Thread: Back at the Range....

Default Back at the Range....

....or home on the range this evening.

I shot a few rounds through my old chronograph, after a luckless event with the new chrony, I recalled my old one from way down south and tested it today. All was well.

The new caliber under test was my 376 Steyr based wildcat shooting 300 grain .411 bullets. I also shot a few 220 grain 41 mag revolver bullets and some Beartooth 250 grain LFNGC's. These were great with 44.0 grains of RL-7 giving 2105 fps. This load of course meant to be a "pot load" for gathering supper when afield. It could well be throttled down a bit preferring something in the 1600-1800 fps range.

The 300 grain Hornady bullets went to 2500 ish fps with 65 grains of H4895 and the 220 grain jacketed hit 2800 with 60.0 grains of RL-7.

RL-7 is a bit fast for best results and I plan to try 10X and some older RL-12 I have on hand, the latter more closely matched with the H4895 burn rate. There are many powders that will work fine and as I go up in bullet weight I'll try Varget and Benchmark. This gun will send 350 grains at 2350 fps. A brief test with some 330 Kodiaks exceeded 2400 fps. This puts it in the 375 H&H energy class and achieved with 8 to 10 grains less powder. It is a real bear gun and I hope my 350 A frame bullet will meet expectations for that purpose. About 2250 to 2300 fps would be great, I will expect exit wounds.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    ....or home on the range this evening.

I shot a few rounds through my old chronograph, after a luckless event with the new chrony, I recalled my old one from way down south and tested it today. All was well.

The new caliber under test was my 376 Steyr based wildcat shooting 300 grain .411 bullets. I also shot a few 220 grain 41 mag revolver bullets and some Beartooth 250 grain LFNGC's. These were great with 44.0 grains of RL-7 giving 2105 fps. This load of course meant to be a "pot load" for gathering supper when afield. It could well be throttled down a bit preferring something in the 1600-1800 fps range.

The 300 grain Hornady bullets went to 2500 ish fps with 65 grains of H4895 and the 220 grain jacketed hit 2800 with 60.0 grains of RL-7.

RL-7 is a bit fast for best results and I plan to try 10X and some older RL-12 I have on hand, the latter more closely matched with the H4895 burn rate. There are many powders that will work fine and as I go up in bullet weight I'll try Varget and Benchmark. This gun will send 350 grains at 2350 fps. A brief test with some 330 Kodiaks exceeded 2400 fps. This puts it in the 375 H&H energy class and achieved with 8 to 10 grains less powder. It is a real bear gun and I hope my 350 A frame bullet will meet expectations for that purpose. About 2250 to 2300 fps would be great, I will expect exit wounds.
    I just wonder what Retumbo would do in that ctg? I know what it's suppose to be for (overbore cap ctgs) I just have a nagging suspicion about about it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Question Hybrid powder....

Hey Murphy....

Have you tried any of the Hybrid 100 powder yet? I've been thinking of trying it with TSX 210's and 225's in my 330DAK. Any thoughts?

Default 10x

murph:
    Be exceedingly careful with the 10x in larger volume cases-- I tried it in a 9.3 X62.It was
    doing just fine up until a certain point--no pressure signs of any kind. Upon increasing a
    relatively mild load by 0.5 grain-all three of the major pressure indicators became quite evident upon firing. Not trying to denigrate the powder or anyones ability--but it seems to be at its best in smaller cases--I have not had any signs with 223 to 308 size cases. Yes, I did double and triple check my loading data and gear. Just thought to be forewarned is to be forearmed--Thanks-hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
    murph:
    Be exceedingly careful with the 10x in larger volume cases-- I tried it in a 9.3 X62.It was
    doing just fine up until a certain point--no pressure signs of any kind. Upon increasing a
    relatively mild load by 0.5 grain-all three of the major pressure indicators became quite evident upon firing. Not trying to denigrate the powder or anyones ability--but it seems to be at its best in smaller cases--I have not had any signs with 223 to 308 size cases. Yes, I did double and triple check my loading data and gear. Just thought to be forewarned is to be forearmed--Thanks-hope it works out for you.
    Thanks for the info. I haven't really used 10X before but have studied it for a while, looked over the many loads now given for it in various volume cases. I did a single shot test at my calculated load of 60.0 grains with the 300 grain bullet. I will admit it is extrapolated as are most of my 'never before tried' loads but I've got to start somewhere. It is a scientific guess, but it is a guess. I will proceed with caution. If it becomes unpredictable I'll drop it. There are a lot of powders available for me in this range. Your 9.3x62 is similar in capacity to the 376 case so we'll see how it goes. I'll post my results. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Murphy; 07-30-2008 at 16:22.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Well, I shot some Alliant 10X loads today....This case holds 65 grains of H4895 to the base of the neck. A 300 grain Hornady 405 Winchester bullet sits on the powder. I loaded 58, 59, 60, 61.0 grains of 10X powder with this same 300 grain flat point bullet. I got some of the most consistant velocities and lowest SD numbers I've ever got with this wildcat. This is an almost straight case of forty caliber with a case that holds about 65 grains, slower powders in the 4350 or RL-22 range will not give velocity any where near what I seek with this cartridge. I need to stay in the faster end of the medium burners to give me what the round is capable of.

Loads with Alliant 10X.
    58.0 grs 2459 fps SD 8 fps
    59.0 grs 2495 fps SD 12 fps
    60.0 grs 2528 fps SD 14 fps
    61.0 grs 2576 fps SD 10 fps
    I'm near the top here with 61.0 grains so I'll try 60.5 grains and 61.5 grains and see what turns up.

This is a very efficient 375 H&H energy level bear gun. 61.0 grains of powder get H&H velocity from a 300 grain bullet. Of course the sectional density is lower and penetration will likely be less but it is a forty caliber hole. I'm pretty pleased with this little thumper.

I just got word that my .400 Whelen finished up this week so I'm watching your load development with interest. Obviously, I've got a couple grains less to play with, but the powders will be similiar. I was planning on trying H4895 and BL(C)-2 has been suggested. If you come across a clear winner though, I'd like to know about.

Yk