Thread: New to Silvers

Default New to Silvers

Heading up 1st week of Sept. Have been to the Russian the past 3 years for Sockeye. Looking for suggestions on where and how to fish Silvers. My budget permits me one charter (maybe Seward?) After that I'm hoping for some success from shore. Any suggestions on tackle (rod, etc) and river or shore locations would be greatly appreciated.

1/2 and 3/4oz Acme Sidewinder spoons are my favorite silver baits for Alaska. Buy some saltwater Gulp and cut little half-inch tear drop shaped pieces to use as a trailer. I did very well with Sidewinders last year in the Kenai (Aug. 24-27).

Whatever spoons you use, take off the factory hook and use an Owner replacement treble. Those things are sharp as _______ and penetrate way deep. That extra penetration comes in real handy when a 11 or 12lb silver jumps while slinging his head like an enraged bull.

The longer the rod the better if you're going to fish the Kenai or other large river. But you may becoming at the wrong time for the Kenai... First silver run will have ended and the second will barely have started. But maybe not started at all (I've been reading a lot of posts about runs starting late this year).

If you're a baitcaster guy, bass-size really isn't big enough on a large river. You'll want one that's big enough to handle at least 17lb mono. I fish a Curado 300dsv.

We'll be going up to fish the Kenai (and maybe the Russian too) from roughly Sept. 8 thru 17. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by SideLaker View Post
    Heading up 1st week of Sept. Have been to the Russian the past 3 years for Sockeye. Looking for suggestions on where and how to fish Silvers. My budget permits me one charter (maybe Seward?) After that I'm hoping for some success from shore. Any suggestions on tackle (rod, etc) and river or shore locations would be greatly appreciated.

In doing more surfing, I'm wondering if I'm mistaken in assuming that there is a decent run of Silvers going on at that time in rivers. Should I be concentrating on charters or is that a pipe dream also?

Seward is a good bet for that week. Silvers should be moving in to the beach areas. A charter will put you right on them if you want to boat fish. It will be a very short boat ride as they will be at the head of the bay. Last year they were in thick during Labor Day and it was very fun with good weather.

Default Amused

I need direction as to where I screwed up in my initial post. 200 plus hits on this posting and two reply's? I guess I didn't word things properly to get a more positive(helpful)response. Yes, I'm a sourdough tourist who doesn't have a clue about Silvers, but I was hoping I could get more of a response either way. According to the web sites I've visited and the people in Alaska (on the phone)I've talked to, this is supposed to be a decent time to catch Silvers. True or False? If true, where I might catch them , would be greatly appreciated. All I would like to do is catch some Silvers, compare them to Reds, and have the normal incredible Alaskan experience in a way to short, 8 day trip.
    Once again, any response would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I need direction as to where I screwed up in my initial post. 200 plus hits on this posting and two reply's? I guess I didn't word things properly to get a more positive(helpful)response. Yes, I'm a sourdough tourist who doesn't have a clue about Silvers, but I was hoping I could get more of a response either way. According to the web sites I've visited and the people in Alaska (on the phone)I've talked to, this is supposed to be a decent time to catch Silvers. True or False? If true, where I might catch them , would be greatly appreciated. All I would like to do is catch some Silvers, compare them to Reds, and have the normal incredible Alaskan experience in a way to short, 8 day trip.
    Thanks
    You didn't screw up and people probably aren't answering because they don't know about silvers in the first week of sept and THEIR BRAINS ARE THINKING HUNTING when you mention the first week of sept.
    Like TR Bauer sez: Seward is a great place for silvers then, besides being a nice fishing town in a beautiful area.

I think a lot of people aren't responding because they don't feel like typing what's already available online in so many places. If you enter good search terms, you can easily and quickly learn on your own where fishing for silvers the first week of Sept is usually pretty good. Do an advanced Google search using terms like the following.... "September salmon runs"
    "Sept salmon runs", "Alaska's salmon runs", "Kenai Salmon Runs", "Kenai Silver Runs", "Kenai River Salmon Runs", "Kenai Coho Runs", etc, etc

***Obviously if you plan to fish other rivers just replace "Kenai" with each river you plan to fish.

Here's a pretty good link that details the Kenai's runs:
    http://www.usangler.com/article.cfm?id=49

If you are thinking of fishing saltwater too for silvers, just ordinary Google searches should work: "September salmon Alaska", "Alaska best places coho", etc

Do a "September" search in this forum and look at the fishing section links that pop up.... that'll probably pull up some good info too.

This will be our first year to fish the Kenai in September. But doing a few online searches quickly allowed me to realize fishing the second week of the month will give us a much better chance of filling the ice chest with silvers than if I fished the first week.

Assuming you're not planning on fishing some big time remote area, there is a ton of online run information about any and all salmon rivers you're thinking of fishing.

Finding good advice about what gear to use also just takes a few searches... "best spoons for salmon", etc. If for some reason you don't find the answers you want, come back to this room and ask people... Just be more precise than asking for "any suggestions on tackle (rod, etc)." People don't want to guess about what type of tackle you're familiar with... If you only fish with spinning reels and someone takes the time to give you a ton of baitcasting advice then you've just caused them to waste their time. Same goes if people take the time to give someone all kinds of advice about fly rod line, rod, and reel weights, sinking and floating lines, types of flies, etc, only to find out the person they're advising has never picked up a fly rod.

By the way, I don't know if you're thinking about fishing the Russian for silvers or not. I've never fished it but I did read that its silver run is pretty small.

Good Luck

Thanks

Sorry for the panic. Thanks again for at least replying. I guess the reason for my posts is that because I've had such incredible experiences fishing for Sockeyes in Alaska, I'm worried that it might not hold true for the Silver run.
    I did indeed first research the web sites for Fall Silver fishing and was totally optimistic. However, upon calling such places as Millers' Landing(to rent a boat) and two(I won't mention names) charters in Seward to arrange charters, I was informed by the people on the phone that I was probably way to late, way to early, or just a couple of weeks off in either direction. That's when I started second guessing my decision to catch the Silver run that time of year.
    I'll stick with the web sites and keep the faith in what I've already experienced.
    P.S For what it's worth, been fishing for 40 years unfortunatley in Minnesota

Side Laker, Last year in Seward during Labor Day Weekend we took the boat out to the head of the bay with the great floatillia of other boats at about 7 in the morning. In just a couple of hours we had 24 fish in the coolers on the boat that the four of us kept and we probably brought three times that many up to the side of the boat but lost them due to stupidity and strong willed fish. We went to the cleaning station and cleaned the fish and were back in the camper drinking a beer or two in time for lunch. It can be great fishing in early September. There are other places too in September as others have pointed out. Also, sometimes you even get a really nice high pressure that moves in for a few days where I can venturer out of the bay for some nice bottom fishing too. T. Bauer

Default Boat rental?

If you want to save a little money, and you are not by yourself, you can rent a boat in Seward at Miller's. You won't have to go far to find silvers and they can usually be caught easily with a mooching rig. After catching a limit you could then try for some halibut. You should also be able to catch them from shore in Seward at that time, but the active fish will come and go with the tides usually.