Thread: Coming on a Cruise - Need Help on Fishing at Ports

Default Coming on a Cruise - Need Help on Fishing at Ports

I am going on a cruise (NCL) with my family (has 2 8 month old twins) to Alaska stopping at Ketchika, Skagway and Juneau. Can everyone give me some pointers as to where or if I can try fishing from shore when we dock or try to rent a skiff or guided trip I can try to book for a short trip? Again, since I'm travelling with 2 infants, I won't be able to spend a lot of time on the water but I really want to get some good fishing in with my short 5-6hrs at the ports. That's why if there even decent fishing off the shores that would be great if anyone can give me some advice...THANKS!

I just returned to CA last night after 3 weeks in AK (my first trip). All I can say is don't miss the fishing. You can probably go to the local outfitter store that sells fishing permits and gear, ask what you need and look for the other fisherman. A guide would probably be expensive but surely get results. The locals don't seem to use guides if it was me I would just get the gear license and go. They had Kings 4' - 5' long up on the Copper River

I have a few "local" spots in Juneau. And a map with some marked up.

You coming this year? Month and week is important to know.

There a couple you could walk to from the cruise ship dock downtown.

Depends what you want to do...

Juneau and Ketchikan are both known for short charters (saltwater) sold on board or catering to cruise passengers. Also, a few of the boats in Juneau (okay... ONE... I guess that's very few!) are known for being very family friendly and can easily accommodate car-seats, strollers, etc.

I may actually have to cancel a few charters next week, as it appears my new daughter is about to come meet us a bit earlier than planned...

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Few years ago I went on an Alaskan cruise. In Sitka, I did a day charter with very little expectation for king salmon since it was mid-August. We absolutely had a great day and limited out. As a result I decided not to fish at other ports. However in Ketchikan, there is a bridge over the Ketchikan creek where people jig for salmon. There is a tackle rental store across the street. I think it was mostly pinks but had a blast catching and releasing salmon, almost as much as in Sitka. Good cheap fun for few hours.

That's great advice, thanks a bunch! I'll look forward to trying out the different spots.

Default Be careful if you get your fish processed

Sitka is notorious for stealing the nice phat fillets and leaving you with the tails.

Have your fish processed by a smaller mom and pop shop. DO NOT LET YOUR FISH GET PROCESSED BY A SHOP THAT ALSO SELLS FISH TO THE PUBLIC.

Default Fish Fillets

Thank you for the warning. Most likely I will be releasing everything if I'm (capable) of catching anything. But I will keep that in mind and look for the smaller local shops if I do keep any. If there are ones you think I should use, do let me know. Thanks!