Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40+ caribou kills-Troopers coverup.

Thumbs down 40+ caribou kills-Troopers coverup.

In the Sunday Anchorage daily news, “Troopers investigate mass caribou killings”.

Paragraph 8 said it all, “ I kind of heard it was supposed to be left out of the public- by the state troopers themselves”.

It makes you wonder how many other cover-up there are?

Thumbs down Cover up

I too wonder what is going on! If this would have been done by non-natives or the military you can bet that it would be big news. I also wonder what, if any thing will be done to those that did the killing? Again what is fair for the non-natives should be the same for the possible natives that may have done this.
    Here we go again with two classes of Alaskans!

Default Not a chance

You know there will be a "stern talking to" and nothing else if it is native crime. The article even eludes to that further down. That's why they want to keep it a secret. I still remember the guy on this forum last fall or the one before losing gun and like $2000 for a fork horn with a "gotcha" sticker. He turned himself in too, I believe.
    Better off running for it if you screw up instead of doing the right thing is the message it sends.

Any link? Is it last Sunday's paper, or tomorrows?

http://www.adn.com/wildlife/story/475814.html

Here's the link. I also noticed the comment that who ever did it would get a stern talking to about hunting ethics. I don't care if you are native, non-native, or who ever, killing and wasting 40 caribou should not go unpunished. The number of violations committed should not be ignored.

Since the troopers are investigating, I'm not sure the extent of the cover up but I wonder how the paper found out but I'm glad they did. I didn't see anything in the trooper dispatches.

This is just representative of a whole lot of nasty little bush secrets. They also don't publicly release the rapes, incest, bootlegging, tax evasion, wholesale slaughter of fish and game, the list goes on and so do the incidents. As long as they can keep it all out of the public eye, they can go on living as they choose to. The villagers like it that way, so the govt keeps it quiet. This is not an isolated incident and will recur many times, just as it has in the past. Social ills are way out of control in the bush and villages. Most don't hear of it, as it is kept secret. Too much for most to understand or comprehend, so better off not telling them about it. Very distasteful, but it is the Department of Public Safety that we openly support and deserve. We pay this bunch to ally with the scum of our society. Then when someone tries to fire one, we all get up in arms about it. A bunch more need to be discharged and take away their little club. They have had gag orders ever since statehood about what takes place in the villages. Nothing new.

All you guys fly a rebel flag or what? The story says 40 dead caribou, wait to see what the end brings before spouting off. Any of you actually live in the bush? Working with the elders helps with the next time you have to deal with problems in the village. Cooperation with the elders goes alot farther than just running in and thumping skulls. If you do that, everyone shuts up and you get no info what so ever.

Let's use some caution in the postings, guys, the last thing we need is a native vs. non-native war of words here.
    There are many responsible natives in the villages throughout Alaska and many post here!

Problems exist, but let's not characterize all by a few bad eggs at this point.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    You know there will be a "stern talking to" and nothing else if it is native crime. The article even eludes to that further down. That's why they want to keep it a secret. I still remember the guy on this forum last fall or the one before losing gun and like $2000 for a fork horn with a "gotcha" sticker. He turned himself in too, I believe.
    Better off running for it if you screw up instead of doing the right thing is the message it sends.

That is the exact, sad truth. If it is a Native crime, they'll get a slap on the wrist, anyone else would be getting a big fine and some jail time. This is one thing I would like to see get turned around here in Alaska. Letting alot of the rural natives get away with alot of this kind of crap. Pisses me off really. Especially the crap they do up in the brooks range. Now I'm not just targeting native people here (even though I have mentioned specifically them) but it seems to me the government just ' oh well, oops, don't do it again" that's the way they deal with alot of it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Disgusting

This story is absolutely nausiating. Whoever is responsible should be punished regardless of where they live or what their cultural background is. If it turns out to be residents of Pt. Hope, as the article indicates, the idea of keeping it 'hush, hush' is another glaring example of the enormous double standard that exists in OUR state.

Working with the elders helps with the next time you have to deal with problems in the village.
    The same "elders" that proudly showed me the heads of 6 walruses (with big tusks) in their boat, with no meat to be seen, in Kivalina? And, no, these were not beach pickups either...they openly told me they shot them out to sea. I have lived in various villages..albeit for only summers.. but I witnessed some terrible game violations. I also had the pleasure of being in the field with a guy from Kivalina that took great care with his caribou kills and took every single part of those caribou home. Unfortunately he was a minority in my direct experience with that particular village.

Default You guys are totallly PATHETIC!

"of a whole lot of nasty little bush secrets. They also don't publicly release the rapes, incest, bootlegging, tax evasion, wholesale slaughter of fish and game," BS! Just read the DPS PIO dispatch...PATHETIC!

"Letting alot of the rural natives get away with alot of this kind of crap."

& You wonder why I won't support the NRA, AOC, or ABA...It's this type of RACIST attitude that really irks my ire & it's showing here on this board...Rally the KKK in time of need...

Now I will be the first to tell you that we here in the bush have alot of issues to deal with, & yet it seems, like the Vally Trash or Los Anchorageites, or the Squarebanksians all live in a UTOPIA of lawfullness, when infact, there's really no difference with the major cities of Alaska, than there is with the bush...Just that the media is closer to home there...Heck, even Jeff King's been accused of game violations...

Dang, only took 3 hours for everybody to be called a racist. I thought it would have happened sooner myself.

Gogoalie- Do you honestly believe that fish and game violations in the villages are treated the same as in the road accessable areas?

My personal experience on the lower Kusko and Yukon areas says they are not...Or were not in the 90's and I don't believe much has changed in 15 years.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    ...It's this type of RACIST attitude that really irks my ire & it's showing here on this board...Rally the KKK in time of need...
    Do you think you can actually convince anybody that racism is a one-way attitude, and that Alaska natives are somehow immune from it?

Advisory committee minutes from throughout Alaska are literally full of accusations by locals of "urban" hunters doing this very thing, and often it is nothing but stories passed along that end up being "rural legends".

You wonder why I won't support the NRA, AOC, or ABA..
    Is it racist, or is it because they don't support a rural preference for subsistence, which in itself is prejudiced towards a certain group of people over another?

Default We all make mistakes

I am not for killing 40 animals.But we all do stupid things in our lives.I think alot of you guy's are being to hard on natives.I have only been to one village butt I was treated great.I would like that treatment to continue in the future.So please lay off the native bashing.They are thinking the same way about you.Lets all just get along.Let the police do their work.

Default So we know who committed this???

Are we certain that it was Natives? No. Are all game violations in the bush committed by Natives? No. So, automatically, because it occurred near a bush Native community, it's a Native crime...Heck, it could have been non native hunters who were flown in...There are indications that it may have been locals, but nothing is set in stone just yet...what's the policy here, don't go making accusations without judicial oversight?

& Mark, I ain't answering your question as this is INRE: 40 caribou slaughtered, disgusting, no matter who committed the crime! & if they are Native, they need full brunt of the law imposed upon them & if they don't then I will, indeed be incensed as many are now...

AKDoug, Dan Dahl, who's the WPO out here, does a fine job of citing Native & non native scofflaws...

Jumping to conclusions and making sweeping generalizations about Natives is just wrong. I know there is a divide between non-native hunters and Native subsistence hunters, but come on.

My wife is Alutiiq and grew up in a village on Kodiak, and her father still subsistence hunts and fishes in the surrounding area. My wife, her father, and other village residents (both Native/ and non-native) respect the land and animals. I have never witnessed them “waste” and animal or fish. They are not hunting for trophies and depend on the land and its resources to fill the freezer. Life in a village is difficult, but I have not heard of any of the "Nasty Bush Secrets" that Akres writes about in his post.

What happened to those caribou is a debacle and someone needs to be punished, but making comments that Natives have all of there “alleged” crimes covered up and they get away with everything is completely ignorant. Check out the newspaper or better yet look at the percent of Natives that are incarcerated.

I hope that those of you with these negative stereotypes actually get the opportunity to meet and possibly go hunting/fishing with an Alaskan Native. Reading newspapers, Internet postings, or hearing a story from some Good Old Boy is not the way to educate yourself about Native culture.

What probably happened was what has happened for I would think is as long as people have lived in the arctic. If a band of hunters encounters a group of caribou they will harvest a larger quantity than they can carry. They will dress them out a leave them frozen on the tundra (its frozen there 9 months of the year.) When they have more room at home they will go get more meat where they left it.

It probably was an oversight on someones part or they harvested more than they could use in one winter. Like we've never seen anyone throwing meat out at the dump in Mat-su, Fairbanks or Anchorage. It might be illegal and in most's opinion unethical. But its been that way for as long as people have lived in the arctic. Everyone needs to take a breath and realize this is not a race thing its a location thing. You want to leave caribou stored on the tundra go spend a winter living in Pt. Hope.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast