Thread: Flying from Alaska to Texas

Default Flying from Alaska to Texas

A guy in Texas will buy my plane but I need to fly it to Texas. Anyone have any advice or happen to be going that way this fall? Will be leaving from Soldotna ending around Texarkana.
    Thanks.
    Steve

Default what type of plane?

my only advice is to make sure you get a deposit so you dont go all that way just to have the buyer back out.

He already offered that

I don't have any advice, but...

Back in 2003 I hunted out of Iliamna, and flew into the bush from Iliamna with a guy named Tommy Taylor. He was from texas, came up in the summer and fall to fly hunters and fishermen into the bush.

I think he might work for Westwind Guide Service now (he was on his own when I flew with him), he had a Cessna and was from Texas. At the end of the season, he'd fly his Cessna back to Texas.

Not sure if that helps you, as I'm not sure how you'd reach Tommy at the moment, but if you really wanted to try I'd reach out to Westwind Guide Service and see if they can help you reach him.

mdhunter is exactly right.
    Tommy flew hunters in from Iliamna to Tony Lee at Westwind Guide Service.
    Tommy is friendly and courtious and will help if he can. He did give me a card a couple years back but you know how those things get lost. Get ahold of Tony Lee, if anyone can reach Tommy, it's Tony.

Default How to get to the lower 48

Hey ...

I have flown to the states five times, three in a Cessna 172 and two times in a Cessna 180. All of those times I wanted to fly the coast because it would be less miles. On every single occasion there was a big red "L" in the way some where along the way. Always flew the trench. The hope were Anchorage to northway: then Northway to Whitehourse: then Whitehourse to Ft St Johns. Then came the long strech, the trench from Ft St Johns to Prince George. At Prince George you connect to the Fraisre River and follow it out to Billingham Wa. I have had to over night twice at Williams Lake because it was not VFR sown the Fraisure River. If your heading inland, I wanted to stay on the westcoast, Along about Prince George You would like head to Calgary.

I do not know what the rules are now but I am sure you will need a passport and insurance. Insurance for Canada and a passport to get back in the US. The last time I went down was before 911, it could be a bit more of a hassel now. I cleared Canadian customs at Whitehourse and American customs at Billingham. On the way back at Chilliwak BC and Northway AK.

Thanks I was wondering what the hops would be, but it looks like its off at least for now. would rather sell it here in AK anyway.
    thanks again.
    steve

Make and model???
    Tim

Its a piper pa 16 with lots of mods ,crosswind stol wing tips, pilot side seaplane door,lot of other stuff. great plane but just bought a super cub and dont need two planes .
    thanks.
    steve

when do you plan to go?
    I may be coming up in my cub with my dad to hunt this fall.
    You can probably just take the AK highway route as you are headed to the east side of Tx

Looks like the trip is off .
    steve