Thread: Frame pack

Default Frame pack

Has anyone used that Swiss camping gear frame pack that you can get at Sportsmans wearhouse for $99.00?? I was thinking about getting either one of those or a cabelas one and i couldnt make up my mind.

i bought a cabelas extreme alaskan outfitter pack late last year. there was an internet special so i got it for about $160?. i used it this spring and it packed very well. the only complaint i have is one of the adjustment buckles rides directly on my spine if the pack is heavily loaded. here is a pic of me with only the pack frame carrying out a moose rack from a winterkill i found this spring. the rack fit/balanced very well on the frame without even tying it. it was good to have the rack high on my shoulders like that.

it is easy to take off/put on the pack bag depending on what you want to carry. the water bladder that came with this pack leaked (as i understand most of this brand do) so i replaced it with a camelbak.

good luck in your decision.

If you check out the swap and sell forum i have a really nice Cabelas alaskan outfitter pack and frame for sale, i think its a great pack and with the rain fly down my gear never got wet! Ill let it go to you for 150 if your interested, i really liked it.
    Steve

Default I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    i bought a cabelas extreme alaskan outfitter pack late last year. there was an internet special so i got it for about $160?. i used it this spring and it packed very well. the only complaint i have is one of the adjustment buckles rides directly on my spine if the pack is heavily loaded. here is a pic of me with only the pack frame carrying out a moose rack from a winterkill i found this spring. the rack fit/balanced very well on the frame without even tying it. it was good to have the rack high on my shoulders like that.

it is easy to take off/put on the pack bag depending on what you want to carry. the water bladder that came with this pack leaked (as i understand most of this brand do) so i replaced it with a camelbak.

good luck in your decision.
    I love mine. my only complaint would be that when I was using the rifle pocket, the extra weight started to hurt on the one side after about 4 miles. Of course it's a scoped .300RUM and probably came in at around 9 pounds. not the pack's fault, just something to consider if your pack has that feature.

How about the $100 pack frame from sportsmans warehouse? Any thoughts?

I have always been curious abouthe brown frame they carry that is currently on sale for $59. Seems pretty comfortable. I would take the bottom part of it, but am tempted to give it a try.....

Default Plastic??

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    I have always been curious abouthe brown frame they carry that is currently on sale for $59. Seems pretty comfortable. I would take the bottom part of it, but am tempted to give it a try.....
    Plastic hindges on the bottom, seems like an weak point to me. i dont know if i would trust that in the backcountry while i was packing out a frame full of caribou or moose.

Quote Originally Posted by irishlord View Post
    How about the $100 pack frame from sportsmans warehouse? Any thoughts?
    Thats the one that i started this thread about, i was wondering if anyone has used one. i was at a cabelas recently and like thier pack, but i would rather buy one locally just in case i have problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Plastic hindges on the bottom, seems like an weak point to me. i dont know if i would trust that in the backcountry while i was packing out a frame full of caribou or moose.
    I would take the plastic bottom piece off. Add my own pack / sack to the frame and go from there. I agree the plastic part does not look to burly... However, the frame itself seems pretty sturdy and the straps and hip belt were quite comfortable... You can make your own pack or pick up one from Cabela's or even Barney's. All depends on how much $$ one wants to spend....

I might pick one of the brown frames up in the off season and see if I can run it through a few tests.... I have a good pack, but am always looking for an extra for guests.... To me it looks like a low cost option worth checking out...

The $100 one you are referring to seems to be a hauler only, correct? I only gave it a causal glance as whatever I end up hauling is usually combined with my gear.

I bought a kelty cache hauler for $120, I'll let you know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    I would take the plastic bottom piece off. Add my own pack / sack to the frame and go from there. I agree the plastic part does not look to burly... However, the frame itself seems pretty sturdy and the straps and hip belt were quite comfortable... You can make your own pack or pick up one from Cabela's or even Barney's. All depends on how much $$ one wants to spend....

I might pick one of the brown frames up in the off season and see if I can run it through a few tests.... I have a good pack, but am always looking for an extra for guests.... To me it looks like a low cost option worth checking out...

The $100 one you are referring to seems to be a hauler only, correct? I only gave it a causal glance as whatever I end up hauling is usually combined with my gear.
    yup, it was a hauler only made by Swiss camping gear. I agree, the frame work on the $59 one does look pretty sturdy, let me know how modifiying it turns out. I was also looking at the kelty one that irishlord mentioned and it looks pretty decent, just looking around before I decide what to get. Anyone know how much the Carnivore frame is at Barneys? their web site is down and i havent had a chance to make it to thier shop lately.