Thread: Bad weather and hunting.

Default Bad weather and hunting.

This year has been a crappy year for weather and if it turns out to be a wet and windy hunting season you can forget about calling moose. In fact, you may need to rethink your hunting area and method of hunting unless your used to hunting in the rain and wind.

Just think:
    Creeks turning into rivers overnight.
    Trails turning into bottomless muck holes.
    Dry swamps turning into a lake, I am not kidding, I have seen this happen several times.
    Trying to keep dry or drying your clothes at night in a small tent is almost impossible. The good news is most hunters will spend the day in their tent and there will be very few people on the trail or hunting.

As bad as this sounds there are several things you can do to get an animal.
    If your method of hunting is calling, you might consider stalking, moose canít hear in the rain so itís easy to sneak up on them, or try still hunting. In some areas you have only 15 days moose season. If you get rained out of your area there is no time to figure out where to go. I would also have a 2nd or 3rd backup hunting area.

If you hunt from a boat, rain can be your friend, opening up rivers and back water sloughs that are extremely shallow on a normal year. If you know of a river with lots of moose and you canít hunt because of the low water, this may be your year to hunt it.

I not trying to scare you, itís just that in the last several years we have had very dry hunting seasons and most hunters are not prepared for several days of rain and hi water much less snow at the higher elevation.

Not trying to be a smart ***** but whether it's raining or not the moose are still going to rut. I have never found any circumstance where calling didn't have some kind of affect on moose. I do however agree with the rest of your post, the rain is going to cause a lot of problems with access if you have to cross creeks/rivers/ streams if your using wheelers or going in on foot. It's still a little bit early to tell just how much the weather is going to affect access and hunting but right now it's not looking to good.

Default No surrender and no retreat

I stillhunt either way and when the weather is bad I really dislike sitting in the rain but do it anyways, it is a real test of patience. Sitting under a tarp helps but still isnt fun when its really coming down.

I was just thinking today if this keeps up there might be some decent coats on those early sheep, although I doubt its affecting them that much.

R.M. - You have a very valid point and your advice should be taken to heart. There is the potential to make many hunts "challenging" and in some cases may present the potential for "dicey" conditions to say the least, especially as relates to the waterways. Also, as you pointed out there may be the potential to open "new opportunities". I would suspect that what we have seen so far this summer will most likely be a trend that will continue on into the fall and hence will try many hunters wet weather hunting skills. My advice would be to "be prepared" and really take advantage of the "good days"!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Not trying to be a smart ***** but whether it's raining or not the moose are still going to rut. I have never found any circumstance where calling didn't have some kind of affect on moose.
    AkHunterAK:

I consider your comment as being extremely intelligent, yes moose will continue to go into rut. The problem I have seen is moose will not hear you. Letís say youíre calling covers a distance of Ĺ to ĺ miles, in the rain that distance is reduced to a block or less, if they canít hear you they will not come.

Default still hunt with call

In SE for deer thats what were able to do.......although I wouldn't head off too far away from camp or accessable roads and down a moose.

Cool conditions and mostly overcast days will push this year's rut up one week for sure from what we've been experiencing. That will be better for those areas that close earlier. Start hunting the 20th and you'll be done by the 24th.

Rutting Moose is right. Calling is still effective but less-so during bad weather. A Bull Magnet will help you get your message out there...

Full moon is on the 15th. Moose will be more mid-day active during that week, so DON'T take that noon siesta! Start later in the morning and continue at it until dark.

The most miserable hunters this year will be the sheep hunters. The early hunters will not get the usual 60's-plus temperatures that we've become accustomed to, and wetter weather will prevail. Many will wish they had crampons because the moss will be saturated on the rocks and there is still snow left from last winter in shady areas.

The heavy rains will swell the berries sooner, which means they will drop sooner. Late bears will be frustrated by this and cause more problems for hunters away from their camps. They are already frustrated by fewer salmon this year in alot of areas. I think that is because the water never warmed up on time and there is still ice run-off.

Now...
    Print this out and hold it in one hand. Do a coin toss with the other. Both are equally accurate!! Haah!

Taylor

Default July snow??

What about this July snow fall????

I for one am looking forward to the possibility of hunting in weather other than 75 degrees and full sun. If that means 45 degrees and rain, I'll take it. My last two moose/caribou hunts were waaaay to hot.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I for one am looking forward to the possibility of hunting in weather other than 75 degrees and full sun. If that means 45 degrees and rain, I'll take it. My last two moose/caribou hunts were waaaay to hot.

To which I say Amen!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default weather

Its Alaska. Noone can predict what the weather is gonna be like no matter what our summer has been like. Im hunting the last half of september and I'll bet I see Sun, Rain, Wind, and Probably even snow just like I see every year. All you need to do is prepare for any type of weather and have a game plan as to how you will hunt in each of those types of weather.

Default Amen

This is a real no bull kind of thread......good folks posting solid exprience.

Be prepared and get-er-done.

Being a skilled hunter takes vision and adaptablility.

If its as bad as your saying up north.....I hope the visablity impoves for the sheep hunters. Thats where a good scouting trip pre-season and experience comes into play. As long as a guy knows where he's heading to get into posistion then he can head up in the mountains and wait out the clouds....time permiting. It's really pouring rain in SE this week.

I'll also toss that coin and sacrifice the vodoo chicken.

Default rain rain rain

I have already resighned myself to a very wet and muddy hunting season. was lookin got get a new set of boots this year but am really starting to consider new rain gear instead. im primarily a still hunter so im expecting to be rather water logged by the end of the season. lol. but to be honest im kinda looking forward to the cooler conditions. as we all know warm weather makes for great wearther for riding the qaud but lousy moose hunting weather. looking forward to a cool wet week up in delta.

i got the itch moose fever is starting to kick in. happy hunting and good luck to all

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Cool conditions and mostly overcast days will push this year's rut up one week for sure from what we've been experiencing. That will be better for those areas that close earlier. Start hunting the 20th and you'll be done by the 24th.

Rutting Moose is right. Calling is still effective but less-so during bad weather. A Bull Magnet will help you get your message out there...

Full moon is on the 15th. Moose will be more mid-day active during that week, so DON'T take that noon siesta! Start later in the morning and continue at it until dark.

The most miserable hunters this year will be the sheep hunters. The early hunters will not get the usual 60's-plus temperatures that we've become accustomed to, and wetter weather will prevail. Many will wish they had crampons because the moss will be saturated on the rocks and there is still snow left from last winter in shady areas.

The heavy rains will swell the berries sooner, which means they will drop sooner. Late bears will be frustrated by this and cause more problems for hunters away from their camps. They are already frustrated by fewer salmon this year in alot of areas. I think that is because the water never warmed up on time and there is still ice run-off.

Now...
    Print this out and hold it in one hand. Do a coin toss with the other. Both are equally accurate!! Haah!

Taylor
    Nostradamus! Please forecast where my 40"er will be laying on August 10.

I want a much colder fall this year compared to the past couple of years, and if it's going to be wet at the same time, so be it....