Thread: Winchester Pre 64 action 30.06

Default Winchester Pre 64 action 30.06

I was in Cabelas today and found a pre 64 model 70 in 30.06. It was manufactured in 1947 and still has a good barrel. Different piece of wood on it as well as a Lyman Challenger scope with a post reticle. The action was butter smooth and was in amazing shape. They wanted 900 so I had them put it on a 5 day hold for me till I found out more. Is this a good deal? I really only want the action.

I plan on taking it and building a really great 30.06.

Good year, what was the replaced wood like? Any extra holes in the receiver? $900 seems a bit high for the stock not being original, but not outrageous. The one I have from 1950 is one of the slickest pre-64 actions I have played with.

after market stocked looked life a cheap weatheryby, rosewood tip, monte carlo stock. It was not in good shape, maybe 75%. Action and barrel was great, no extra holes or anything and probably 90% original blue.

By the way, scopes have came a long way...That challenger was...well terrible.

PS..As Wayne Van Zwoll would say, the action was as smooth as butter and would lick up rounds like a hound at a sausage trough.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    after market stocked looked life a cheap weatheryby, rosewood tip, monte carlo stock. It was not in good shape, maybe 75%. Action and barrel was great, no extra holes or anything and probably 90% original blue.

By the way, scopes have came a long way...That challenger was...well terrible.

PS..As Wayne Van Zwoll would say, the action was as smooth as butter and would lick up rounds like a hound at a sausage trough.

It just seems like a lot of money to me for fire wood. I find pre-64 actions at gun shows for 450.00 to 650.00 depending on how bad you want to spend money.

If the barrel is in vary good shape, you might find some one to give you a hundred bucks for the old original barrel. Then comes the firewood stock.

My advise would be, either talk this guy back to reality or shop around.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Some of the finger prints on that rifle are mine.
    Not sure if you're aware of it but the prices on Cabela's used guns aren't always firm. If it's been there long enough they will consider offers.

Peel of 6 Hundreds and go no further. Big Al is spot on

I like my pre-64 aught six and your desire is just, no problem there. I know though for a donor it is just not acceptable-for me, the few standard action p-64 I have seeen are up to 600 dollars. Again, it is what your are willing to spend and accept-that is your money and your dream rifle you are considering, each of us has had one project or another that was in the end more than what we wanted to spend on.

I picked up that pre-64 of mine cheap! Thought perhaps I would do the .375 Ruger in it but no, I cleaned ever thing up and re-installed the barrel, used Oxpho on it, put a Redfield 70 on the receiver, bought another used p-64 stock of Ebay and a Williams floorplate and a F/O front and now.....I am quite content. Sold my Ruger Mk II aught six after completion of that little project-quite happy about it.

cheesh, again I am about to ramblin on!

regards,

You could find one for less but if you are making a rifle that you plan to have for many years then the price of the action at $900 is not worth bickering over. Go ahead and see if they will take less.

Another thought is that a new version of that pre-64 design is every bit a good as the original pre-64. The new design has some improvements that actually make it better. They might just need some slicking up to be as smooth as those old pre-64's.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Smile

As a "collectors" piece condition is everything. Plus, original condition is a must.
    In it`s present shape, looks to be a good shooter. Price, is up to you but I`d think about
    the asking price.

Im going to pass on the gun and look for a non transional year action and hopefully for around 600. If not, I am going to buy a classic controlled feed action and slick it up.

Default win 70s

Yep a tough call. Pre-64s in decent shape are collectible and pricey. Pre-war (WWII) 70s take yet another notch up in price. The Classic CRFs are in the current user market so take that into account when shopping/pricing. While the critical tolerances built into the modern Classics via CNC machining, modern casting, etc. are probably better than the pre-64s, they are still not the same. Some of the design features are different and not quite as good as the pre-64s in my opinion. If you have a chance.... take the stocks off both a pre-64 and a modern Classic and compare- better than trying to explain here. Now, for average out of the box accuracy the new guns may be better. Decisions, decisions!

If you can find a 450.00 pre 64 model 70 action JUMP on it! Good luck, finding one for that price. Then you can add a good modern barrel, have the action trued up and have one fine user gun

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Yep a tough call. Pre-64s in decent shape are collectible and pricey. Pre-war (WWII) 70s take yet another notch up in price. The Classic CRFs are in the current user market so take that into account when shopping/pricing. While the critical tolerances built into the modern Classics via CNC machining, modern casting, etc. are probably better than the pre-64s, they are still not the same. Some of the design features are different and not quite as good as the pre-64s in my opinion. If you have a chance.... take the stocks off both a pre-64 and a modern Classic and compare- better than trying to explain here. Now, for average out of the box accuracy the new guns may be better. Decisions, decisions!

If you can find a 450.00 pre 64 model 70 action JUMP on it! Good luck, finding one for that price. Then you can add a good modern barrel, have the action trued up and have one fine user gun
    George keep your eyes open at the locale shows and you can indeed find them in the 450.00 to 650.00 price range (action only). The last action I bought was a long action in .300 H&H jugged out to .300 Weatherby, I sold the scope for a 125.00 gave the guy the rings and bases. I was left with a junk barrel and a stock that was fire wood. That left me with an action with 525.00 in it total. Yes they are around, it just takes some looking. The best candidates for actions are the non collectible restocked and jugged out barrel rifles.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson