Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whisperlight Internationale

Default Whisperlight Internationale

Im pretty set on buying this but I noticed the canister is sold seperate. Does anyone know if the pump and hose come with it? I would sure hope so but it doesn't say on the MSR site.

The hose can pump are connected to the stove, and you do have to buy the canisters for it. But those are pretty inexpensive to pickup at REI or Sportsmans.
    WVBOWAK

I meant pump and hose are both connected to the stove part. Sorry for the spelling error

Great Stove Ive Had Mine For 3-4 Years Now And Love It!!!

Great stoves had one for years, look into a wind shield of some nature or just use foil like I do. Two or three small fuel bottles are better than one larger one as well. Enjoy!

Default Thanks all

Ive been eyeballin it for some time now. Cant get any air transporters to fly in my butane or propane canisters. Gotta go with something that burns white gas. I figure with this one I can burn multiple fuels and my transporter told me he could fly in white gas but Im gonna hafta buy it there and I'll be paying $18 per gallon!!! Oh well I will only need one gallon. Thanks again

The WhisperLite is a great stove if you are mostly boiling water and the like. If you're frying eggs or anything that needs to simmer, forget it. It's far to fiddly to get a low flame with the thing, and then it won't stay lit. If you want to really cook things, the MSR DragonFly is a better stove.

Had my Whisperlite for almost 15 yrs & love it.
    As I recall when I bought mine they said it will run on Aviation gas as well as car gas (I use normal umleaded in mine) so you shouldn't need to buy white gas at that price. Take a couple of empty canisters with you & buy av gas from the pilot.
    Jim is right, they don't simmer well, but I heard they came out with a new pump (it & the control are one unit attached to the stove)bnow that is supposed to simmer better. May get one for my old girl. They normaly come with a foil windscreen, & you will use a lot less fuel if you use it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

After reading all the threads and a few in Archives I decided to purchase the Whisperlite International and should be here in a couple days .
    I wanted a back up source in case my primary goes rudders up .
    Going to be on a 17 day hunt and want my bases covered .
    I will let ya know how it works out .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Thumbs up msr...

The MSR Whisperlite International is an amazing stove. We float NW Alaska rivers in the Fall, and take ours along with an MSR Windpro and/or Pocket Rocket. Easier to cook (simmer) on the isobutane cannister stoves. The Whisperlite is a work horse. You should ideally burn white gas in it as it burns cleaner. Be sure to buy the expedition repair kit for it if you are taking longer/remote trips. REI has it as well as Campor. I like to cook on a 11 oz bottle and use 3 of the 33 oz bottles for fuel. We float 2 weeks at a time, but for a shorter trip, I would take the 11 oz and one or two 33 oz. The one thing you need to learn is how to properly preheat the stove. It will not work properly without it. This is the single biggest reason people hate this stove. It is because they do not know how to properly preheat the thing. The generator tube has to be hot before the stove will operate properly. Otherwise, you will have a big fireball. Which soots up the whole thing. Pisses you off. And scares nearby small animals. I have read where people use fire paste to heat the generator tube instead of the normal "flare up" process of burning a teaspoon or so of fuel out of the fuel bowl. I will be trying this on the Wulik in mid Sept. Other than the fire paste, just be sure to use a windscreen. The wind will cause the flame (that should be on the generator tube) to blow all over the place and ineffeciently heat the tube. Just shoot me a pm with any questions. Happy to help if I can. Below is a link that tells you everything you could ever want to know (and more) about the MSR Whisperlite International stove. Consider mailing the fuel up ahead of time. You have to mail up isobutane cannisters to the bush pilot. But white gas can sell out at times. The MSR superfuel is pricey, but the best you can buy. It comes in 29 oz cans which could easily be mailed up. Against the law by the way. Below is the link about the Whisperlite International. Read the preheating part for sure. Properly preheating the stove will make or break your opinion of this stove. Used the right way, this thing is incredible and will be around for a long, long, time. Save the below article somewhere as the information is very valuable (and hard to get).

http://therucksack.tripod.com/rations.htm
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Repair kit...

See the below link for the repair kit.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87839
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I saw the same kit at Cabelas for around $14.00.

How about the Dragonfly? Is this a better stove? While the "international costs around $79.00, the Dragonfly costs $129.00, but I wonder which one is a better stove.

