Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mob mentality....who's in

Default Mob mentality....who's in

So, I take my kids to Hope. I guess in my little mind its kind of a low stress kids or newcomers fishery. Or just low stress for guys like me too. Well, no kidding I am hooking these pinks and letting my kids reel them in along with families to my left and right and some fatbody turd 3 some cuts in the middle of the family next to us doing the same thing with a couple of say 10yr old kids. I couldn't believe it! They basically get muscled out by the drunk turds (in $300 waders, $100 glasses...the whole Professional pink fisher getup..funny in itself) who are joking about their accomplishment. (my blood is just boiling now).
    It wasn't five minutes and one of them was waiting right behind my boy and me. I turn and walk back to get another weight and boom he's in. I calmly (which was a feat) told him that would be the poorest decision he would make that day. He moved a long ways away but I wish I didn't have the boy. I'd just have beat on him.
    Wooooooh I got that out.

I say all that to ask if its the worst idea ever to just go down there in a group of about 8 and make sure families like I witnessed don't get bullied out. I feel pretty bad (its burning in my gut) I didn't take up for the other family but I kinda saw the outcome. A 3 on 1 brawl and my boy witnessing that. (not gonna happen)

I don't think of hope as a place to take the kids anymore, and I hate that. I don't go fishing to fight but man they needed beat. I quit fishing the russian because that's the way it ended up it seemed. I am all about low stress fishing. I think that's the idea. However, I'm trying to find an answer to this. Or do we just lose another fishery to A-HOLES?! This is the second time this year I've seen grown men bully kids for pinks at Hope. Where can I take my kids fishing for salmon, now?

I think that most of the people in this newsgroup are good people, enjoy fishing, and enjoy sharing their experiences and advice with others. These are true sportsmen/women. Then you have the others who are idiots by nature who grab a rod, some waders, an attitude, and a few beers and head down to the water. These are not fishermen and are definately not sportsmen.

I think the best thing you could have done, other than not get into it with some drunks who may have had a gun or fillet knife handy, would be to have called the cops who hopefully would have gotten them for being drunk. Too bad you can't put these kind of people someplace like the movie Escape From New York and just let them go at it with each other.

so far we have been doing ok at Jims. It gets crowded but my 6 y/o has a wild cast and I quietly smile while he whips a #4 vibrax by the head of people crowding him. It get their attention and some might think for a second about saying something but they tend to look at me and just give him a little more space. We fish in a group of three and don't ever have less than 2 people fishing. Most people I have found just want to see my son catch a fish!

I would be Pissed too. This is why I hate fishing the rivers south of Anchorage. Bunch of losers and "professionals" who screw everything up for everyone because they have to be so inconsiderate.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Very bad ettiquette. Snaking your way in where others are fishing is extremely rude. You either wait your turn or find another opening in the line up. I would of calmly explained that cutting in is not acceptable behavior. A person should have 3ft of space on either side of them to avoid tangles with the next person. Unfortunately, there are a few inviduals on some crowded rivers that just don't follow the rules.

Angry Not-Cool

That really stinks. I've used Hope the last couple years to take newbies and people who can't get out much as a place to let them have some fun and also as a place for myself to have some fun without the combat-type fishing I see so much at the Russian, Kenai, and other rivers on the road system.

This is the second thread I've seen this year of this type of stuff happening in Hope. Hopefully these type of people will get a clue and go away. It's not good for the people of the town, the visiting fisherman, or for that matter the towns reputation.

I'll be heading down there this next week with some newbies to try and get them on some fish. Realllllly hope I don't have to contend with these type of 'folks'

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Angry friggen know it alls!

It's amazing how people act, when they have a few more cents in their pocket, vs. the average person, and then buy all this expensive gear and think they instantly are a professional fisherman/woman and believe they have every right to be rude to anyone cause of it.
    An accidental hook and tear in there new SIMMS $750 chest waders would be a terrible thing

People like this really chap my hide!

