Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Anybody Running The New Argo "Avenger"

Smile Is Anybody Running The New Argo "Avenger"

I've had Argo's before and for my money, you can not find a better machine (for what I need to do). However, I have not had any experience with the new "Avenger" model. I have run "Conquest" models with tracks in the winter BUT I'm wondering if anybody is running with the new rubber tracks available on the "Conquest" and if so, what do you think of them? Just doing my homework before I buy.

Default Off subject...

but how much are the new argos going for?

Tim

MEtracker ,

I have been running 5 argo conquest for the last few years in my business and I know a few guys that have the Avengers and I have not added them to my business because if the track question you ask...The guys I know say and I have seen it that the guides on the tracks bust very easy and All season Argo said they are working on building a stronger guide, The other down side as you might know is with the plastic tracks you can take a link out to tighten them the only way to tighten the rubber tracks is with air pressure once your tires are at max your tracks are no good, I do not know about you but I run 5 lbs of air in the center 2 tires and 3 lbs in the front and rear in all my argos makes turning alot easier, The new Avengers next year are also going to be geared lower as they have been having a few problems with the tranny in them now

As far as Conquest rubber tracks they do not make them I was in there the other day and Jason said alot of people were trying to put the rubber Avenger tracks on the conquest and burning up trannys and engines.

If you know someone else other than argo thats making rubber tracks please...do tell.....

Roger

Roger,
    I have a 05 Avenger that I bought with a set of tracks, as you mentioned I had a lot of problems with the plastic tire guides, I understand that Argo has some new guides they are trying but I haven't seen them, I found tracks at www.argorsbolduc.com that looked good and after talking to them, bought a set, from what I was told they are made by the same people that make the Argo tracks only they are 20" wide and have metal guides, plus they make them for all Argo's, 6 or 8 wheel, I have not had any problems with mine and have had them on since late last fall.

Rick

Default Avenger

My family has been using Argos since the early 80's. We are now running the Avengers and they are top notch. I dont have the tracks but my uncle does and I went everywhere he did on last falls moose hunt. They definatly help, but I think the tracks are awful hard on the machine it seems like the argo has to work harder to manuver around. I'm sure on the snow it would be a different story.

Thumbs up More HP

The 2007 Argo Avenger will have as an option a fuel injected 31 HP motor. No more carb problems and much more power. With the tranny option for tracks it will not hurt the Argo to run tracks in the least. I hear they will be about $3000 more than 2006 with the engine option included. I want to get one as it's the only way to get way back with out any problems like our 4 wheeler friends have with the mud and swamps. Like the thread above noted try to get the tracks from that store in Canada as they are better than stock.

Are the Argo's and Max's compareable? I've never run either one. Just curious.

Default Avenger Tracks

Ric, are the tracks you bought for the Avenger plastic or rubber. I'm running just tires on my Avenger and have had no problems going anywhere moose hunting. I don't use the machine in the winter though.
    Mark.

Default Argo and Max

Farmer Grant both the Argo and the Max are good. They are both built a little different but both perform well. Argos cost more but you get what you pay for. Argo also has 8 wheelers available. Max are made in in the USA and the Argo in Canada. Just my opinion but an Argo Avenger on rubber tracks is heaven on earth.

Default Argo

Guys, just thought I'd chime in with a plug for the Avenger.
    I used to hunt a local spot that got taken ove by 4 wheeler gangs several years ago. It is a great spot and usually holds some legal moose this time of year, but with all of the people out there just driving around there was to much competition so I moved on.

Anyway, with all of this rain I didnt know if anybody could get into this spot so I decided to give it a try. When I got out there I found 3'-5' of standing water in the trails with a very soft mushy bottom, perfect conditions for the Avenger! It had just enough flotation to keep you out of the mush and we swam our way out where nobody else was able to go this year. I saw where the 4-6 wheelers had tried but turned around.

Long story short I swam out and found it to be like opening morning. Lots of moose and they were not spooked at all. We passed on one bull that we were 95% sure was legal, and later found a fork and my buddy shot him. In all we saw 3 bulls and several cows.

With out the Argo we would not have been able to get out there.

I know the wheelers have there place, but for me its Argo all the way!!

Default Always a place for Argos

Northriver 21 you made a good choice on that hunt. There are plenty of swampy wet areas in Alaska where you can only use an Argo or something along those lines. Let the fourwheelees have the drier areas with little or no moose due to the hunting pressure. Pick an spot thats swampy somewhere along the way and you will lose all the pressure and fourwheelees behind. Almost as good as flying out, maybe even better as you don't have to walk once you get to the hunting area. The best part is that the Argos don't tear up the ground like the fourwheelees and they can haul much, much more gear for that ultimate hunting camp. Now don't get me wrong as four wheelees do have their place but when it comes to hunting that place is in the back of a truck.....for traction! Perhaps we can convert those four wheelees into trailers that we can tow behind an Argo or Max....Nah, they still wouldn't float.

Just when I thought I'd get a 4-wheeler, these little birds keep chirping in my ear. Does anyone in Kenai or Soldotna sell Argos? I'd like to call for prices or go check them out. They seem a bit slow though. How many of you Argo guys actually use them in the winter?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Winter fun

Anchorage has the only dealership in Alaska. The Argo Avenger goes very well on snow with it's optional rubber tracks. It will go thru very deep snow due to the low ground pressure. With a cab and the heater on you will stay warm and toasty. The top speed is only 20 MPH but it will go anywhere and when your hunting birds or rabbits in the winter thats fast enough. It will go thru deeper snow than snowmachines at slow speed which is good when your in the tight stuff or stop and go stuff like when your hunting in the Mtns. Snowmachines are the way to go for most winter travel but if your lookig for an all around all year rig the Argos or Max can't be beat. Tracks in winter and real swamy stuff and wheels the rest of the time. Haul big loads and stay warm and dry.

Mark,
    The tracks that I bought for my Avenger are rubber, they look the same as the stock tracks only they are 2" wider and have metal tire guides and backing plates, look at the link on my first reply. I've been running them for almost a year now with no problems. I guess it's all about where you are wanting to go but if it's muddy and swampy then tracks are the way to go.
    Rick

Mark

You guys had better stop plugging the Argos. I'm seeing more and more of them.

Pretty soon folks will be invading those new hunting spots we've found with their own, new Argos.

I know. I was one of the first guys in the Valley with an ATV in the early 80's.

I was also one of the first to abandon them after a family jewel of a hunting spot got invaded by folks who bought their own, and followed my tracks.............

Default Rev Kit em

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    Just when I thought I'd get a 4-wheeler, these little birds keep chirping in my ear. Does anyone in Kenai or Soldotna sell Argos? I'd like to call for prices or go check them out. They seem a bit slow though. How many of you Argo guys actually use them in the winter?
    I have a few friends who run both Max's and Argos and have modifeid the motors with Rev Kit's and some other parts. They get them from a Company that sells Lawnmower engine racing parts. They have had the mods now for quite awhile and they seem fairly durable.

The rev kit lets you push the motor to around 6000 rpm's.

One of the guy's has a newer Max and a 23 HP motor, he put a Rev kit and some other stuff in there and has around 33 hp? His Max will do 35 or 37 according to GPS. Amazing machine which had considering them for hunting instead of a quad.

The other Argo has a ton of power ,has hauled out a 1500 lbs moose and has been very reliable. Get's you out to your hunting spot, Dry and comfortable and able to stay out much longer due to being dry and warm..

and they can climb boulders that other atv's wont have a chance to even consider going over....

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by beungood View Post
    I have a few friends who run both Max's and Argos and have modifeid the motors with Rev Kit's and some other parts. They get them from a Company that sells Lawnmower engine racing parts. They have had the mods now for quite awhile and they seem fairly durable.

The rev kit lets you push the motor to around 6000 rpm's.
    Jack
    Who makes these rev kits and where do you get them???
    Anyone else have experience using these kits with tracks? How about some before and after the rev kit comparisons? My brother and I have an '04 Conquest with the Yamaha in it and our ABSOLUTE BIGGEST complaint is the lack of power in the winter with the tracks on it. We run in Northern Ontario, mostly in the winter with the 20" plastic supertracks. The machine is pretty good in the deep snow but a dog when you start manoeuvering. Even in low gear it doesn't seem as strong as it should be.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Paul

Hi Paul,

I am doing a search of my files as I did copy some of the info. I am not sure what motor your running in your Conquest but here is a copy of a post on Route6x6.com which has a wealth of information and people who can help you.

They were really good when I began my search and assembled a bunch of people together with different machines when I wanted to check them out. I know there are several up in your area that run tracks here is the post copy:
    Route 6x6 Discussion Board: Restoration of older ATV's: Argo
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Bob Shelver (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:53 am:

The engines RPM is controlled both by the driven and the drive clutch,
    however the drive clutch is the big player. The driven clutch controls
    your shift pattern but the drive clutch controls your load on the
    engines ability to build RPM and bottom line the engine must be able
    to run at 34 to 37 hundred RPM all the time or you don't get what the
    engine is suppose to put out 18HP and 29 FT Lb torque. The Response is
    under powered at higher elevations and especially with snow tracks.
    This is not a doom and gloom I have a search and rescue that has
    Response with Super tracks full cab radio and rescue equipment on
    board and the do fairly well in the 6 to 8 thousand ft range. We have
    discovered that the #1 position is not as necessary as first thought,
    most of the ones we do now are in the #2, the "G" is a must in the
    Response. What we do to the driven clutch I would not recommend the
    average Joe take this on as a weekend project. The clutch is a
    balanced unit and must be modified carefully or you can damage your
    engine. If you get with me off line at docurly@coffey.com I can see
    what you need and go from there

Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
    http://www.route6x6.com/cgi-bin/discus4/show.cgi?6/44

If you have the Kohler Engine these people can help you:http://www.lakotaracing.com

I will find the other place that has rev kits...

Good luck,

Jack

Default escargotracks

Anyone ever check these tracks out? They say they have good water spped and can claw out of broken ice pretty good.

www.escargotracks.com

Has anyone found more info on the Rev Kits for the argo? I have a Conquest and might would be intrested in one of the kits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast