Thread: Reforming 06 to 9.3x62

Default Reforming 06 to 9.3x62

I have read that many form 9.3x62 form 35 whelen or 30-06. I know that the case head/base diameter of the 9.3 is larger than the -06 I read an article a while ago that stated the minimum chamber diameter for the 9.3 is .4776" and the 06 or whelen run .464 to .466"
    This would indicate a .012 to .014 expansion - in a minimum chamber. The article goes on to state. 'any time case expansion above the web approaches wall thickness, case failure becomes almost certain.' with some caveats re:brass hardness, number of loadings etc.

I am an enthusiastic handloader but no expert. The above makes sense, but can anyone shed some light? I am sure many have used -06 brass witout problem (I know two) . I have ordered lapua brass as I don't want the niggle in the back of my mind and ,well, lapua is excellent brass.

Cheers.

'

Default check this old thread

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...0323#772100323

It can be done but it is much easier to just buy 9.3 brass.

$39 for 100 sounds much, much easier..............http://www.grafs.com/metallic/829
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

It is simpler and "better" to use Graf, Norma or Lapua brass-readily available. I use the aught six brass for both the .338-06 w/neck bushing die and for the old war-horse classic.

With my 9,3x62 I use the no-nonsense available brass-excellent stuff without question.

I would not screw with it, I have several hundred new RWS brass and several hundred Lapua brass that I have never evan used because the cheap Graf brass seems to work just fine and I will probably not wear out in my lifetime the five hundred or so of those I have.

To be clear, I had no intention of using 06 brass. I have 100 lapua in hand and a box of 285 Lapua bonded factory ammo as I just couldn't wait for dies! The 35 gibbs is on its way because fire forming and moving the shoulder is too onerous for me.

I thought it an interesting topic as I have been advised on this site to "just use 06 brass" which I believe might not just be cheap but inadvisable to say the least.

Maybe custom chambers are tighter and folks are "getting away with it"

regardless, when dealing with contained explosions close to my face, I just can't entertain doubt.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    $39 for 100 sounds much, much easier..............http://www.grafs.com/metallic/829
    Thanks for the good site. I was using Auction Arms and paying $55 with shipping.

Default Yes It Can Be Done!

I have successfully fire formed Winchester 30-06 and Greek HXP 30-06 military surplus brass to 9.3 x 62. I use a .375 H&H expander ball, (paper patched) 180 grain .357 bullets and fast pistol powders (Alliant's Steel, Blue Dot, and Unique). The process follows:

1. After applying case lube to the inside of the case mouth, with one stroke of the press ram, expand the case mouth to .375.

2. Check for a square case mouth. If it is not square, use a case trimmer to square the mouth.

3. Resize (partially) the case neck-shoulder area using a 9.3 x 62 full length sizing die so that the action just closes on the case with some (slight) resistance.

4. Reload the case using one of the following formulas with a paper patched 180 grain .357 bullet:

Alliant Steel 20.3 grains
    Alliant Blue Dot 20.6 grains
    Alliant Unique 19.3 grains

5. Fire the cartridge, full length size the filled out case, and trim it to 9.3 x 62 spec length.

An alternate for step 4 is to use paper patched .350 round balls and 29.3 grains of Unique.

Note: paper patching means increasing the diameter from .357 to .366 by raping the bullet with thin paper to the desired diameter and lubing the paper with wax or oil.

Final note
    Use common sense when adjusting the above procedure. If you decide to use, for instance, Partisan 286 grain .366 bullets then use an appropriate powder charge for that weight bullet or stick to the reloading manual for powder reloading data.

Default 9.3x62 Case Dim.

Not sure where you are getting your case head dimension spec.

My reference - Ken Howell's "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges" lists the 9.3x62 at 0.470" - pretty much the same as the '06. This is case maximum dimension, which should be chamber minimum.

By all means, leave the good brass to folks who can and know how to use it.

35 Gibbs is no problem either. I form for the .30 Gibbs. You do need to expand up to .375 to get a false shoulder before the first fire-forming. 35 Whelen brass would be best. Isn't Buzztail Brass like $2.00/case for formed/headstamped cases?

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your case head dimension spec.

My reference - Ken Howell's "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges" lists the 9.3x62 at 0.470" - pretty much the same as the '06. This is case maximum dimension, which should be chamber minimum.

By all means, leave the good brass to folks who can and know how to use it.

35 Gibbs is no problem either. I form for the .30 Gibbs. You do need to expand up to .375 to get a false shoulder before the first fire-forming. 35 Whelen brass would be best. Isn't Buzztail Brass like $2.00/case for formed/headstamped cases?
    I think you're 9.3x62 dimensions .470" is for the head (rim) diameter and that is close enough to the '06 but the body diameter at the base is about .477" and the '06 is about .470" ish (this is all from memory). It does infact leave a pronounced bulge at the base when the '06 case is fired in a 9.3x62 chamber. The false shoulder and necking and renecking is a lot of trouble not to mention the fireforming. Yes it can be done and I've done it several times. If the 9.3x62 brass wasn't available, it may would be justified but since we have so much good brass here, there is no logical reason to do it.

The 9.3x64 case is rather limited in availablity but can't be formed form anything found around today. The 8x68 will work but it is more rare. We are at the mercy of the custom brass houses with some of these. That however is part of the fun, I guess, scrounging brass and making some obscure ammunition that no one can buy.

The Gibbs is 30-06 based with the shoulder mooved forward. I made mine with Huntington's 30-06 basic, cylindrical brass. Expensive but better and the reforming can be done in a pinch so a guy should know how to do it.

Ken's book is a must for us Wildcatters.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    To be clear, I had no intention of using 06 brass. I have 100 lapua in hand and a box of 285 Lapua bonded factory ammo as I just couldn't wait for dies! The 35 gibbs is on its way because fire forming and moving the shoulder is too onerous for me.

I thought it an interesting topic as I have been advised on this site to "just use 06 brass" which I believe might not just be cheap but inadvisable to say the least.

Maybe custom chambers are tighter and folks are "getting away with it"

regardless, when dealing with contained explosions close to my face, I just can't entertain doubt.

Cheers
    The Gibbs form from 30-06 cylindrical brass (pricey and work good but the 93 is bigger at the base but similar at the shoulder (moved forward). There is no reason to form 9.3x62 from 30-06 since we have brass available.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?