Thread: Attn plumbers

Default Attn plumbers

I've got some old copper pipe. Its probably from the sixtys. About once a year it just springs a leak somewhere. Nothing is rubbing on it. A pinhole lead just appears. What gives?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

It could be a number of things, if your on a well in could be a high iron content in the water, or a bad ground on the well could be causing electrolysis or two different metals in the plumbing system like galivized to copper and it just could be wore out pipes.

Default Electrolysis

Sounds like some sort of electrolysis to me. I had that happen about a year after my water heater crapped out. In my case I believe some of the metal from the water heater was deposited in the copper pipe and it eventually ate it's way through, causing a myriad of pinhole leaks. I had to replace about 10-15 feet of pipe...and a whole bunch of drywall.

Your PH level could also be too low. That will be corrosive to copper. Try to keep the PH at
    7.2 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Sounds like some sort of electrolysis to me. I had that happen about a year after my water heater crapped out. In my case I believe some of the metal from the water heater was deposited in the copper pipe and it eventually ate it's way through, causing a myriad of pinhole leaks. I had to replace about 10-15 feet of pipe...and a whole bunch of drywall.
    everytime it was in a hot water pipe.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Check a dielectric union between the Hot water heater and your copper supply pipe..It will start there and travel down the pipe eating it up. You'll probably note a green film and white crystals on the inside of the pipe.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!