Thread: Dumb question on pinks

Default Dumb question on pinks

Been here in Alaska several years now but have done little fishing for pinks, always for reds or silvers. The few times we have we only kept the females and smoked them. We are headed out with family from the lower 48 and expect to catch several pinks. Can you keep fillets off the males when they start showing the pronounced hump or does it negatively affect the quality of the meat? Told you it was a dumb question.

Mart

You only want ocean bright pinks, they start to turn very quickly once in fresh water.

That depends on how picky you are. If you do decide that you want to keep a male pink with a slight hump, I would stay away from the meat next to the hump. A lot of people eat fresh pinks thinking they are silvers.

Talking

we kept 5 pinks sunday, one of which was a male. i prefer to keep only females, but my wife caught the male so you know darn well it went on the stringer

anyhoo in my experience as long as the males are dime bright, the hump meat looks, feels, and tastes just like the rest of the fillet.

The pinks should be very silver not just light in color. You should almost mistake them for a small silver. Just because they are in saltwater does not make them edible. When I am being picky about Pinks the males will not have much of a hump.

The Pinks go from silver to pale to pink.

This pink is past its prime. The pinks back is starting to darken in color and the fish is pale rather than silver although the hump is not very pronounced.

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".