Thread: BOat sits low and engine power question.

Default BOat sits low and engine power question.

So I tested out my new boat. I was really suprised on how low the rear sat in the water. It has a 35 horse, 6 horse and a 10 gallons of gas back there. There was only a few inches of freeboard at the back. The guy I bought it from said it had lots of freeboard, I told him later about the lack of it and he said I must have had it loaded down to much ( then he looked at my stomach) and said or I need to lose weight. Hes a funny old guy! The bottom of the boat was dry, so I dont think its leaking. There is two boxes that are enclosed in the back that I think are just foam filled. But there is no cracks or anything and the boat is welded. The front of it sticks way out of the water too. Mmmm. I'll guess I dont know what to do about it. It seems pretty excessive though.

Maybe that foam in the back is wet from the winter? Ill check it out tommorow. Those board in the back are riveted on and are gonna be some work getting off.

THe 35 horse runs great but is a little ho hum in the speed department. Ill bring my GPS this weekend and see how fast it goes but It seemed like we werent going faster than 20MPH. Wonder if I should get a 50? But then I dont know if I can store enough gas on the boat without it being a pain.

Wonder if I would have a problem getting rid of a 2 stroke 35?

if you look dow at the bottom of the topic page youll see "pics of my new boat" thread. water was past the red stripe.

Something definitely don't sound right, 3 inches of clearance at the transom is awful **** close, danger close in my opinion if you need to stop quickly or take a decent wave from the stern. How big is the boat and what's it rated for hp wise? Bilged out good? My first boat, an aluminum smokercraft v-hull was deeper in the bow than the bottom of the boat and unbeknownst sp? to me the bow would fill up with rainwater and even though I'd bilge it as soon as I got under power the nose would ride up and fill the whole ass of her back up with water and had me wondering what the hell was goin on, I didn't have an easy way to look under the rear floorboards either so it had me flummoxed for a while. 10 gallons of gas is what 60 lbs, so nothin really. A 35 with a kicker shouldn't have you sunk down so low....my .02.

Its a 16 footer rated for 70 horse. I looked back where the plug was and didnt see any water except for a little splash witch was probably from the rain. Im guessing those 2 closed off squares are full of water or the foam (wich I think is whats in them) is wet.

Theres a problem somewhere. That guy I bought if from assured me it sits high up. And I think he is being honest. He hasnt had the boat out this year though.

Unfortunately I can't see the pics of your boat from this puter, I tried. Believe it or not what I ended up doing was picking my old boat up at the tongue and setting it on my shoulder, I'm 6'2 so it was pretty dang high. Doing that forced all that water back to the stern and she'd drain out, I ended up basically doing that before each trip, otherwise the boat was a pig and I had no way of getting the rest of that water out while on the water, pretty poor design really...maybe jack the front way up or pick it up with the plug(s) out and see if you get anything...

I would look for trapped water, water soaked wood or a belly full of sand. Be sure to get it fixed before heading to the bigger lakes.

On most boats, you can see the last water mark on the hull. Are you riding lower than it?

Good luck,
    Mike

Clearly, he has "stored" his mother-in-law underneath the new floorboards on your new boat. Or it has lots of water under the floor....I'd vote for water intrusion and the wood absorbing it from somewhere before the mother-in-law scenario. Let us know what you find.......I think.

Okay, I parked boat on steep hill, lots of water came out, but still probably only 5 gallons and that was probably this weeks rain.

The foam blocks are damp, but its hard to guage how wet since they are rock hard.

If I scoop this foam out, what do I fill it back with?

funoodles the won't suck up water

Doesn't sound good. You might also check under the floorboards, I'd be willing to be there is foam there too and that also may well be soaked.

Well I dug out all the old foam in the back and replaced it, all the wood floors, and the rest of the foam were fine. Took the boat out and it floats alot better now.