Thread: cordova: things to do.

Default cordova: things to do.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on things to do in cordova. I'll be coming to Ak. in the middle of august to work and will have a few days of free time to fish around. Im on an extremely limited budget, and plan to only spend money on food and tackle. Any good places to shore fish? any good trails to check out? I plan to outfit my gear in cordova as well. Is there a certain shop i should go too? Any tried and true lures that need to be in my tackle?

any and all responses are appreciated.

-bass

Make your way out to the Million Dollar Bridge. There is a good view of the Miles Glacier from there, and with any luck you might see it calve and throw salmon on the banks in a huge wave. The other side of the bridge offers what is now basically a well defined trail that is nice to hike and perfect for a bike.

The silver run should be in full force at that time on the Copper River. Spend a little money in a local shop/restaurant/whatever and ask where to fish. Stock up on Pixies (specific brand of spoon) and hang on. Others will swear by Vibrax spinners.

Spend your food budget on charcoal and whatever you think goes well with salmon.

greenhead, thanks for the reply. ive been made aware of the vibrex and pixies by a few people... they also work here in Mi.. any certain size i should go with?

my job will have me in a remote location so going to the local shop wont be possible. thus stocking up on just the essentials is the plan. I'll be bringing my vise and some materials to help round out the options.

whats transportation like in cordova? im not apposed to putting one foot in front of the other, but where should i look for transportation to get to the copper or the million dollar?

Where exactly are you going to be? If you are near the sound, I would think you could do pretty well shore fishing.

For shore fishing, I use the 5/8 oz spinners and the larger size pixies, I think they are also 5/8 but am not sure. I like the heavier sizes for increased casting distance.

Hitchhiking out to the bridge may be your best bet. I can't really think of a better option.

Default Transportation in Cordova

Just got back from Cordova about a month ago. Walking around town and the harbor area is no problem. It just isn't that big. But to get out of town will require some wheels. There's no public transportation to speak of. You might be able to hook up with one of the local outfitters for a day trip out to the glacier, but that's about it.

Vehicle rentals will cost you about $55 per day for a car or $75 for a SUV. For that you'll get a sound running vehicle with good tires and about 100k on the odomerter. Unless they've got a real clunker to rent you, they require you to rent a SUV to take on gravel roads - the road to the glacier is gravel for the last 30 miles.

I would not recommend trying to hitch hike out to the glacier unless you're guaranteed a ride back into town. They may not get 20 cars a day out there and you could risk getting stuck.

Don't be afraid to ask around in town. They are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet and are willng to help you out any way they can.

I really appreciate the replys.

As this adventure gets closer i can start to feel the unmistakable thump of anticipation running through. Ive been taken back by the general kindness of those on this forum, especially those living in AK. The evidence is all through out this site... from the TASF thread to the quality of responses to others questions and so on. I cant wait for this to all begin. If I could meet anyone of you and share a drink in cordova i would gladly do so.

so as a last minute... is there anything else i should have other than my assortment of vibrax and pixies? Anyone interested in doing some shore fishing anytime from the 15-18th?

thanks again

-bass