You know this is all carpenters fault on ktuu and that **** fishing report. All he has to do is mention a place let alone show it on tv and the next weekend the place is mobbed with all the idiots from Anchorage..

Default terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Anglette View Post
    An accidental hook and tear in there new SIMMS $750 chest waders would be a terrible thing
    Terrible if that were to happen...just terrrrrrrible.

Default i know just where you're coming from

A couple years ago o.k. maybe 6 or 7 my daughter was around 5 and we were at montana creek and a guy decked out to the nines came in and started fly fishing with these real long back casts. This wouldn't have been a problem except he stepped right in front of my daughter who was digging in the rocks. My wife hollered at my daughter too move just as I turned to see his back cast go over my daughters head, my daughter moved and I started commenting rather loudly the fact that you could see the bottom all the way to the other side and that there were no fish, the water was only ankle deep on the side he was casting to and not deeper than thigh deep all the way across and all the fish were stacked up to where you could touch them with the tip of your pole. If he wanted to fish the other side wade across or cross the railroad bridge which was 10 yards to our right. I know he was trying to fish and my daughter was just playing in the rocks but there was not one other person all the way down to the mouth and he was less Than 15 feet to my left. His back cast just kept getting closer to my wife and daughter as he would angle himself to cast in different directions the line coming back constantly changed directions and he had enough line back there he was getting to the other side of the creek. After all the loud hinting around i did the same as you and let him know the next one even remotely close to my wife and daughter was going to be the worst decision he made that day. He muttered something to the fact about how embarrassing it would be for me to get my butt kicked in front of my wife and daughter except he didn't use the nicer word and neither did I when I told him what was about to happen. I laid down the pole took off the Gore-tex coat and took off the shoulder holster with the casull and his demeanor turned quite pleasant and he decided to move. It's amazing that people act tough, get flat out rude and talk nonsense not knowing whether the other guy is just a little touched in the head and could snap at any minute. I took off the gun as not to intimidate him while handling business but it didn't make it that far. The rest of the day went great we got video of a grizz throwing fish around and some very interesting video of a bear chasing a chum that I was helping my daughter "TRY" to get in. We broke him off rather quickly because it was acting like a lure. I hooked it, she was trying to fight it but it was taking line because she was just a little thing and blam over the far edge came a grizz. After playing him another 30 seconds or so he clued in on her fish and it was time to break him of and back up. She was none to happy and didn't realize he wasn't coming closer for photo opportunities. I have never carried a gun there before or after because we haven't seen any more bears there. We had seen them there on the previous week and they were coming out and running off with peoples packs. Well, except the black bear he just nosed around in your pack and took your Doritos and left the pack. I am not condoning brandishing weapons, that is not what I did. I needed to get mine off before confronting him. I can get squeezed in on and have people cast over me and crowd me and I tolerate it just fine most of the time. I understand some people are new to fishing and need to get adjusted or just get enough time on the water to learn etiquette. But some are just flat rude and don't care it's all about them. There is a big difference in fishing for reds on the kenai and hope for pinks. Bad etiquette is not alright in either but it is expected that I will run into that on the kenai or at the mouths of popular king streams that is why I keep my wife and kids distanced from those. I am a very easy going guy until it comes to my wife or kids being pushed around or being put in a bad situation because of someone nosing in and having lures fly at them from some jack-wad trying to pull his snag free or running through everyones lines hollering fish on with their "snagged" fish every 10 seconds. If my wife and kids are there then that means there is plenty of fish, plenty of room and no other people close by so don't squeeze in between my wife and daughter. I hate that, they fish less than 10 yards from each other so they can help one another out and some one squeezes in with open river on both sides of them. See what you did, you got me rambling just thinking back to that guy.

Default son's the same way

if my son sees someone cut in between my wife and daughter then he does the same and starts casting all off pattern snagging up with my daughter or wife just enough to put the other guy out of business for a few seconds and he has been known to graze a wader here and there. Once the threat level has dissipated he's back to good old follow the rules fishing. He's like me he can tolerate it and get into fishing a pattern around a fool but don't mess with his mom or sister.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticman View Post
    You know this is all carpenters fault on ktuu and that **** fishing report. All he has to do is mention a place let alone show it on tv and the next weekend the place is mobbed with all the idiots from Anchorage..
    If that's true, watch his report and go elsewhere.

My bet is that you'll find crowds there, too................

Quote Originally Posted by cjjeeper View Post
    Terrible if that were to happen...just terrrrrrrible.
    would be even worse if he fell in and his simms waders filled with water and he drownd!

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    If my wife and kids are there then that means there is plenty of fish, plenty of room and no other people close by so don't squeeze in between my wife and daughter. I hate that, they fish less than 10 yards from each other so they can help one another out and some one squeezes in with open river on both sides of them.
    Hmmm,
    You think 10 yards (30 feet) are needed and Steelieguy says there should be 3 feet. I can easily see how there are disagreements on the river bars. I personally will not fish if I am within sight of someone not a member of our group, with the exception being if they are across the river and it is too deep for them to wade it.

10 yards, 30 feet yes when the whole river is open. If it gets more crowded my wife and daughter step back ,they think that their fishing skills cause problems in crowded areas and don't want to deal with other folks. Their casting is not spot on, and their landing techniques need some improvement but they like doing it on their own so if it's down and dirty and people want their big silvers and kings they just wait for a huge open spot. Their main goal in this whole fishing deal is to hook a couple and cut up. So if someone is within three feet of them they are probably in the wrong spot to begin with. If they choose to step into a battle zone they know to expect some close quarters but just stepping in is wrong. I have seen it happen too many times when someone steps back to land a fish and someone jumps their spot because that must be where they are all holding. The worst thing is that I have seen grown men take a kids spot. How is a young kid supposed to do the one handed tail-em, put the rod under the arm, whack-em, string em and resume fishing thing. There is no reason a kid should have to feel rushed or worry about backing up to land a fish because his spot will be taken. I saw that happen to kids at Jim creek and Montana. Some of the easier spots for kids to fish for salmon.

Default Stupid people

I've had the same type of issues out fishing and camping. Whether they are stupid or just rude. I've yet to hit one. I think the more times it happens the closer I get to actually hitting one than just giving one a verbal comment.

I don't like fishing if someone is 3 feet from me. It doesn't allow for a proper drift and makes tangles and landing fish a nightmare. I've had guys come in way too close for comefort. If you wing your hook by their face a couple times normally they get the hint and move. Or rub your weight against there waders when you are pulling your line in.

I just don't understand what drives people to do this. I was fishing the tailrace this morning. I walked down to my spot and saw other people were fishing it. So I moved upstream a ways and waited for them to either limit out, or leave. While I did this 3 other people would just walk down and start casting next to me or the guys fishing that spot. The entire river was open, but they had to fish not 10 feet away from the rest of us.

What I really hate is the people who use their families to muscle in on people. I understand you want to get your wife and kids into fish, and that is great. I love to see little kids hook into big fish. But it is another thing to put your kid 3 feet away from somebody who is fishing one spot, and move your wife three feet away from the guy downstream, to push them downstream, or make them move altogether. It's frustrating.

Usually when somebody pushes their way in on me, I just keep casting where I was to begin with, not caring if I cross their line, or if I hook them in the face. They should show some courtesy and give a guy some space.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Hmmm,
    You think 10 yards (30 feet) are needed and Steelieguy says there should be 3 feet. I can easily see how there are disagreements on the river bars. I personally will not fish if I am within sight of someone not a member of our group, with the exception being if they are across the river and it is too deep for them to wade it.
    If I can touch you with my fishing rod in my extended arm you are too close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast