Thread: Did I screw up?

Unhappy Did I screw up?

I have drawn a DB766 Grizzly bear tag, I also have a Caribou tag but that's not the bad part. After speaking with my guide today, he informed me we will only be flying out of Kotzebue about fifty miles. Sounds to me like I'm one of those guys that thought he was getting a good deal on a Bear and Caribou hunt only to find out ill be dropped on the squirrel river with my guide, possibly elbow to elbow with other hunters I fear. Can anyone offer me any hope for a successful hunt, or have I pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If it was that bad those hunts just would not sell.

Maybe the squirrel river has awesome hunting.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Hmmm...

Maybe it is just closer to Kotz and the pilots can run more people (make more money) if they take shorter trips. I am not sure why you are locked in on the Squirrel. Are they telling you where they are taking you? If you are stroking the check, seems to me that decision would be up to you. Their job should be to give you options. I float rivers out of Kotz in the Fall and there are lots of places to hunt.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

There is lots of good hunting country within 50 miles of Kotz. Very few people go there to just target grizzlies, so the competition can be light. As for caribou, they are where you find them.

you might just run into guys beggin you to shoot bears they've spotted, not everyone will be after bears and you'll be in a good spot 50 miles is quite a ways, all my guided hunts are within 50 miles of towns and we do really well.
    I've killed some great bears within 25 miles of towns.
    have hope, lotsa country out there!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I' ve had great luck about 30 miles out.

Default i can help

ill trade you a cow moose tag for it, ill be north of Kotz this fall...if your real worried...
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Talking What a relief

Thank you for all the input guy's, I am now back too being extremely excited about my hunt. I had been informed by one guy that the squirrel was being way over hunted and was not a quality hunt. Thanks for setting my mind at ease.

Thumbs up

Steeleboy,
    We want a full report with all of the details and pics when you return.

Good luck and hunt safe!

Someone's been listening to Walt a little too much!!!!!

The 766 permit is a fall permit for a specific area. You'll have to hunt that area to use it. Plus, you'll have to use a guide that is legal to guide that area. Since your stuck hunting that place for bear, you'll have hunt there for bou as well, or maybe slip your guide some more money to take you somewhere else for bou.
    Try and work with your guide to get to Kotz when there are bou in your hunt area. The squirrel generally has bou move thru, it is just a matter of when.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default ummm

I believe that db766 pretty much encompasses the Squirrel. http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/GIS/m...bear/db766.pdf

I'm not familiar w/the guide outfit though, but should be able to tell via his website. Have a good hunt.