View Poll Results: Is Lassoing a fish considered legal?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would keep it

15 16.85%
  • Hell No

67 75.28%
  • Maybe

7 7.87%

Thread: What is considered a LEGAL catch?

Question What is considered a LEGAL catch?

OK. Here is my poll. Is "lassoing" a fish considered a legal catch?
    Let me explain.
    The other day, my husband and I were out at Jim Creek fishing for Coho. All of a sudden I have a pull on my line. I start reeling in and let the fish flounder a tad. I am using a king rod so not really concerned about breaking line or pole. It was flopping funny and my first instinct was, "****, I snagged it!" I get it up to the shallow part of the water where my husband was standing and he bent down to find the hook and unhook it, and low and behold SOMEHOW I was able to wrap the line around the back of the fins and under its belly and the hook attached to the line itself. We were studded that the hook was not even in the fish! When tension was released, the fish slid out of the lasso and my husband grabbed it by the gills and tail. One flop from the fish and he was gone because we were not prepared with a stringer and were contemplating whether it was a legal catch or not. Anyone know the answer to that? It was not hooked and not netted....

I would've released it, but from what I've been hearing about Jim Creek, I would be in the minority. If I don't hook a fish inside its mouth I release it.

Jim Creek at dark anything is legal.

Thats why I dont go there anymore.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

As I interpret the reg's I don't believe it would be legal. There is no mention of being able to keep a sport caught fish in freshwater in any other manner than hooking them in the mouth.
    I wouldn't take the chance.

Default Maybe

but only if it was lassoed by the upper or lower jaw, not the fins or around the head as yours was.

That would not be a legal fish. You really have to know the rules. I once was fishing at Fish Creek in Wasilla with a fly rod while it was "dipping" season and was told by a Fish and Game officer that I was fishing illegally and he should write me a citation but let me go with a warning. I called Fish and Game the next day and they confirmed that fishing with a fly rod there was illegal, while "fishing" with a dip net was the only legal way to fish there? I was very suprised to be informed of this. I also saw a guy sitting in his tied up boat near the Soldotna bridge over the Kenai, have a king jump out of the water and into his tied up boat! He jumped on it, gave it a couple wacks with a stick and proudly held it up for all to see... Unfortunatly for him, there was a Fish and Game officer watching as well and went down and wrote him up for taking a fish by illegal means... Go figure, and go read the regs.

Nope, don't keep it. While debate rages on inside the mouth or outside the mouth, if it is past the gill plate you had better release it. If it is not on the mouth one way or another I release it. And that is only b/c I don't want a ticket. I know you are not allowed to fish for them by hand either.

I'm in the minority that your limit should be allowed to be taken anyway you want. Even snagging. It would allow more harvest, and get people off the riverbanks faster. I think it would be better for habitat. I know, some are going to bash me.

AK-Woman: I am headed out their tonight if you and AK-man are able to head out you could educate me on how to lasso them and my wife could school the both of us on how to actually CATCH them

Default Legal? maybe not but entertaining

Here’s a funny one that actually happened at Jims Creek a couple of years ago. A fellow fisherman foul hooked a fish and did what he was suppose to do he reeled the fish in not taking it from the water and reached down with his Leatherman and unhooked the fish. At this time the fish was in the shallows and began to swim out and abruptly turned toward shore. Where a woman was seated enjoying the scenery on a lawn chair. (She did not have a pole in her hand but was seated there enjoying a beer. The fish swam right up to her, she bent over poked her finger through the fishes open mouth and proclaimed “got it” “in the mouth” with her finger in a hooked position. Honest this truly happened and she kept it. Was it legal? Maybe not but it sure made me smile

Default Not so much

I read the regs pretty literally. If it is not HOOKED in the face, I would toss it back. One fish is not worth the consequences. By the same token, I have no problem keeping fish with a hook in the outside of their lip.

Definitely illegal. From what 9601 and RMiller says, it sounds like Jim Creek is as bad as Resurrection Creek and the pinks. A whole lot of keeping snagged fish down there last week end.

Illegal means and methods. If it is not written up as a legal method of take then it is illegal. At least that is what the officer told me when he wrote me a warning ticket for catching a trout with my hands in 1987.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Bonus

You get bonus points for lassoing a coho. It takes special talent. You should be able to keep it for such a feat, but sadly you have to let it go to stay legal...
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Thanks for all the replies

I know that it was illegal and hence I did not feel bad when it flopped way from my husband but seriously, I saw people snagging them right in front of me and then dragging them to the shore, swatting them on the head and heading back out to fish. I just thought it was hilarious that my "talents" are so great that I could Lasso and fish and not even ***** the fish with the hook.

I would also consider that an illegal catch.
    When I was a kid, I had that very same thing happen to me. I basically lasso'd a rainbow trout just like you did, right around the middle of the fish. I am still amazed to this day.

i practice lasso-n-release all the time...thought all true alaskans did it...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What about if you hook the leader on a fish that broke off someone else's line and their hook was in it's mouth? Did that at the Homer lagoon once.

Default Silver stories

about 20 years ago a bunch of us were sitting at the Kenai pasture in the evening fishing in our old Lund's, and the lady in a boat next to ours hooked a silver and she fought it for a minute and then her line broke above the swivel, and she had the weight attached to the swivel.
    anyway a minute or two later, this fish comes flying thru the air and you can see the tackle still attached, and the fish is freaking out.. jumping around,, then it suddenly goes shooting along with about half its body out of the water and rams into the boat that it was originally hooked from.. like it is made at the lady and going to get even,,,and she screams and the fish is ramming the side of their boat, so the husband nets the fish,,, and they keep it,, we all cheered,, it was a great show...
    Was that legal?
    It still had her hook in its mouth.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

As far as the regs state, whomever hooks the fish is who it belongs too period. Those that set the hook on a fish and pass it off to someone else are breaking the law.