Thread: buying handguns in AK

Default buying handguns in AK

My daughter is in the National Guard in AK. She has been there less than a year, can she buy a handgun yet?? What about private sales how does that work in AK.? or pawn shops? She is liveing in Fairbanks, I have looked in the NEWs Miner classified adds (online version) and did not see any guns listed?? Any ideas??

Default Natl Guard gunslinger

First of all, I appreciate your daughter's service. If she is twenty-one, has valid Alaska I.D. and or her duty papers, she should be okay. She is legally stationed here, yes? A private sale is okay too.

Default legal

mauserboy yea she is there legally, (i live work in canada but was born in usa) she is 22 so thats not a problem, but kept her yukon drivers lic. for school in fairbanks. she does have a military id tho. how do private sales work? does the seller have to check your id?? Thanks

Default legal

Yukon 254,

Since your daughter is not Active Duty (unless she is a National Guard soldier on fulltime duty) she cannot use her military orders to purchase a weapon. If she would get an Alaska Drivers Lic she would be able to walk into Sportsmans and purchase a weapon after the 5 minute criminal background check came back.
    As to private sale of firearms, I have bought 4 weapons since I have been here (18 months) frm private sellers and it was all just a cash transaction and very simple.
    The NewsMiner does run gun adds, but only a couple times a week do you find any listed.
    You might post an add in the trading/forsale section and I am sure you will get plenty of responses from people looking to unload a weapon or two.
    What type of pistol are you looking at for your daughter? How well is she at handling weapons?
    Hope this helps
    Greg

If she's not fulltime Active Nat. Guard, I'm not sure what her Post Exchange access is like at Ft. Wainright? If she has access, she can also buy a pistol there.

Default Post exchange

Herman,

Good point and even though she is not fulltime Guard she has full access to everything on FT Wainwright with the exception of medical and dental. But she will still need that Alaska Drivers Lic to purchase a weapon there also. My first pistol I bought here was at the sports store and I did not have my Alaska DL yet and had to show them my orders bringing me to FT Wainwright.
    Also depending on what she is looking for as a weapon Walmart and Sportsmans is usually cheaper. Sometimes the Sports store will match the price, but it is sometimes a pain in the butt trying to explain or prove to them it is cheaper somewhere else. The PX is not as good of a benefit as it use to be.

Greg

Default thanks

Thanks guys that really helped. She grew up with guns, (rifles) she is looking for somthing to carry on hiking/camping trips that might do double duty as a CC gun. I didnt know the PX carried guns. She does go to FT. Wainwright for some drills but her unit is down in Anchorage, maybe the PX there carries more.

Default WalMart not

I personally don't shop for firearms at Wal-Martski. They are normally barely cognizant of the proper legalities involved and at the store in Anchorage, they have handguns on display, but they are inactivated and they must order one for you. They are not gun people, they just sell guns. If you need help after the sale, forget it!

Default Pistols

Yukon,

The Sports Store on FT Wainwright carries anything that she will need. I know though that if she is going to be doing a lot of hiking then she is going to want to stay with a big 357 or 44 and with those it is going to be hard to use it for CC also. I know they have a lot of Springfield XD and sorts in .40 and .45 and in the compact size is a great CC gun, but they also are going to do very little when crossing paths with a bear that is hungry. I have a Taurus 44 with a ported barrel that I got there and it has a 5 inch barrel and still has a good amount of kick to it. If you go smaller on the barrel size to help with CC you are going to have so much recoil that if your first shot is off on a bear you might not get that second shot if you know what I mean. Also my 44 I carry on my belt with a nice leather skinny holster and with a coat on you cannot see it. I would rather be ready in the field than worrying about a CC gun. She can carry the 44 in her car as it is just so she is not drinking.
    Hope this helps and if she needs any help let me know and I will give you my number for her and I can help her out as much as I can. And yes I am in the Army, a Senior NCO and been in 15 years and I take great pride in helping soldiers.
    Greg

Default walmart

Mauserboy,

Thanks for the info on Walmart. I did not know that is how they sold their guns as I have never bought one there before, but had looked at them. Just would rather keep it local and have someone to go back to if I had problems. Thanks again and I will stop looking at theirs to buy. I hate to wait..lol

Greg

All that is required to purchase a handgun in Alaska is have an Alaska address with intent to become a resident, (what ever that means) even if you have only been in the state 15 minutes. And of course be 21. If she is a resident of another country, she cannot buy a handgun. You must be resident of the state in which you buy or active duty military stationed here under orders. Private sales are just that...private.

And as for Wal-mart, there is never any reason to buy anything there ever.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm pretty sure if you are military, that to buy a gun at the PX you don't need an AK drivers license, just Orders stationing you in AK, and a valid drivers license, military ID. I had one when I bought a revolver here at Elmendorf, but I know others that weren't AK residents, but just had orders.

Yeah, the BX/PX system in Alaska I think is the only ones in the system that carry guns.

A couple of guys here at the Walmart in Eagle River know about guns. Yes, they won't be much help, but neither will Sportsman's wharehouse (from experience) or the PX. Most tell you to deal with the manufacturer after the sale. As far as Walmart recording gun sales, I actually talked to the folks at the Eagle River Walmart here and they said that they don't do seperate recordings, they merely keep on file the overhead security camera digital recordings from the sports desk where the sale goes down. The same digital recording of you is kept for a long time when you buy a CD, clothes, lawnmower, etc there. They don't actually set you up in front of a special camera and record the transaction. I didn't like it the first time I heard about it, but have softened my stance since i got more info.

She can also buy one on-line from gunbroker.com or the NRA sanctioned site (I don't remember the name). They run like ebay with feedback ratings etc. She needs to do the transfer through an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder. That may be a gun store or an individual in her area. Gunbroker.com lists some if you put in your town/zip code.

Good luck shopping!

Default not recording gun sales?

I need to know what you mean by Wal-Mart not recording individual gun sales. Are you saying that they don't fill out the 4473 or what? I sure as heck wouldn't want a video recording of me doing anything. Not that I have anything to hide, but it sounds intrusive to me. What a strange store policy. Well, it is Wally World.
    As far as buying online, there is always the possiblity that you won't get what you paid for, though that is not a frequent case, but you have to pay for shipping and for a dealer to receive the gun for you. Unless it is a unique firearms, I prefer ftf.

Most major department stores have recorders running 24/7. So someone steals your identity, goes to WalMart, buys a S&W 329 and then robs the PFD. No one gets a check and now all the citizens in Alaska are looking for you. But wait, someone at AST goes and checks WalMarts video. It wasn't you after all. But is sure looks Borat Alabama. Cause solved and your cleared. Sometimes these things come in handy.