Thread: Hornaday Lever Revolution

Default Hornaday Lever Revolution

Anyone have any info or opinions on this stuff? I am looking for a good all around "Store brand" ammo for my 45-70. The stuff I'm looking at is 325g, 2050FPS. I've bought a box already and I like the way it shoots, but I have not shot any game with it yet. I plan on using it for Bear (Brown and black), and moose.

I've shot a box of the stuff (Marlin 450), I'll have data after my September bear hunt

I don't like the way they feed, in my marlin 45/70. the bullit is to short it's like feeding an empty. Is there a remedy?

I have had no feeding problems at all... Yet to have one bind on me (only one box through though...). I'll watch for that though if its common..... anyone else have any input on these rounds?

Default smaller bullets

I have shot a few boxes through my 30/30 and I like them. They seem to group pretty good, and should be effective for me out to 150+yards. My father lives in Texas and uses them to hunt white tails. He claims them to be the best factory load he has ever shot through his 30/30. He has dropped deer from 65-145 yards with one shot. When he was goofing off, he rolled a coyote at 265yds with a little hold over. Again, this is experience with a 30/30, not the big boomer..

On the down side, I havent seen the rubber-tipped bullets for sell and its supposedly a super secret powder that isnt availible to the public. It is claimed that handloaders will not be able to reproduce the velocities the hornady's are deliverinig. Oh well, for my little gun, they're cheap enough.

Default .35 Rem in LeverEvolution

I have a .35 Rem in a Marlin 336D, with a Leupold Scout scope forward mounted. My 16 yo son shot a .5 inch group at 100 yards...I couldn't believe it. My reloads in this caliber were not this good. So I am pleased with the way this ammo shoots. It also seems to be very close to the advertised fps. no problems feeding at all, in fact it is very smooth.

i have shot a box through my .45-70 and its no joke, this stuff shoots fast and accurate, but im not sure if i would use it on a big brownie or griz. anything else i wouldnt have much of a doubt, but for those big bears i would probably feel better with Garrett Hammerheads or Buffalo Bores heaver cast stuff. best of luck!

Ive shot the Boffalo Bores and they definatly deliver the wallup... The problem is I can't reliably shoot 2-3 rounds consecutively. I don't want to have to rely on my first shot always because there can be circumstances where the recovery/reaquire time may be hindered. Is there another round that has a little better shooting characteristics, that can be store bought, that is out there that anyone knows of? I thought the HLA rounds were a pretty good comprimise but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be all for it....

Thanks again for all the input....

One of the guys here in Powell River was getting 2300 fps with a handloaded and hand cast 405 grain HC gas checked bullet, but found the recoil was extreme, accuracy started to drop off and he felt it was wearing on his Marlin. Moved back to 2150-2200 and was happy.

Some of that 500+ grain HC stuff sure sounds like what the Doctor ordered on a close range bear. Haven't shot any of it yet but I imagine it's a crowd pleaser for recoil.

Default 45-70 in the COLD...

I too am wondering if anybody has tried them in the cold weather lately. I brought some of the 45-70 lever evolution along on a overnight outing and didn't have any chance to try them out. But out of curiosity I tried to put some pressure on the red tip and it didn't seem that pliably after that night in the cold (scary thought). Has anyone tried them out in the cold after the ammo has hardend the red tip? What happened? Did it go bang safetly and not cause the tube of ammo to explode?

Quote Originally Posted by dammdoggs View Post
    Anyone have any info or opinions on this stuff? I am looking for a good all around "Store brand" ammo for my 45-70. The stuff I'm looking at is 325g, 2050FPS. I've bought a box already and I like the way it shoots, but I have not shot any game with it yet. I plan on using it for Bear (Brown and black), and moose.
    I haven't tried it on game, but have some secondhand accounts. By all, and I mean ALL, I've heard it performs on game as well as it shoots on paper. There are no bears in the accounts, but several moose and elk along with a truck load of deer. Some of the deer hunting was done with temps in the teens, and there were no problems.

That's all secondhand, but the guys doing the talking are all pretty sensible guys that aren't quick to jump on fads just cuzz people say they should.

I initially was very excited over this round in my 45-70, which shot very accurately, however I have since found that Hornady shortens the case, probably because of the shape of the bullet in order to get the OAL within specs, so this spoils the case for reloading, which is how I get most of my brass, by buying commercial ammo, and these Hornady rounds are very reasonable $$ right now; as was already mentioned the bullet isn't available for reloaders, which is too bad because it seems like a great bullet up to black bear to me. Recoil seems pretty reasonable for 325 gr pushed to 2050 fps.
    Trying these American Arms cartridges for a source of brass, anybody try em' in 45-70?

Default Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I too am wondering if anybody has tried them in the cold weather lately. I brought some of the 45-70 lever evolution along on a overnight outing and didn't have any chance to try them out. But out of curiosity I tried to put some pressure on the red tip and it didn't seem that pliably after that night in the cold (scary thought). Has anyone tried them out in the cold after the ammo has hardend the red tip? What happened? Did it go bang safetly and not cause the tube of ammo to explode?
    Sure hate to start a new thread on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Sure hate to start a new thread on this!
    Doesn't this suit your needs?

"Some of the deer hunting was done with temps in the teens, and there were no problems."