Thread: Overnight halibut charter..Aug 6th

Default Overnight halibut charter..Aug 6th

Booked an overnight charter for 'buts on aug 6th with alaska coastal marine, they said they have 12 folks booked so far but need at least 15-20 to make the run, they cancelled alot of trips this year due to lack of bookings.
    did this trip with them several years ago and had a great time, except now the boat has bunks!! anyway, just wanted to fire it out there to promote the charter in case it gets cancelled cause not enough folks book it. 265 or something is the rate...4 halibut is the limit it leaves at like 4 or 5 pm from homer on the 6th and gets back between 9-1 on the 7th....if anyones intersted....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

265 eh? That ain't bad. My dad went on one a couple years back and it SUCKED. Terrible weather, poor fishing and some really irritating out of staters.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My Friends Jerry And Matt Are The Captains Of The Nautilus 2 You Will Have A Good Time And The Boat Is Awesome And So Is The Crew...have Fun....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Where do the over night trips run too? It would not be a bad deal if they ran out to the Barren Islands, or somewhere else in the gulf.

The website says they run to the Barren, Chugach and Elizabeth Islands. I am booked of an August 2nd and 3rd trip. It seems to be a pretty decent deal.

Default overnighter

We went out on the same trip 2 weeks ago. All the fishing was by the Barrens. If you keep your expectations rights you can have a great time. We had 36 fisherpeople on the boat - that is a lot of people for one thing - a lot of lines in the water with a good tide makes for some good tangles. Their goal is to limit the boat - you don't limit a boat with 36 people on it with 100 pound fish - you limit the boat with Chickens. Now if you think about it - 4 10 pound chickens is 20 pounds of halibut for your freezer - at 15$ per pound of meat that is 300$ - so you just paid for your boat and tip and had a good time doing it.

The crew was top notch BTW.

There were 2 annoying (to me) women on the boat...one was a witchy know-it-all - she was the first to get sick and puke what little brains she had into the ocean The other was a cranky old grannie. I was chewin some tobackie and spit into the water - came close to her - and boy did she get mad. The next morning when we were limiting on chickes she came out of the cabin throwing puke out her pie hole and got puke on my wife - so I let her know right away just how cool that was - and that I was glad she was puking (my wife was a bit PO'd at me for that one !)..........so both of the ole biddies got their's!

The halibut fishing really really slows down when it gets dark - but that is when they catch the bigger fish - if a fish bites it is usually a large one when it is dark.

I went with a party of 5. One of the girls caught a 100 pound fish (length calculated and scale verified) which was the second largest caught that trip. Three fish were over 50 pounds on the boat for the trip. The rest of my party of 5 caught chickens. We put 200 pounds of fish in the freezer.

Great trip - but not something that I will do again. I would do an overnighter on a 8 pack - with only friends on the boat. Much more personal that way - I didn't even know that Jessica had a big fish because I was on the other side of the boat.

ha ha, i enjoyed the story of the old biddie, thanks

Good story... I will pass on the 36 pack boat. It's too long a boat ride with that many people.

Bullekklr,

Sounds kinda like the trip I had an an overnighter about 8 years ago, though we didn't have annoying folks on the trip. Actually a group of us went down together, which made for a fun trip. Definately keep your expectations realistic, getting that many fish on the boat in a short order means they hit the chicken holes hard. That's a nice fish, into the hold, next.

Personally I'd put the $ into a good six pack and chase a couple of larger fish vs. 4 little ones.

Question question

How do they keep track of everybody's fish with that many people on board? I know a few folks can combine and mark their fish with an X and split the catch, but how do they do it with 30 people on board? Also, can they process the fish on board...didn't think they could so F/G can count the limits???

thx

Default Did the trip last year

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    How do they keep track of everybody's fish with that many people on board? I know a few folks can combine and mark their fish with an X and split the catch, but how do they do it with 30 people on board? Also, can they process the fish on board...didn't think they could so F/G can count the limits???
    thx
    The wife and I did the trip last year with about 12 on board for a full day of fishing. They use colored (Tye Wraps) on the tail to tell the fish apart.( We were Orange)
    We had a great time. The boat limited with bigger fish. I caught a 80# and 100#. The wife got about a 60# and 80#.The fish were all fillet on board and finished by the time we got back. We were about 2 1/2 hours out.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Also, can they process the fish on board...didn't think they could so F/G can count the limits???

thx
    As long as the fillets aren't cut into pieces... *4 fillets per fish* then they can count the catch and the deckhands can fillet on the way back to port.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

If I were going on one of these over nighters, I would expect for the money to go out to at least the Barrens. Had some AMAZING trips out there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

they took us to the barrens last time i made the trip, we had 24 people on the boat, we all had a great time, no one was a problem, capt and deckhands had everything rolling smooth and fast, i can't imagine 36 people on one boat..thats nuts. but right now they've only got 12 booked and have cancelled other trips so far this year cause not enough people on them.
    I've done day halibut trips and tried for big ones for like an hour then upped and hit the chicken holes...i figure if i'm gonna bring home chickens i'll pay an extra 50 bucks and bring home 4 rather than two...where theres fish..theres big fish too.
    Master guide 212

thanks,,good story Bullelkklr,, that got me laughing purty dang hard...

I don't like overnighters myself, I just do 6 packs with my good buddies and we go with only 2 charter captains and we always catch nice fish.

well i got no good buddies that'll fork out the coin to catch halibut and i need more than 2 fish for my 300 plus bucks so i'm kinda stuck with the overnight stuff.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    well i got no good buddies that'll fork out the coin to catch halibut and i need more than 2 fish for my 300 plus bucks so i'm kinda stuck with the overnight stuff.
    I just did this trip w/ ACM on Sat/Sun. We went out to the Barren's and did pretty decent. Nobody got skunked. The Captain will be honest with you from the beginning. He is going for numbers and size is just an bonus so be realistic. We had about 30 people on board so lines were getting tangled quite frequently. On 3 of the fish I caught my line got tangled with somebody else's. Just let the deckhand know you have one on so they can untangle your line for you. If you don't, they may cut your line. Overall, I had a great time. I met some great folks, saw a bunch of whales, sipped a few beers and a lot of coffee, and caught some fish. The captain and crew did a great job for being spread so thin. If you want or need a lot of attention then I would suggest going on a smaller day charter.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    I just did this trip w/ ACM on Sat/Sun. We went out to the Barren's and did pretty decent. Nobody got skunked. The Captain will be honest with you from the beginning. He is going for numbers and size is just an bonus so be realistic. We had about 30 people on board so lines were getting tangled quite frequently. On 3 of the fish I caught my line got tangled with somebody else's. Just let the deckhand know you have one on so they can untangle your line for you. If you don't, they may cut your line. Overall, I had a great time. I met some great folks, saw a bunch of whales, sipped a few beers and a lot of coffee, and caught some fish. The captain and crew did a great job for being spread so thin. If you want or need a lot of attention then I would suggest going on a smaller day charter.

Ya, I'm not big on dealing with tangles everytime my line hits bottom. I'd rather pay the cash and go 6 pack and pray for some good weather. My days a'field are precious, so I'm not big on going way out for a few chickens like the overnighters.