku goes....I'm fortunate enough to be part of the Taku River Rat crew...My usual hunting party faired well last year...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    You hit it right on the head as far as Taku goes....I'm fortunate enough to be part of the Taku River Rat crew...My usual hunting party faired well last year...
    I go up with Neil A., the "Tropicana", mostly to work on his cabin, and to gillnet. How did you do on the sockeye this year?

I badly wanted to make it up to do the Sockeye gig...but not joy this year...