Thread: Leeches

Question Leeches

Okay. Okay. I know... it's a common fact here in Alaska (and in Lower 48 states) that leeches will be everywhere and anywhere.

Here is the deal.
    Our children have swam, kayaked, and rafted in our pond for 2 summers now and this summer if the first summer where we have had a leech on one of the kids (from ear to lower neck).
    My response after being repulsed and screaming while I am in the middle of working?
    Salt.
    Pen Top.
    Gone.

Now, I'd like for our kids to start swimming in the pond again, but they are all a tad freaked out to get in and I have considered treating the water before they do go in again.

The only thing that we have planned for our pond is fish.

The reason why I am posting is to find out if there is something else that we can do to not necessarily get rid of the leeches (because I am quite sure that you can't get rid of them) but to alleviate as many as we could have in our pond. We don't want to treat the water because it's part of our water table. We have 2 dead sloughs on our property, too. Those sloughs do not connect to the actual pond.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in Advanced!

(yes, I have already googled and I am not finding anything really other than filling the pond with fish)
    Lurker.

fish may help a little. There is not much else you can do. I would just say if they are afraide of the leeches then stay away from weeds and logs. Leaches generally stay around shelter.

Put a gravel base in the part of the pond you use for swimming and it will cure most of your leach problems. Fish are very good about picking leaches off when they get in the gravel.

Default leeches are good eating...

& they're used medicinally in other parts of the world, for infection removal...good stuff leeches are...& they slay bass like you won't believe!

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    fish may help a little. There is not much else you can do. I would just say if they are afraide of the leeches then stay away from weeds and logs. Leaches generally stay around shelter.
    Yeah... I was reading that. We do have logs and grassy area in the pond. That's probably where he picked it up at. I'll encourage them to go back out and to not go around the logs or grass.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Put a gravel base in the part of the pond you use for swimming and it will cure most of your leach problems. Fish are very good about picking leaches off when they get in the gravel.
    Yeah... we already have a slight gravel base, but the kids like to make tunnels and water falls which has made the gravel base slightly erode. Maybe we can do that when we do more landscaping around the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    & they're used medicinally in other parts of the world, for infection removal...good stuff leeches are...& they slay bass like you won't believe!
    ...oh, I see. So you are trying to say that I should go in the leech selling industry.

Just what I need. :) Another business idea! ;)
    Lurker.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    ...oh, I see. So you are trying to say that I should go in the leech selling industry.

;)

sell to law firms..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

HEre's something I used back in the northwoods to catch them for walleye bait.

Take around a dozen coffee cans w/ lids and punch 1/4" holes around sides of the can. Make sure there's a good burr in the inside of the can. In otherwords, don't file the burrs down inside the can. Next, bait them with some good bloody meat like chicken livers, meat chuncks, etc... Place the lid on top of the can and submerge them in your target area using a rock which will keep your trap in place. Check them daily, and for better results, change the bait often.

Most of the leeches I used to catch were in shallow water sloughs and ponds, mucky bottoms, weedy shorelines, and littered with logs or other debris... I guess if you have these conditions present you can alter the environment for better parasite control. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    sell to law firms..
    *smiles*
    Do any of the attorney's on the board want my leeches?

Quote Originally Posted by barleydog View Post
    HEre's something I used back in the northwoods to catch them for walleye bait.

Take around a dozen coffee cans w/ lids and punch 1/4" holes around sides of the can. Make sure there's a good burr in the inside of the can. In otherwords, don't file the burrs down inside the can. Next, bait them with some good bloody meat like chicken livers, meat chuncks, etc... Place the lid on top of the can and submerge them in your target area using a rock which will keep your trap in place. Check them daily, and for better results, change the bait often.

Most of the leeches I used to catch were in shallow water sloughs and ponds, mucky bottoms, weedy shorelines, and littered with logs or other debris... I guess if you have these conditions present you can alter the environment for better parasite control. Good luck!
    Sick and Nasty!
    Do those baits really work? Have you tried them before... in Alaska?
    (quivering and shuttering)
    Oh geez... I am getting the squirmies just thinking about it.
    Lurker.

Sorry if that was a rhetorical question but...If you grab them near their head and let them try to grab you onto your thumbnail with their sucker you can put the hook through the tough part of their mouth which is pretty easy to see and, by using your thumbnail as a backstop they are pretty easy to hook. They stay on the hook and are pretty lively this way. Lake trout LOVE them.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Sorry if that was a rhetorical question but...If you grab them near their head and let them try to grab you onto your thumbnail with their sucker you can put the hook through the tough part of their mouth which is pretty easy to see and, by using your thumbnail as a backstop they are pretty easy to hook. They stay on the hook and are pretty lively this way. Lake trout LOVE them.
    Well, as soon as our pond isn't frozen over for the winter, I will start the baiting process and use them for Lake Trout. That would actually be a great deal of fun for the children, but not for me. I'll enjoy the fishing, but not the leeches. I can't handle putting those on hooks.
    :D
    I'll have my husband do it for me!!!!
    Lurker.

You'll have to kill them before you fish with them. No live bait.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/