Thread: lifts??

Default lifts??

Hi guys Ive been reading all these posts on the freighter canoes with a lot of interest, a friend just bought a 21 ft scott to use on the Liard. With gas prices it seems the way to go. Some of you are talking about "lifts" what are they and what do they do?? How shallow can you guys go with the freighters?? I do a lot of guideing in the fall and have been wondering how a scott would do with a small surface drive on it??Thanks

Default Lifts

Lifts allow you to raise the motor vertically for shallow water running. I used a spring assist outboard mount on my Grumman Sport Boat for 13 plus years worked great in shallow water. Do a search should have some pictures.

VernAK in the Scott thread mentioned that his friend had a lift on his 21' Scott. May he can tell us more about it. I would sure be interested in the answer to your question.

There is a photo on the lower left hand side at http://www.nor-west.ca/html/canoe/ca...isasibi_en.htm that has something that may be a lift. I recall seeing a couple of much larger photos on one of their old websites and I'm pretty sure that the hardware on the stern was a lift.
    Last edited by foamsfollower; 07-24-2008 at 17:51. Reason: forgot stuff

Default Mud motors

good idea?
    will it work up north?
    http://www.mudbuddy.com/Mini%20HD%20Lite.htm
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default lifts

The Mud Buddy and similar rigs would probably work but they raise the CG kinda high and I'm not sure how efficient the would be on lakes and calmer rivers....

At one time there was a guy in Fairbanks selling jacklifts through Beaver Sports.....

I'll ask around a bit more but I think my neighbors built their own lifts....

Vern

Thumbs up lifts

I have a 19' Grumman with a lift. My lift was made by J. Klingel, who is also a member of these boards. At one time, he made lifts for both the 19' Grumman and the 17' Osagian. He has since sold his jigs to another maker, who continues to make lifts. Do a search on J Klingel, and you'll find his announcement of the new builder of lifts.

In a thread on this canoe board last year, Mr. Klingel expressed a strong interest in the Scott-type freighter canoes, and was thinking of trying to have one made of aluminum.

The Klingel lifts are termed "jackass" lifts, and involve no springs, simply a long lever/handle that is pushed down and secured down with a hook, leaving the motor in a raised position.

An old timer suggested to me that I use a "chop prop" on my 15 horse Yamaha. Most props don't function well when part of the blades are above the surface. A"chop prop" is designed to work in choppy water where the prop isn't always fully submerged. Such a prop would make it possible to run ever shallower. Sometime, I'd like to try one. I'm told Yukon 800 racers use "chop props" on their race outboards.

Default Lift

have used a lift for about 25 years still going strong can rize the motor with one finger on the handle , when you are in shallow water you don't go as fast as you do in deep water, you will use props up, with a lift on a frighter you can run on afout 6 inchs water not fast but it beats walking

SID

Here is a picture of the Kingle lift, now made by Pete Weaver

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=GRUMMAN
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default pete weaver

Pete Weaver was supposed to make a lift for a friend of mine, told him it would be done in a few weeks and he never heard from him again nor has he been able to get ahold of him..............................

Default lifts

Pete Weaver made a lift for my 17' Osage last September. I was a little wary as I knew he had just acquired the jig and thought he might be just starting to weld. I needed not worry for he is (associated with? owns?) a very professional welding and obvious design operation towards North Pole from Fairbanks. He spent quite a bit of time with me going over the unit and it was obviously well made. Even offered to come by after work and help install it. I was perfectly satisfied with fit and design. Maybe he has been away down south or something at present.

Pete made my lift and delivered it to me in Anchorage early Spring 2008. He communicated well with me and the lift looks well made. I have lost his phone number and his gmail account is inactive. ????
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default Lifts

Here is a picture of my lift on a 21" Scott. Just tested it this week boat is faster as prop has a better bite. Prop will run without
    cavatation & full water flow with skag well above bottom of boat! Lift was made for a Grumman Sport boat but I like the simple
    design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Jackass Lifts

The picture of the lift on the Scott canoe is a nice example of a
    Jackass lift. There are some that are spring assist. Most of them
    are designed for a 40hp tiller on a jon boat. I found a couple
    recently for a 30hp that are lighter. Don't know of any one that
    still makes them.