Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best all around gun

Default best all around gun

I would like some opinions on the best all around gun for say a trapper. This trapper might have to shoot a wolf he sees on a lake, maybe a grouse for dinner or an animal caught in a trap. maybe this gun does not exist the best I can come up with is a savage 24, any other ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I would like some opinions on the best all around gun for say a trapper. This trapper might have to shoot a wolf he sees on a lake, maybe a grouse for dinner or an animal caught in a trap. maybe this gun does not exist the best I can come up with is a savage 24, any other ideas??
    I would get a stainless steel savage in something like 243. Then start hand loading so you could tailor rounds for certain purposes including dispatching animals at close range. The Cheapo savage cause they can flat shoot and you won't cry when you see how much you beat it up carrying it all the time.

What about a .44 mag using solids and maybe shot shells? Light rifle, and can be used for bigger toothy critters in a pinch. A solid shouldn't expand too much on small game, but would penetrate enough on bigger game. I know someone who cut his barrel back to 18", cut his magazine back to only hold 5 rounds, hollowed out his stock for ammo storage. The rifle only weighed about 5 lbs when he finished. I saw one at a gun show that someone cut the stock off to just behind the lever, and cut it back to barely legal 16-1/2" long. Whole rifle was about 24" which was still a legal rifle. Had a peep sight on it. Probably would have made a good backpack rifle without having to have a pistol with associated regulations in some states.

Winchester 94 - 30.30...Can't go against what works

Default my thoughts.

Hate to say this.

SKS with folding stock and extended clip.

M4 clone in 223 rem with extended clip.

either one are great trapping guns and you find that ammo is cheap.

A trapping gun may have to take down a bear or a moose up close.

Both will do this but its not fun.

I don't know if either is legal in Canada.

I know many people in the bush with these two set ups.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Back when I was living north of the Circle, I did a fair amount of winter trapping to make ends meet.

Some things to consider.

1. It is cold as hell and there are no bears in the winter, so forget protection.

2. It is cold as hell and you need to be able to work the thing with mittens or gloves.

3. It is cold as hell, so you need an action that won't jam up, and a stock that won't snap off like sugar candy at 50 below.

4. You already have lots of junk to haul around, traps, bait, tools, tent, sleeping bag, food, heavy clothes and a good heat source, because it is cold as hell. Small and light work out just fine.

5. You do not want a big caliber hole in your pelts. Trapping is a hard and dirty money business. There is no use making all that work and suffering (on both ends) unless you need to make enough money to pay the bills. Blasting a huge hole through a critter is a god way to waste your time.

A lot of the old timers were still using 22 Hornets where I was living. I knew one old guy who only used a 32-20 pistol with solid jacketed bullets.

I tried a 22 magnum , but found that I had ejection problems in the cold. I ended up using an M-1 carbine because that was what I had. But, it made holes going out boths sides and it did not put down the larger critters (wolverines, wolves) very fast.

A 223 / 20 gauge over and under might work but they are kinda big when space is a concern.

Trapping is not hunting.
    Trapping is not a survival gun situation.
    Trapping is not running around with a huge magazine (not clip) acting like you are waiting for the Russians to invade.
    It is a bottom line business with a slim profit margin.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default thanks

Thanks guys, some good suggestions there. I do need something for bears tho, our season here starts the 1st of Nov. (for marten ect) beaver starts 1st of Oct. I have ran into bears as late as Nov. 15th and they are almost always nasty then. guess a guy would almost have to carry 2 guns at least till the bears go to sleep. yea the sks is legal here, my son has a CZ. I guess that might work, not the best for bear but you could sure scare one with it!

A Ruger Mini-14 might work ok also. Light weight, small bullet diameter if pelt damage is a consideration. Don't know the time of year you run your trap lines, but I was thinking about possible bears the reason for the .44 mag.

I would think a FMJ out of an SKS wouldn't make a big hole in a pelt and would do a number on a wolf and you could get a lot of bullets into a bear in short order...Do you have magaizine restrictions?

I've found mine to be very accurate offhand with iron sites out to 300 yds. Can hit a 12" gong 100% of the time.

Has anyone used or seen those little sabot rounds that turn a 30-06 in to a .22 in a sabot round standard 30-06 case? That might do for your trapping needs? And of course 06 for bigger problems.

Default mag

yes we do have mag restrictions its 5 i believe. the cz my son bought came with 4 30 round clips with a rivet to keep it at 5! now if a guy would have wanted in about 3 sec. you could knock out the rivet and have a 30 round mag. go figure! I was just looking at rugers website I see they have a new caliber 6.8mm spc ????

AR 15 chambered for 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc. Light weight configuration 16". Ten round magazines or larger, not for the russians, rather to keep ammo all in the same place, where it does the most good.

1.5 to 5X scope

Savage made a model 24-V. It was a twenty gauge under a 222 Remington C/F rifle barrel. It was just what was needed many times for trapping and an occasional coyote or fox on the run or to bring home a quail or two for supper. I wish I still had that thing.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

My buddy uses a lever action .357 saddle rifle that I think Marlin made. 18 inch barrel, shot shells, hollow points or solids. Tiny, fast, reliable, accurate to 100yds, and just plain cool.

Default Savage 24

I had an old Savage 24 22 Mag over 20 gauge. It worked good and accounted for a lot fox and coon. 22 Mag was a little hot. I always wished that Savage had made a 22LR/L/S over 12, but the 20 worked alright. A little hot on top and a little weak on bottom. some shot and a a good slug on the bottom should take care of most needs. Unfortunately now Savage doesn't even make the 24 at all.

Default ever thought about...

a .22 revolver, plus a rifle, say a Browning BLR in 30-06? This way, you could have a rifle of decent power if you wanted to take a long shot at a wolf or if you ran into a bear. And the .22 could be used on a grouse or squirrel for dinner, and to dispatch the animals caught in the traps. I have never trapped wolf or lynx, but in my experience anything bigger than a .22 is a waste for dispatching anything up to coyote in size. It's not as if you have to shoot them from long range--they aren't going anywhere. Plus there is almost not pelt damage with a .22. I imagine a .22 to the brain would take out a wolf or lynx plenty easy too. I visited a slaughterhouse once and a .22 was all they used to kill the hogs and cattle. One shot to the head and they dropped like rocks.

Just my $.02. I recommend the revolver because generally they are more reliable than an auto in cold, wet, dirty conditions. Something like a S&W Airlite would be very unobtrusive.

I agree about the revolver in the cold.

I wonder how that works in Canada?
    Are you guys allowed to have handguns anymore?

Are you using leg hold jaw-traps or Conabear type traps?

I always wondered hw the 17 HRM would work for cross fox and martins that were still kickin....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

.223 top barrel
    12 ga bottom barrel (with a slug for bears)

Any two-barrel setup, single shot would work.

I like the revolver .22 idea, but would opt for a 12 gauge pump with a smooth bore rifle sighted barrel, instead of a rifle. Slugs for carry, slide in the shot shells for grouse.

Default perfect gun

My vote would be some sort of scatter gun.....probably an 870 3.5". As for the question float pilot has about the .17 HMR on small critters.....It will leave an amazing exit hole on fox sized critters up close with any of the ammo I have tried. I am extremely impressed with that little round. I have taken three coyotes with instant kills and no fur damage. The bullet will pass through anything smaller at close range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast