Thread: Don't get stranded on the Kenai

Default Don't get stranded on the Kenai

For anyone that is new to dipnetting with a boat on the Kenai, watch out for the sand bar just upriver from the launch, becomes visible at lower tides. I almost got stranded on it, but these guys were not so lucky. If I had room in my boat I would have offered to take them. They had to watch the only strong run of the day on Friday from their boat, must have been really frustrating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I have personally been there and done that, it was a drag. There are actually several places to get grounded on between the dock and the bridge. The real problem is once the sandbar is exposed, all the seagulls feed on what's exposed, one must be on their guard, chances are you WILL get crapped on.

I also saw them on Friday and was amazed they were not dipping from the sandbar while stuck on the sandbar. While not as productive as being in the water, I am sure there are fish they could have reached. Better than sitting in the boat, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Juskimo View Post
    I also saw them on Friday and was amazed they were not dipping from the sandbar while stuck on the sandbar. While not as productive as being in the water, I am sure there are fish they could have reached. Better than sitting in the boat, anyway.
    No kidding. They could have made it look like they did it on purpose.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

This is not uncommon at all. Every year there are a handful of boaters who end up spending a tide on that bar. Sonar is a cool invention... so are charts.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    For anyone that is new to dipnetting with a boat on the Kenai, watch out for the sand bar just upriver from the launch, becomes visible at lower tides. I almost got stranded on it, but these guys were not so lucky. If I had room in my boat I would have offered to take them. They had to watch the only strong run of the day on Friday from their boat, must have been really frustrating.

I thought they were clamming.....