Thread: just back from Chitina

Default just back from Chitina

Thought I would say my bit for those interested. Went down on Wednesday and took a bike in to my personal favorite spot upsteam from the tunnell. Caught thirteen in three hours from seven to ten pm that night. Slept and had a very good run from five till seven and filled my forty limit. Had two dips with three in it and two with two so plenty of fish in the river. Think that most people are not in a good spot or just not feeling the fish. Know that for myself the new dipnet I have has too much bail to the net and the fish are getting in and out. I have some old nets that I should have taken that have less net and think that I would have been even more successful with them. My rule is that if the water is low, as it was when I was there, fish above the tunnell. If it is high, I go below the tunnell. I have always fished from the road side and have not taken the boat as it would show them my private hole. Also, I'm not a waiter in liner. Had some friends come back this morning who fished the point between Chitina and the bridge. They did very well behind the rock. I rode out pretty overloaded with sixty five fish, big reds this year, no kings for me or my partner. The right angle turn at the creek with the rock above on the way out almost got me. I backed up a bit and stood up over a dry bag full of fish and managed to pull through the bad spot. This was the only problem area for me. I did have a four wheel drive bike with good clearance and a trailer with bike tires. My pet peeve. People who try to go back there with two wheel drive bikes and trailers with small tires. This equipment is not appropriate for the Chitina canyon trail! Good luck and enjoy the fishing.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by thefishknowmyname View Post
    Thought I would say my bit for those interested. Went down on Wednesday and took a bike in to my personal favorite spot upsteam from the tunnell. Caught thirteen in three hours from seven to ten pm that night. Slept and had a very good run from five till seven and filled my forty limit. Had two dips with three in it and two with two so plenty of fish in the river. Think that most people are not in a good spot or just not feeling the fish. Know that for myself the new dipnet I have has too much bail to the net and the fish are getting in and out. I have some old nets that I should have taken that have less net and think that I would have been even more successful with them. My rule is that if the water is low, as it was when I was there, fish above the tunnell. If it is high, I go below the tunnell. I have always fished from the road side and have not taken the boat as it would show them my private hole. Also, I'm not a waiter in liner. Had some friends come back this morning who fished the point between Chitina and the bridge. They did very well behind the rock. I rode out pretty overloaded with sixty five fish, big reds this year, no kings for me or my partner. The right angle turn at the creek with the rock above on the way out almost got me. I backed up a bit and stood up over a dry bag full of fish and managed to pull through the bad spot. This was the only problem area for me. I did have a four wheel drive bike with good clearance and a trailer with bike tires. My pet peeve. People who try to go back there with two wheel drive bikes and trailers with small tires. This equipment is not appropriate for the Chitina canyon trail! Good luck and enjoy the fishing.
    What's a "4-wheel drive" bike? Can't a "bike" be 2WD at best, unless it's trike, then maybe 3WD? If something is 4WD, then it's an ATV or fourwheeler, or some other 4-wheeled vehicle.!! Oh, and one other thing, I wouldnt show anyone my private hole either...hehehe

J/K..Hey what do you expect with just one post... lol Welcome to the forum and thx for your post.