Default MSR

Most would say that the Dragonfly is a better stove. From my understanding, it will simmer much easier than the Whisperlite stoves. But to be honest, most people with Whisperlite Internationales don't know how to use them properly. I was one of those people. The two biggest complaints of the Whisperlite is that it is hard to preheat and simmer on. Both are false claims. It just takes some practice and know how. In the "rucksack" link in my other response, all the info one needs is there. A great bit of info there. Especially preheating. Admittingly, the instructions that come with the stove could have more info on it. With just a bit of practice, it is very easy to properly preheat the stove. I used to have a big "flame ball" trying to preheat it, then I would still have to do it again if it was really cold/windy before I could light the stove. In hindsight, I was the problem. The Whisperlite is an amazing stove and very durable. You just have to learn how to use it properly. Preheating the Dragonfly would be the same if I am not mistaken. Same process I am pretty sure. But it does simmer/cook better than the Whisperlite. Then again, you can simmer with the Whisperlite if you do it right. Just a pump or two on a half full bottle is enough pressure to simmer with the Whisperlite. Trial and error will show how easy it is. The Dragonfly is a bit bigger/heavier too I think. Just depends on what you are doing with the stove. If you are mostly boiling water and just occasionally cooking/simmering, go with the Whisperlite. If you are a backcountry gourmet, perhaps the Dragonfly would be a better choice. My preference on our float trips is to have the Whisperlite with the expedition repair kit and also take a MSR Windpro (with a Pocket Rocket as a backup). That way I can boil water on the infallable Whisperlite, yet have the isobutane cannister stoves to simmer/cook on. And by having several stoves, I also have peace of mind in case of a failure or someone stepping on one of the stoves or something stupid like that. You just have to mail up the isobutane cannisters ahead of time to the bush pilot. White gas for the Whisperlite is readily available almost everywhere. In a pinch, you can change the jet and burn kerosene, auto fuel, etc.. The extra jets (easy to change out) are included in the expedition repair kit. These are all very impressive stoves, the "right one" is dependent on your needs I guess. Just be aware that the Pocket Rocket can not be used with a windscreen. The Windpro can because the fuel cannister is not beneath the burner. That makes a big difference on arctic rivers where it blows 20-30 on some days. Also read in the "rucksack" link about using fire paste to preheat the generator tube. More effecient and also saves the fuel that you would consume making the "fireball". A little practice at home would clear all this up. It is much easier than it may sound. But I should repeat, most all the negative things you hear about these stoves come from people who do not know how to properly use them.

I will be getting a liquid fuel stove for winter camping after looking them over at REI I think I like the simmerlite the best. It looks pretty comerable to the Whisper only lighter. Has anyone used them both in the field?

Default msr...

I think the burner on the Simmerlite is the same as the one on the MSR Windpro (isobutane cannister stove). If so, it is not as robust of a design in my opinion. I have the Whisperlite Internationale and the Windpro. Both great stoves for sure, but they do feel different. Both pack away small and in nearly the same space if you ask me. The Whisperlite Internationale has a more sturdy feel to it and is certainly a more time tested design. With that being said, being able to simmer would be nice if you cook very much. If you are just boiling water, I would go with the Whisperlite Internationale. You may also want to check and see if the Simmerlite will burn other fuels. Handy if you get somewhere and find out the AC is out of white gas. MSR has some fine products and it is nice to have so many good choices.

Default price..

Lujon,

I found the MSR Simmerlite on sale for $71 at www.modernmountainman.com . Much better than the $99 REI wants for it. Just thought I would pass it on. Below is the direct link.

http://www.modernmountainman.com/cat...oduct&id=23682

Default price..

Ray,

The MSR Dragonfly is on sale on the same site for $103. Link is below.

http://www.modernmountainman.com/cat...duct&id=145852

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Lujon,

I found the MSR Simmerlite on sale for $71 at www.modernmountainman.com . Much better than the $99 REI wants for it. Just thought I would pass it on. Below is the direct link.

http://www.modernmountainman.com/cat...oduct&id=23682
    Thanx,
    After doing some more research I think that I will go with the whisper international for the multi fuel bennefits. It will be a winter stove since I really like my Jet Boil for the summer/fall. The jetboil just falls short when the temp drops! Thanks for the link!

Default good..

I think that makes sense. I have used my Whisperlite Internationale on two float trips up in NW Alaska. Both trips were in Aug/Sept. Cold and windy, you know the deal. This stove is bullet proof. It is at the same link above. You may have to put "msr" in the search box on that website. I could not find it when I went through the menu on the website, but at any rate, the Internationale is $63 there. Great price on this stove. Go back to my earlier post where I had the "rucksack" link and save a copy of that somewhere and print it out. All you need to know (and more) about this stove can be found in that article, titled "MSR Whisperlite International for Cold Weather Expeditions" (or similar). Read the preheating instructions for sure. That is the source of most complaints with this stove. Done properly, it is a piece of cake. Below is a link to the stove for $63...

http://www.modernmountainman.com/cat...oduct&id=50450

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Ray,

The MSR Dragonfly is on sale on the same site for $103. Link is below.

http://www.modernmountainman.com/cat...duct&id=145852
    Thanks for explaining about the Dragonfly, and for the link. I plan to buy the Dragonfly, because it's a sturdier stove I can use at the campsite, or carry on my ATV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast