Thread: Weekend Dipfest

Default Weekend Dipfest

Forecast for Western Kenai Peninsula
    Updated: 8:58 am EDT on July 24, 2008 No Active Advisories (US Severe Weather) Today
    Rain. Highs in the 50s. North wind 10 to 25 mph...strongest along the inlet.
    ZIP Code Detail
    Tonight
    Rain likely in the evening...then a slight chance of rain after midnight. Lows in the lower to mid 40s. North wind 10 to 20 mph...strongest along the inlet.

Friday
    Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower to mid 60s. Northwest wind 10 mph shifting to the southwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
    ZIP Code Detail
    Friday Night
    Mostly cloudy. Lows in the 40s. South wind 15 mph.

Saturday
    Mostly cloudy with isolated showers. Highs in the upper 50s to mid 60s. South wind 10 to 15 mph.
    ZIP Code Detail
    Saturday Night
    Mostly cloudy with scattered showers. Lows in the 40s.

Winds shifting to the southwest fri afternoon should blow some fish in this weekend; last weekend for a dip trip!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default anybody know if the comm nets are still in the water fishing till 7pm, or did they al

I am just wondering when the comm nets will be pulled today?

The normal comm. fish period is 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. They can extend comm. fishing by EO but they cannot go beyond 7 a.m. Friday morning if they do at all. Then there will be a 36 hour window of no commercial fishing in the Kenai District. They have not issued an EO to extend beyond 7 p.m. tonight yet and so maybe by tomorrow morning it could be getting better....through Sat. morning.

Default Fish and Game Kenai update @ 2:00pm

Fish and game extended the set gill nets to 11 pm for safety reasons and said to stand by for an emergency opener in a few minutes.

Scott

Did they specify what the safety reasons were??

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Did they specify what the safety reasons were??
    Here is the low-down.

Strong onshore winds have picked up considerably since the commercial fishing period began at 7:00 a.m. this morning, and has created hazardous conditions for set gillnet fishermen. For safety of the participants, an extension of 4 hours is being allowed so that fishers can pull their gear at high slack tide. Any fishers who can not safely remove their gear and exit the fishery should call and advise either ADF&G or Fish and Wildlife Protection.

Default Setnetting in wind n chop

Several years ago when I was setnetting in Deadmans Bay on the South end of Kodiak,an opener was announced as a nasty easterly was picking up all morning.By opening time it was blowing an easy E.35,the fetch was perhaps 10miles at most,but a 4 or 5ft chop in a skiff is plenty big.
    Anyways a very experienced friend decided to set his net out...by himself,175 fathoms(1fthm=6'),the set went almost directly into the wind,or downwind however you choose to describe it.
    It would be ALOT of bruising,muscle burning work for 2,but he did it alone.Every 75' or so the net must be tied to the mainline which is anchored on both ends and VERY tight.We sat glued to the binocs in the comfort of my friends sein boat(which we used as a base camp when the weather was nasty).At the end of the set is either a hook,J,or a V shape to the set,usually the most profitable end of the set and the hardest to tie off.
    Under flat calm conditions with the tide running,this can be a bit of a struggle,by yourself,tide running and wind/chop,a dangerous nightmare.All was well,we waited a few hrs,wind came down,set went out.
    Chances are the crews working the inlet arent near as experienced as this young man is.
    So while everyone is busy bashing the commercials,keep that explanation in mind as your worried about wethor or not you should bring one six pack or two to the beach.
    While your worried about catching more than so and so,these guys/gals are at times just trying to get back alive.Making a buck,well that would be nice too

good luck
    ak4195

Sounds like it was a good call. Dipped this morning and got 3 fish in 5 hours.......guess we need a day or two for the beaches to load up again.

Went down early Friday morning to Kasilof,fished bout 1/2 way thru the early morning flood,thru the ebb and barely past slack tide.Total of 14 sockeyes n one humpy.Very nice weather,easy group of people.Not quite as many as I was wishing,but with the weather and relaxed atmosphere I rated it a spectacular success.So with Chitina reds from the week before,Ive almost got enough for the winter,will top off the freezer/smoker with cohoes i guess.
    Quite a few jumpers noted offshore,perhaps 1/2 mile WNW of the mouth at one point,very easily could have been pinks,but always a good sign.
    On my way back,it looked to me like approx 1/3 of Anchorage was headed to the peninsula,informal guesstiment of 1:4 had dip nets.Incredible crowds already on the banks of the kenai sport fishing reds by 4pm,with many many more along the way.
    good luck all
    ak4195

Default Kenai Friday Morning

We were on the water and fishing about 0700. We spent 13 hours on the water and ended up with 17 Reds and 1 Pink. The afternoon high tide did the best. To say it was SLOW would be a huge understatement. Several people who live down there and netting said they have never seen it this slow. We thought with the weather breaking and the commercial guys out of the water it might be hot, NOT! Oh well, it is beautiful down there and just fun to be out v.s. being at work! I will probably buy some nets and do it again next year. We almost stayed overnight so we could hit again today (Sat 26th) but didn't. Good luck, hope the big wave comes in today!!

Default Kasilof

I went down to the Kasilof north beach last night about 1/2 hour after low slack. Waltzed out across the mud well downstream of the bulk of those fishing and had a huge red in the net before I even had 3' of water. Not sure why everyone seemed to be standing in 4.5' of water with a 20' handle on their nets as most of the fish were jumping behind them. And then they would wade 30 yards back to shore with every catch.

Anyhow, I had my fish stringer tied on, so I was just slashing gills and stuffing fish on my stringer without ever taking the net out of the water. At one point I had 2 other fish swim into my net while I was busy untangling the first one who managed to wrap up that gill net really well. As soon as he was on the stringer, I worked out number 2, but the third freed himself in the process. Not a problem as I spent just over an hour in the water and put 7 reds on the stringer and went home to clean them (20 minute drive).

Very light crowds around Kasilof as of Friday evening and lots of fish. Except for those who brought their chitna nets. Had a guy fishing a chitna net right next to me and didn't catch a single fish the whole time I was there. You've got to use gillnet down here and you don't need anything more than a 10' handle and waist-deep water.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default I Might Have Seen You...

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I went down to the Kasilof north beach last night about 1/2 hour after low slack. Waltzed out across the mud well downstream of the bulk of those fishing and had a huge red in the net before I even had 3' of water. Not sure why everyone seemed to be standing in 4.5' of water with a 20' handle on their nets as most of the fish were jumping behind them. And then they would wade 30 yards back to shore with every catch.

Anyhow, I had my fish stringer tied on, so I was just slashing gills and stuffing fish on my stringer without ever taking the net out of the water. At one point I had 2 other fish swim into my net while I was busy untangling the first one who managed to wrap up that gill net really well. As soon as he was on the stringer, I worked out number 2, but the third freed himself in the process. Not a problem as I spent just over an hour in the water and put 7 reds on the stringer and went home to clean them (20 minute drive).

Very light crowds around Kasilof as of Friday evening and lots of fish. Except for those who brought their chitna nets. Had a guy fishing a chitna net right next to me and didn't catch a single fish the whole time I was there. You've got to use gillnet down here and you don't need anything more than a 10' handle and waist-deep water.
    I was down there on Friday morning and saw a guy threading fish and keep fishing w/o leaving the water. I was impressed.

I was, however, not impressed with the operator of a green/silver Hewes 18' Sportsman jet boat that felt it was necessary to make fast runs up the congested river and produce wader topping waves for the shore fishermen. Again, the type of selfish and inconsiderate action that may lead to the banning of certain types of craft. That boat was clearly too big for Kasilof at low tide.

Also wasn't impressed with the guy I saw haul a king up the mud, then, when corrected, tried to revive the fish in the current. yeah, like that fish is going to live. Why can't people just read the regs?! And, oh yeah, I saw some people dipping at the top of Tustumena road from the boat ramp.

we got 32 fish friday on the kasilof from about 12 noon until 9 pm. the chitna nets do not work as well as the gill nets. the fish were at times in shallow, waist deep. other times you would catch them deep. i saw a guy with a 17' shaft on his dip net do very well as did the some boats.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

You've got to use gillnet down here and you don't need anything more than a 10' handle and waist-deep water.
    I tried my C.I gillnet hoop in chitina too,worked very good,but its alot of work,but I also seemed to be fishing different than most people as well(never fished there before)id like to price a custom hoop for chitina next.
    All Im gonna say bout that.

If we ever get a decent stretch of weather,Id like to go camping down on the Kasilof again,oh and bring along the net for somethin to do for a few hrs.

ak4195

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VanNostrum View Post
    we got 32 fish friday on the kasilof from about 12 noon until 9 pm. the chitna nets do not work as well as the gill nets. the fish were at times in shallow, waist deep. other times you would catch them deep. i saw a guy with a 17' shaft on his dip net do very well as did the some boats.
    I was there on Friday as well. Where did you fish at? On the corner with the steep bank or just downstream with the more flat area?
    We have two nets with 20' poles and we used my old PVC octagan poles with 10' poles. We put 85 fish in the cooler between 11AM and 8PM. Only two of those were pinks :-)
    The fish were bigger last weekend, but I am not going to complain!!

AK Chappy

Default kasilof, 7/26 and 27th

Did pretty good at kasilof this weekend. Not red hot, but good. I ended up with 16. Fished 3 tides. Our party ended up with 78 fish total.

Smile Kasilof 26th

Dipped Sat, took a while for the river to fill up after all the nets were pulled. 3 grandkids and I had a great time. Friendly people, every one catching fish, we boxed 70 and called it a day, realeased one beautiful King. Still had a few more for the family, but we were tired, wet, and happy.

Talking Slow n steady

Just returned from North Bank Kenai lastnight. Three tides yielded 40 fish. The going is slow but fairly steady. There are some really big fish in the mix this year. I did better than most. I'd say the average right now is about 20 for a full day. It's hard to sweep this year. Where did ALL the people come from?? The difficult part is that the folks new to sweeping don't know the pattern. We need traffic control on the beach.

Well, you know what I'm doing today

I was on the south shore friday night and saturday morning. Friday night was awful. But saturday morning I got a few. Fished from about 7am to 12:30pm and got 12. I did as well or better then the people around me. The people in the area were not drifting and it was working better then any of the drifters that were fishing further up the bank.

We fished the Kenai on Sat. out of a boat. We fished from about 1:30 til 5:30 and we got 39. The dipping definately got better later in the day. It was steady all afternoon and got pretty good right before we left.
    KLICKMAN