Thread: accuracy question

Default accuracy question

Thank you all for your help with my 7mag ammo prediciment. I went to the birchwood range and got my m77 dialed in at 200 yards with the recommended 160 grain nosler partition rounds. The groups were not perfect but I think they are good enough for a moose. What do you all think of 3.5" groups at 200. Keep in mind I am an very inexperienced amateur and was never really taught fundamentals. For you experienced guys out there, does your accuracy seem diminish after about 8 rounds? Mine does

Default accuracy

I have found that my accuracy starts slipping the more I shoot. Here lately, I have really been working on being more accurate after the 10-12 shots. It is amazing at how much more concentration it seems to take after several shots. Never seemed to make much difference if I was shooting a magnum or a small caliber...Eric

Your accuracy is capable of hitting a moose in the heart at 300 yards. You simply don't need more than that.
    Try wearing ear plugs inside of your ear muffs while at the range, it seems to help me a good deal.

Your rate of fire will also effect accuracy. If you are loading and firing without letting the barrel cool down, your groups will increase in size as the barrel heats up. Magnums tend to heat a barrel up fairly quickly. When shooting for groups, wait 1-3 minutes between shots, and wait 3-5 minutes (or longer if needed) between groups to let the barrel cool.

That's plenty good shooting!

One item I highly recomend for range shooting a high powered rifle is a PAST magnum recoil pad for your shoulder. It really takes the sting out of recoil and allows you to concentrate as you can ignore what is coming back at you. The other equally important thing is good hearing protection, I use both ear plugs and ear muffs. Muzzle blast can be just as much of a factor in recoil as the stock coming back.

As far as how many shots until your form comes apart, that depends on alot of factors. How frequently you shoot, how much experience you have, how tired you are, if your stressed, too much cafeine. Some days my best groups are after putting 20-30 rounds down range, other days 10 rounds and I'm not even good with a 22. Speaking of a 22rf, having one to alternate with your hunting rifle is excellent for improving your form.

Do the majority of you practice in field positions. From a bench rest I can keep 3 shots inside 2", maybe a touch less with no wind. From a sitting position its more like a paper plate sized group, ie 8-9" Many folks are hard pressed to stay on a paper plate at 100 yds from field positions.

Don't to forget to practice at home via dry firing, keeping in mind all aspects of gun safety! It's amazing what 50 good snaps a day can do for your shooting form, and resistance to recoil.

I'll pile on this one as well:

Checking zero on my '06 from the bench this year I shot a 2" x 3" group at 200. Then I let it cool and put up a target at 300. Three shots didn't hit the paper. I let the barrel cool, figured out I'd done something stupid, and shot 3 more at 300.

Also a 2x3 group. 100 yards further out.

The only theory I've heard that makes any sense at all is that some modern powders don't foul the barrel so much as coat it, so the 6th-9th shots may actually group better than the 1st - 3d.

That said, after 20 or 30 rounds, I really have to control my tendency to flinch. Others may have better techniques, but I work on clearing my mind, holding on the bullseye, and squeezing the trigger so the rifle surprises me when it goes off. If I don't pay attention to the creep and break of the trigger, I don't know when to flinch. Seems hokey, but it works OK for me...

Default equipment

A good trigger is essential! My old 721 had a trigger pull of around 8-9#s originally (till a friend shot it and griped about the trigger). He took the gun home and reworked it and got the pull down to about 3#s. It is amazing how much better I shoot not having to bear down on the trigger.

A good rifle rest helps too. I have a Cabela's "elite" model which works well (has a strap behind the butt for rifle stability), but I like the idea of the "lead sled" for recoil reduction.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Any idea where I could find a lighter trigger for my old ruger m77?

Default Ruger Trigger

Midway has a good selection of ruger triggers.
    DR B
    http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse

Timney. I put one in my M77 MkII, .22-250....WOW!!!! Easy install, minor filing required. I took my 77MKII .25-06 to a gunsmith (here in CO) and he did a trigger job on it for about half the cost of a Timney. I'm sure there's someon up there who can do it too. I'm not sure if Timney makes one for the old tang safety model, if that's what ya got.

Thumbs up timney

I put a timney on my .300 winmag m77
    its a whole new gun now. I found that the timney spring felt too light so I used the original ruger spring. I thinks its better for a hunting rifle. The ruger trigger is all creepy and too stiff. I think anyway. the timney breaks clean and right off as soon as you squeeze. Just follow the install instructions carefuly and dont overfile it. Also use blenty of locktite on the adjuster once you set it where you like. And If you set the trigger to light the rifle will slam fire when you close the bolt. But For $125 you cant beat it. I whent from 3 to4 inch groups at 200yds to 2.5" just from using the timney instead.

A dirty bore and heat will diminish accuracy greatly. All of my rifles are now cryogenically treated which gives me more shots between cleanings and the heat does not affect my accuracy as bad. Check it out; it is well worth the cost, $150.00 per barrel, gunsmithing included.

Default accuracy question

Colsen,
    Remember your fundamentals, breathing, trigger squeeze, and have the same sight picture every time. If the weapons good, and the scope is on, you should be fine if you remember the basics. Being consistent is the most important part in shooting. Always do the same thing every time. Remember easy squeeze the trigger at the natural pause in your breathing. good shooting, Whit