Thread: Friday Creek 4 wheeler trail

Default Friday Creek 4 wheeler trail

My father and I drew the new DS180 sheep hunt up friday creek, off the knik. I have heard of a 4 wheeler trail that goes up it, but can't find it. So I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the trail or has any additional info about the hunt.

Thanks

Mark

It's on the right hand side just as you enter the gorge from the Knik River valley. It's real steep real quick.

I have that same DS180 tage for 2012. Any suggestion? I was thinking that I'd try to hike up from somewhere between Jim and Friday Creeks...

hey guys,
    i've been up there several times and know the area fairly well. there is an atv trail up both sides of friday creek. both are extremely steep and extremely treacherous. However, i have been up both and find left side to be a little bit more gnarly. If you don't know the knik river basin and the trails it's pretty easy to miss the turn off of the main trail that heads up into the rocky, barren basin where friday creek dumps out of the mtns. It's not really that difficult, I just always seem to miss it even though I've been there many times. When you can see straight up friday creek valley from the main trail that's a pretty good indication it's time to start looking for the trail. I believe it's about 9 miles back from the jim creek parking lot where most people off load. both trails can take you into sheep country, one will probably get you there faster, shorter, and with less alders. the trail to the right side can be found obviously on the right side of the creek at the top of the rocky basin, near the mouth of the canyon. to access the left side you'll have the best luck by crossing friday creek somewhere in the same rocky basin. There is a distinguishable trail leading you right towards the best part to cross. beware, that creek can be gnarly and with the snow we had last winter and the snow that has been falling periodically all summer it's pretty likely to be high. I haven't been up that way yet this summer so i can't say for sure either way. once you cross the creek it's pretty easy to find the trail and begin your descent. i wouldn't attempt the lower hills of either of these trails if you're not confident in your wheelers abilities or your ability on your wheeler let alone the more nastier sections up higher. both trails have been dubbed as "widowmakers" and have severely hurt many people. you can also just choose to walk once it gets too bad because hiking up a mountain on a trail is always better than blindly bustin' through alders all the way to tree line... in my opinion anyway. best of luck to all of you on your sheep hunts. i took my first sheep in this area last year and had the best (and worst) hunting experiences of my life. extremely rewarding and a memory that will last forever.

I have been up the "widow maker" once, and it was the only time for me. It is steep! If your going up or down you better hope for dry trail and good brakes, your gonna need both. I would be more inclined to run up as far as you can comfortably as previously stated and ditch the wheelers their. I would feel better about leaving a machine on the side of a mountain instead of anywhere near Jim creek or Friday creek, Too many theifs. Start hiking the butte every day till you go to get in shape for the hike. Might be to late for that though. Good luck up there