Thread: Best Vacuum Sealer?

Default Best Vacuum Sealer?

This might not be the right forum, but I was wondering what opinions there were on vacuum sealers out there. Right now I have the food saver professional 3, and it's a good machine, but I still get freezer burn around the edges of my fillets. I have kind of had my eye on the ARY SVP-10 VacMaster Commercial Vacuum Sealer but the cost is way up there. I am pretty picky about my fish though, and if it did a professional job like a fish packing plant I would consider it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Mark

From what I understand, the Ary's have it. I'd like to get a SVP-10 or SVP-15 myself, but like you, am having a difficult time coughing up the Big Bucks to get it............

I have the SVP-15 vac master,very nice,after having just about every other model this is it for our family needs....just wish i'd bought this right off the bat,i would have saved a ton of money..

The commercial grade ones are spendy, but worth the money. The bags are less expensive, but much tougher. Also they pump down faster. I've rented one a few times from the butcher supply place in anchorage, one day I'll spring for one.

I broke down and bought the MiniPak MV31 from Alaska Butcher Supply in Anchorage... and have NOT regretted it for a second. After using the standard vacuum sealer (forgot the brand/name) and getting pissed everytime it would overheat and have to sit... it is WELL worth the money (I bought it during the sportmans show which is the only time they discount them)

So far I have sealed 2 moose, 2 caribou, 2 seasons of Chitnia dipnet limits, countless pounds of halibut, China Poot reds, rockfish and other assorted goodies like Costco meat runs, and so on... not to mention all the smoked fish, pulled pork, ribs, brisket and things that I smoke.

And it has not even hiccuped once. The bags are cheaper (and if you get them by the 1000 case they are even cheaper) and someone told me that after 4-5 years of heavier use the savings in the bags over the roll style bags will pay for the machine.

I found a red fillet from 2 years ago sealed with the thing, and for grins and giggles I thawed it out and grilled it. My wife, who is rather finicky about ripe or super fishy tasting salmon, did not even know that it was over 2 years old! No freezer burn, no hard areas, just good meat.

The biggest hassle is the thing weights a ton - and moving it back and forth with me between Homer and Anchorage is a pain...

If you are even considering it, then just do it... you won't regret it.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...