Thread: Best braid for casting with a baitcaster?

Default Best braid for casting with a baitcaster?

Hi, just looking for advice on the best braid for a baitcaster designed to hold 14 to 20lb mono. I'm looking for something that's between .016 and .020" diameter. Basically looking for a line that casts great whether I'm on a small river and just need a little flip or on the Kenai and want to sail a 3/4 or 1oz spoon just as far as I can heave it.

By the way, do any of you all use Reel Magic on braid? The stuff works incredibly well with mono... really increases casting distance. It also helps lessen backlash frequency (not a great difference but every little bit helps). Kinda seems like it would work little or not at all with braid but I wanted to see what you all think.
    Thanks, Tom

I like Power Pro for bobber & bait fishing Kings & Silvers. The 50 lb line is equivalent to 12lb line diameter.

I use spiderwire stealth 65# and berkeley fire line 20# and can cast as far as the reel will go with either one.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thumbs up Power Pro all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    I like Power Pro for bobber & bait fishing Kings & Silvers. The 50 lb line is equivalent to 12lb line diameter.
    I second the Power Pro. I've used it for years and it is tough stuff and casts great. Only bad thing is if you ever get hung up, you better hope the hook or swivel bends or you'll be cutting the line. You will not break that stuff....

Thumbs up PowerPro

I've used the 65# Power Pro and it works great. Had to switch out this year and tried Spiderwire (same # test) and it was pretty bad. Doesnt move through guides as well, casting is less smooth, less distance; seems to drag or try to cut into guides!! It might just need a break in period, not sure. Anyway, PowerPro is rounder and smoother, and will haul in a whale. Bring a round stick to break off snags though!

There is more than one kind of spiderwire. I dont know what the original spiderwire is like but the stealth is very soft and supple with no inclination as to guide cutting.

Thanks for the advice, Steelie, FishnMan, and RMiller. I guess I will give Power Pro a try... or I might try Spiderwire Stealth if it's on sale. I'm guessing most of you use a mono or fluoro leader? I know some people say a good olive green braid (or whatever camo color) makes it to where you don't need a leader... I've never gone leader-less and don't think I ever would unless the water was really dingy.

By the way, I'm 7 miles from a Cabela's... Let me know if there's anything that's hard if not impossible to find in your area and I'll see if I can find it at Cabela's (they have A LOT more stuff than just what's listed on cabelas.com). Thanks again, Tom

Default It is the Stealth

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    There is more than one kind of spiderwire. I dont know what the original spiderwire is like but the stealth is very soft and supple with no inclination as to guide cutting.
    I believe it is the Steath type I am referring to. Just seems like its not as round or smooth, just my opinion.

I got tired of the braids eating eyes. So now I only run braid on my inline rods. I have power pro on one and some other kind on the other. The power pro feels a bit better but I can't for the life of me remember what the other stuff is.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    I believe it is the Steath type I am referring to. Just seems like its not as round or smooth, just my opinion.
    Maybe you got a bad batch or I got a good batch.

I used the 65# stealth and loved it for Kings and Silvers.

I have power pro on one rod now and fireline on another. Both of these lines are much stiffer than the Stealth line was but they both work beautifully.

I use Lamiglas rods and the line does not cut the guides at all.

I used that spool of spiderwire stealth for three years and never broke it one time. I would peel a few feet off every now again. I broke the 20# fireline the other day.

The general recommendation is to go by diameter. If you like casting 12# mono, go for braid that has the diameter equivalent to 12# mono. You're right, a lot of people use a short topshot of mono on braid for some stretch and invisibility in the water. I've snapped lures straight off the rod tip while using 50# braid because i forgot to release the spool clutch before casting, this line has no give or shock absorbsion on its own. What's good though it you get jaw ripping hook sets.

The first thing you'll notice is sensitivity, if you thought you could tell what was going on at the end of your line with mono, you'll be surprised how much more info comes up the superlines. There are 3 main types of superlines -- braided, fusions, and hollow core. braids are exactly as the name suggests and the texture of the braid causes howling and squeals going through guides while fusions are smooth encased bundles of inline fibers and they'll be quieter going through the guides, Hollow core is mostly heavy saltwater use so it's not an issue here.

the 2 you were looking at are completely different lines. PowerPro is a braid and Spiderwire Stealth is a fusion. Fusions are usually cheaper, i find they shred apart more easily but everybody probably gets different mileage from their lines.

Green is the most popular color but it doesn't really matter what you get. All colors of superlines, red, yellow, green, black, and white, will all eventually go white because the dyes don't penetrate the fiber, it's all on the surface.

Default I stand corrected...

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    It was actually called "Ugly Braid" from Spiderwire. Maybe that's their low-end braid. It certainly has more drag to it than Power Pro!!

It was actually called "Ugly Braid" from Spiderwire. Maybe that's their low-end braid. It certainly has more drag to it than Power Pro!!

from shakespeare maybe? i don't think spiderwire has a line called ugly braid.

powerpro...braided line is a double edged sword tho...nice for man-handling the fish, bad for tangles!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Red face Hiccup

Quote Originally Posted by littles View Post
    from shakespeare maybe? i don't think spiderwire has a line called ugly braid.
    I stand corrected again. I swear I'm gonna quit sniffin glue one of these days.

I stand corrected again. I swear I'm gonna quit sniffin glue one of these days.
    I laughed so hard I had tear in my eyes.