Thread: Good gear doesnt need to be pricey or my new pack

Default Good gear doesnt need to be pricey or my new pack

So here's my new pack. 600D coated nylon, 2 large side pockets, over 9,000 cubic inch capacity, matching detachable bow quiver, double stitched and exactly the features I was looking for. Cost?......$179.95 including shipping, I made the bag for the pack and got the frame cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Wow Rick(y)!
    You'll make someone a fine wife with seamstress abilities like that!!!
    Seriously, I wish I had that skill. I'd love to make my own bag. That thing looks big enough that you could use it for a bivy shelter if you had too. No problem dropping a quater in if you wanted to.
    What frame do you have?

Did you take pics as you went? I'd really enjoy a "build-a-long".
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The frame is a no name pack frame from 3 bears, I had it under weight on a few training hikes and so far it has done amazingly well for a 70 dollar frame. The fabric and hard wear cost about 80 dollars and I have lots of hardware left. The remaining 30 bucks was eaten by shipping. I didn't think to take any pics but I maybe building another pack soon. On this one I basically built from "prints" in my head but I could make a pattern set if you wanted. This pack was designed to be bigger than I would ever need and be used in different configurations. I designed the main compartment really big so that oddly shaped objects(like front quarters) will fit easily. The 2 side pockets actually fold in to become back pockets, that can hold all my gear, when I'm not hauling meat. When the main pocket is full all I have to do is tighten the compression straps and head out, I should never need to shift gear around or worry about bloody clothing/gear again.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Rifle carrier

Dude your pack looks sweet! You have the skillz to put a rifle carrier on it.
    I would do that or order a Kifaru rifle carrier for about 40.00.

Sweet rig.

Thanks for sharing,

Sincerely,

Thomas

How much does it weigh??
    Did you have a pattern? If you did, please let me know. I'd sew one for myself (after I get all my curtains completed).

Looks great, by the way. Good on you for being so frugile.

Oh and by the way... nice sewing machine in the backround of picture 1.

It's pretty.
    Lurker.

Not sure on the weight, I'm guessing a bit heavy, I'll be going with a lighter fabric for my next pack. (The stuff I used shrugs off a field point shot from a 25# pound recurve at 20 yards) Tracy has suggested I come up with a line of custom gear for sale so I'll be testing several prototypes and maybe asking for input on designs this fall/winter. Hopefully I'll have a freight pack bag design ironed out and available in limited numbers for the 09 hunting season.

I did the pack like most of my projects, think and visualize for a couple of days, trouble shoot in my head and sit down and start building. I'd be happy to draw up a set of patterns for you though if you'd like COtoAK. Might want to wait till I have the upgraded version available though.

I really like my new sewing machine I got it last year for Yule from Tracy. It's a Husqvarna C20 and has about 250 preprogrammed stitches in it, 248 of which I'll never use. I like that it's easy to thread, tough as nails and can handle some really heavy fabrics. (Also handles brocade silk without fraying too, Guys really want to get a response from the misses? ...make her a corset for valentines day!) Hey at least she got me the machine with a gray leaf print on the case instead of the one with pastel flowers. I miss my Signer 670!

Side note the sewing world isn't always very male friendly. Patterns for men tend to be about 2 or 3 pages of a 300 page catalog so patterns can be hard too find. Sewing has it's own set of words and phrases and women communicate very differently. For example I was having some problems with uneven stitching and it was agreed that I needed to "adjust the tension". "The tension of what" I asked. "Umm I think it's the thread but I'm not sure. I know that when my stitches look like that I need to adjust it though" Well OK "how much should I adjust it?" At first this got a blank stare "just fiddle with it till it looks about right" said with great confidence were the instructions I got. On the plus side if you look like you actually want to be in JoAnns fabrics and ask a couple of knowledgeable questions you'll be treated like a god and given lots of help, coy smiles, phone numbers, phone numbers of daughters and nieces, invitations to dinner and have a ton of fun.
    BHA Member

Thomas

A rifle case is already in the works, as are hunting jackets, bibs, parkas etc. And thanks
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Not sure on the weight, I'm guessing a bit heavy, I'll be going with a lighter fabric for my next pack. (The stuff I used shrugs off a field point shot from a 25# pound recurve at 20 yards) Tracy has suggested I come up with a line of custom gear for sale so I'll be testing several prototypes and maybe asking for input on designs this fall/winter. Hopefully I'll have a freight pack bag design ironed out and available in limited numbers for the 09 hunting season.

I did the pack like most of my projects, think and visualize for a couple of days, trouble shoot in my head and sit down and start building. I'd be happy to draw up a set of patterns for you though if you'd like COtoAK. Might want to wait till I have the upgraded version available though.

I really like my new sewing machine I got it last year for Yule from Tracy. It's a Husqvarna C20 and has about 250 preprogrammed stitches in it, 248 of which I'll never use. I like that it's easy to thread, tough as nails and can handle some really heavy fabrics. (Also handles brocade silk without fraying too, Guys really want to get a response from the misses? ...make her a corset for valentines day!) Hey at least she got me the machine with a gray leaf print on the case instead of the one with pastel flowers. I miss my Signer 670!

Side note the sewing world isn't always very male friendly. Patterns for men tend to be about 2 or 3 pages of a 300 page catalog so patterns can be hard too find. Sewing has it's own set of words and phrases and women communicate very differently. For example I was having some problems with uneven stitching and it was agreed that I needed to "adjust the tension". "The tension of what" I asked. "Umm I think it's the thread but I'm not sure. I know that when my stitches look like that I need to adjust it though" Well OK "how much should I adjust it?" At first this got a blank stare "just fiddle with it till it looks about right" said with great confidence were the instructions I got. On the plus side if you look like you actually want to be in JoAnns fabrics and ask a couple of knowledgeable questions you'll be treated like a god and given lots of help, coy smiles, phone numbers, phone numbers of daughters and nieces, invitations to dinner and have a ton of fun.
    Funny that you have mentioned all of this.
    I, too, own a Husqvarna Viking sewing machine and for whatever reason, I have really been struggling with it. My mother in law told me to keep the manual to it but I am quite sure it's in the last 7 boxes that I need to unpack. (yes... from moving from Denver)
    This year, my own mother came up and had tried to help me with a couple of projects, but I am the same as you. See it, think it through, sew it. I have curtains in both children's rooms, in our primary bedroom as well as our primary bathroom and just finished on the kitchen curtain tonight.
    While I was trying to finish my one curtain for our great room, my needle broke. Thank goodness for replacement needles. You are right. I probably just need to adjust the tension on the machine... but that would cause another plethora of questions where it would require me to go to JoAnn's to take their little course on the how-to for my Husqvarna. Shame on me for not doing it sooner. >>> What can I say? Comforters. Pillow cases. 14 curtains and side projects... not all that bad for what I don't know about my sewing machine.
    My husband brought home from Prudhoe this material that he is interested in having me make dry bags out of. I am struggling with that one, too. (Shhhhh... he doesn't know), but soon I will have to make these dry bags for him. He's had the material for me since... April/May-ish.

So, I suppose my big question is... you haven't made actual patterns for this? You might want to consider doing that and obtaining some kind of patent for your style. You never know when something like this can add to supplement your family income... not to mention others might get ideas from your lovely pictures of your pack and try to duplicate it. Who wouldn't? It's intelligent and far more simple than what most people realize. Only if they had enough time or someone to sew it for them. Special orders would be a GREAT idea for you. Patent. Patent. Patent.

I was just showing my husband and telling him how much I adored your pack and he just smiled at me. Actually... I was more concerned with the size of it. It looks big, but he affirmed me that for sheep hunt... that you need a durable pack.

So... again... good on you for making your own pack and showing it off.
    Patent that thing and do it soon... and maybe that could start as a supplemental income for you and Mrs. Tracy.
    Lurker.

Good idea.

Notice I didn't say I loved my husky, and that I miss my Singer? The newer machines in general are just plain finicky, I like the old simple tried and true machines much better but my old Singer wore out and it would have been much more expensive too have it reconditioned. Best machine I ever used was my friend Fritz's treadle machine. It can handle any fabric from light cotton too saddle leather and had the finest speed control I've ever experienced.

Let me Guess Mr COtoAK came home with some lined nylon or Kevlar they use on the slope for storage tanks that he wants dry bag out of....well, try a jeans needle and I found that PVC or rubber backed fabrics cause allot of "run over" and thread fray due to biuld up on the needle, it helps too clean the needle often.
    BHA Member

Hey Rick.
    If you had some type of basic patern, I'd love to have it (promise I won't produce it!).
    Maybe some close ups of attachment points etc. too.
    My mother in law bought my non-sewing wife a new Husky 230 to learn on & use, but we moved from AK to MT before she took classes & learned to use a machine. It stayed in it's original box unopened for the 6 yrs we were there. We moved back here & it went straight into the attic for another 3 yrs until my oldest daughter took home ec at school & decided to unpack it & use it for Christmas gift projects which she has done the last 3 Christmases.
    I think I can get her to teach me to use it & maybe take a class. I'd love to make my own gear.
    I's love to make a super-heavy one compartment meat bag with compression straps to haul full quarters, & then a bag like yours for stuff like sheep hunting & pack in moose hunts.
    Email me if you like.
    vwonser@alaska.net
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Dude, I want to go moose hunting with YOU!! LOL. You could fit two hindies in that thing!!!! I learned right off that he with the biggest pack carries the most weight!!!

Geesh Rick, if you want something lighter, maybe it could be less than 9000 cubic inches next time. That is enormous. I don't like to carry my pack completely full at about 6000 ci, let alone 9000. Good on ya' for making it though, that is a seriously great looking pack. If you were able to take in ideas/specifics that folks wanted in these forums, I bet you'd have a good number of takers on the packs. There are ALWAYS people looking for decent stuff in here that don't want to spend the Barney's type $$.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Good idea.

Notice I didn't say I loved my husky, and that I miss my Singer? The newer machines in general are just plain finicky, I like the old simple tried and true machines much better but my old Singer wore out and it would have been much more expensive too have it reconditioned. Best machine I ever used was my friend Fritz's treadle machine. It can handle any fabric from light cotton too saddle leather and had the finest speed control I've ever experienced.

Let me Guess Mr COtoAK came home with some lined nylon or Kevlar they use on the slope for storage tanks that he wants dry bag out of....well, try a jeans needle and I found that PVC or rubber backed fabrics cause allot of "run over" and thread fray due to biuld up on the needle, it helps too clean the needle often.
    A jeans needle?
    You got it. Thanks for telling me that.
    Mr. COtoAK brought home some kind of material and brought home a bag that his buddy from Wasilla had his wife make 2 and asked me to repeat it.
    All I can do is look at it and see how many rectangles it takes to make this and that with a zipper... for... and to join... and thread... to have...
    said product.
    It's not kevlar or lined nylon, though. It's like this tough plastic stretchy junk that feels like rain gear.
    Lurker.

Awesome pack! 9000 cubic inches sounds like something that would actually be big enough for me!

If you do decide to start producing, let me know! I'd love to get my hands on a pack that size/quality without paying $500

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Jon I will be producing limited numbers of the improved pack next year, I'll keep you posted.

A note on the size of this pack. Guys I don't ever intend to fill it too capacity! It is over sized to deal with oddly shaped heavy items like front and hind quarters. One of my biggest complaints about my old pack is that you have too wrestle with every load too get it in the bag! With this one just drop in the quarter cinch the integrated compression strapping and away you go.

PS the pack preformed great on my sheep hunt. I have 3 small modifications for the next pack then I think it will be nearly perfect. Lets hope I'm still as pleased after my Goat hunt.
    BHA Member

Did you make it on your goat hunt? How did the bag perform?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/