Thread: How to get to the Glacier?

Question How to get to the Glacier?

How do you get to the glacier from Jim Creek? Is it difficult getting there? And how many creeks do you have to cross? I've road around jim creek for a while and have never been to the glacier.
    any responses are appreciated. thanks

Your best bet is to go to JC and then follow some people up to the glacier. Basicaly though from the dunes you stay in the middle trails and go up to Friday Creek where you turn left and have to go up the creek and find one of the two trails that goes thru the woods under Wolf Point and comes out in the flats. Then you stay in the middle to right trails all the way up to the glacier. On the way back the trails will try to drag you to the right and the swamps, stay way left till you get back to wolf point.
    There is no one trail going up there (thru the wolf point trees there are two main ones) there is a maze of trails headed up there and everywhere else. You're only hope is follow some people or get GPS corods from someone here. You'll be like a rat in a maze otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Your best bet is to go to JC and then follow some people up to the glacier. Basicaly though from the dunes you stay in the middle trails and go up to Friday Creek where you turn left and have to go up the creek and find one of the two trails that goes thru the woods under Wolf Point and comes out in the flats. Then you stay in the middle to right trails all the way up to the glacier. On the way back the trails will try to drag you to the right and the swamps, stay way left till you get back to wolf point.
    There is no one trail going up there (thru the wolf point trees there are two main ones) there is a maze of trails headed up there and everywhere else. You're only hope is follow some people or get GPS corods from someone here. You'll be like a rat in a maze otherwise.
    You forgot to include the left at Albuquerque

DWS is correct. Best to follow someone that has done the trail recently.

Many seasoned riders get disoriented in the maze of trails. A GPS or good sense of direction will fill your main sail.

Not to hijack and sorry if I am, but how is Jim Creek right now? I've heard it was up and wheelers couldn't get across.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    Not to hijack and sorry if I am, but how is Jim Creek right now? I've heard it was up and wheelers couldn't get across.
    Maybe your wheeler, not mine, never happen on jim creek

I don't really know, I haven't been there since thursday night. i do know that a real lot of rainwater going into the lakes will raise JC.

[quote=dws;310772]Maybe your wheeler, not mine, never happen on jim creekquote]

Yeah, you're snorkled and mine weighs a few pounds more than yours.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Question how long does it usually take?

How long does it take to get there starting at jim creek around September and October.I heard its 2 to 3 hours

Went across the creek not too long ago and no issue. Just have to pre-wade the creek to find the shallows. I had to go out to the middle and drive up the sandbar in the middle about 150' then make a left turn to get across. Creative creek crossing. Anyways the river was up and in several new places as of recent. Just take waders and you can make it out. The worst part of the trip is the swamp prior to wolfpoint. If you take all the trails and just stay left you can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakay93 View Post
    How long does it take to get there starting at jim creek around September and October.I heard its 2 to 3 hours
    It's a little over 20 miles from the dunes. It's a little over an hour if ya drive like us. 40-50-60 mph when ya can and ya can on a lot of it.
    You really have to be slowpoking along to take 3 hours.

Did the run to Metal Creek (no one is crossing Metal right now, not even you DWS, that thing is rolling) and back Friday in about 3 hours, my son drove part of the way back. I crossed the first time at about the old mountain bike (on far side). Made it pretty much in two wheel drive the whole way and back. The long mud holes have eroded to the point that they are all rock on bottom. The only problem I had was crossing I think, Friday creek. Water was only 6 inches deep but the loose sand was quite deep. Got off and pushed while my 10 year old drove, got right out. Coming back accross Jim's at the bike I missed my spot, as I'm there looking three Hondas cross at the tree line in maybe 12 inches of water all the way accross. Someone has actually marked one of the trails with survey tape, you can follow it and all the tracks to Metal Creek. By the way, whoever cleared out the trail in the trees after Jim's Creek, thanks, that had to be a lot of work.

Default Glacier Bay one of seven NATURE'S SEVEN GREATEST WONDERS

Indeed that Glacier Bay one of seven NATURE'S SEVEN GREATEST WONDERS?

http://www.3planeta.com/subject/naturewonders.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Did the run to Metal Creek (no one is crossing Metal right now, not even you DWS, that thing is rolling) and back Friday in about 3 hours, my son drove part of the way back. I crossed the first time at about the old mountain bike (on far side). Made it pretty much in two wheel drive the whole way and back. The long mud holes have eroded to the point that they are all rock on bottom. The only problem I had was crossing I think, Friday creek. Water was only 6 inches deep but the loose sand was quite deep. Got off and pushed while my 10 year old drove, got right out. Coming back accross Jim's at the bike I missed my spot, as I'm there looking three Hondas cross at the tree line in maybe 12 inches of water all the way accross. Someone has actually marked one of the trails with survey tape, you can follow it and all the tracks to Metal Creek. By the way, whoever cleared out the trail in the trees after Jim's Creek, thanks, that had to be a lot of work.
    Yeah I agree...the clearing out on the trails was awesome!! Thanks to whoever went at it with their chain saw.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Default About 40 guys

from the Alaska ATV Club, Denali Offroad and Alaska Extreme 4X4 truck clubs went through the old trail 2 weeks ago. Glad to see someone is using it!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default how far

can you get in a stock 4x truck with posi in the back and bit over stock tires? heard at work that if the creek crossings are right it can be done??

I grew up in Montana testing the limits of a '77 shortbox dodge but that was mostly rock hopping in the mountains (lots of creek crossings) and diggin out of stock ponds on the flats of eastern MT.

Someone had made it back there with highway tires as I followed their tracks all the way back to Metal Creek. Prolly a jeep though as it went through some narrow chutes. My biggest concern would be Friday Creek as I found the silt in some areas very deep. Cross near the top of the crossing instead of the bottom where I did and it should not be too much trouble. I would stop at Metal Creek regardless.

Default Can be done

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    can you get in a stock 4x truck with posi in the back and bit over stock tires? heard at work that if the creek crossings are right it can be done??

I grew up in Montana testing the limits of a '77 shortbox dodge but that was mostly rock hopping in the mountains (lots of creek crossings) and diggin out of stock ponds on the flats of eastern MT.
    I've made it to Meal Creek several times in ford rangers and s-10's. The only time I had an issue was with an ext cab s-10 and we got caught on a trail the was a little too skinny and corner too tight. We coudn't make the corner cleanly and a few fender dents and a bent tailpipe later, we were outta there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Did the run to Metal Creek (no one is crossing Metal right now, not even you DWS, that thing is rolling)
    Hey now I did cross that thing in July when it was bad, bad. Not on an atv though. In my Bigrig with 48" apple tires. We were almost all the way across to the far bank when the truck started floating, I thought we were done for and would be washed into the lake when ONE TIRE grabbed the bank and we shot up it, to safety

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

There are people taking stock trucks all the way back, to Metal Creek at least, EVERYDAY of the year. It's not much of an accomplishment as you can take 2 wheel drive cars back there if you have some occasional help from someone with 4 wheel drive.