Thread: 16' alweld

Default 16' alweld

Does anyone have experince with alwelds?
    I was woundering if you thing a 50hp Honda (35jet) would be enough hp on a 1648 alweld with a tunnel. How much weight do you think it could put on step? How Shallow?
    Thanks

Default Should work well

My bro-in-law has a 17' alweld with a Honda 50/35 Jet. That boat scoots right along! He has to throttle way back when running the Little su on many of the corners. His isn't a tunnel but that shouldn't make much difference. I have seen him run the boat on step no problem with 5 adults and 3 kids with some gear. That Honda 50/35 is an impressive motor (but pricey too). You shouldn't have any problem with that set up.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up thanks, width?

Do you know how wide his boat is? sounds like a good set up

Default hmm...

I'm not for certain but I'm thinking it's about a 4' beam. Pretty stable, nice overall boat.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The bottom width is 48", hence the 1648 model number. 16' long, 48" wide.

The beam (width of the top of the boat) is 68".

I have no idea how it would run with a 35. IMHO it would be a little underpowered. I used to run a Monarch 20' with a 4' bottom. I had twin engines, a 70 and 75. About 50 at the jet.

When one motor blew I took it off and moved the other one to the middle. It would get onstep with 2 people in it, but not much more.

I would go with the max rated HP for that hull. You can always throttle back.

Unless you're wanting to use it on the Kenai with the HP restrictions.

Smile boat ratings

The boat is rated for 35w/ tiller and 50 w/ remote steering. I was wondering how wide the boat akmud was talking about was. Thanks for the input.

Whoops, didn't read who was writing what.
    Sorry

It looks like the 65 would be about 170lbs heavier than the 35.

On their website they don't list the weights for the Jetdrive engines. I had to look at the prop drive and compare the 3cylinder to the 4cylinder.

Have you looked into any other engines?

Thumbs up Any other opinion's

Thanks, Any one else have an opinion. I was thinking about a Yamaha either a 2 or 4 stroke 50 or 60. I want to keep it lite and fuel efficient.

I run an Alumaweld 18' Sled with a Merc 115 jet. This boat is a real screamer and probalby the best boat I've owned. I've owned six jets boats in the past twenty-five years, this is my favorite and I don't plan to replace it any time soon. I've often wondered what it would do with a 150 HP engine, but then do I really need the extra power? Not really and the boat is rated for 115 HP max. However, I think you are better off going with at least the maximum rated HP engine for your boat. You can always use more power.

Go with a 4 stroke. If you ever go to the Kenia you will be legal