Thread: Hunting observation platform

Chugiak, AK

Default Hunting observation platform

I知 like nearly everyone else here, planning my fall moose hunt. Once again my transportation is by boat. On past hunts from boats visibility has been severely hindered by river banks and the brush along the shorelines. I知 certain that I have passed by many moose just off the river, sometimes they have walked out after we passed by.
    I have heard of boat mounted observation platforms being used to see over riverbanks and brush. I致e never seen such a platform on a boat nor do I know anyone with first-hand knowledge. Perhaps these are simply myths and stories. It seems likely that over cabin storage racks could be used in this way.
    I知 trying to determine if any of you have had success using observation platforms on boats, and if the results justify the effort and expense to build. I would appreciate any information, positive or negative, regarding the use of these platforms. If you have used it before, do you still consider it to be practical or not, and why? Also how high did you build the platform?
    I realize I have to be careful not to get weight high enough to adversly affect the center of gravity of the boat.
    Thanks for sharing your expertise. RLK7

Big Lake

That would be a 12 foot aluminum step ladder. They work pretty good.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author