Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 wsm for shiras moose

Default .270 wsm for shiras moose

So, I flat F***ED up and cracked the stock on my 375. That leaves me with either my 270 or new Tikka 270 WSM for my Shiras Moose hunt here in 6 weeks. I will be taking the tikka and probally 130 BTSX's for the hunt. At 3300 FPS they will pack enough wallop assuming I do my job and the bullet is diffently tough enough. I guess we will see how the new WSM does.

Entrance, exit, and wound cavity pictures would be nice to see; and a little report!

KRS

The 270 WSM should be able to handle the job fine. Ballistics are similar to the 7mm mag, just a smaller hole. The moose will die, the question is how quick and how far will he go? I would be looking for a quick follow up shot if possible.

So tell us how you broke the stock???

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    So, I flat F***ED up and cracked the stock on my 375. That leaves me with either my 270 or new Tikka 270 WSM for my Shiras Moose hunt here in 6 weeks. I will be taking the tikka and probally 130 BTSX's for the hunt. At 3300 FPS they will pack enough wallop assuming I do my job and the bullet is diffently tough enough. I guess we will see how the new WSM does.
    Never hunted them, but I've got a bud that's been shooting them for years whenever the draw gods lined up for him. His load of choice is a 270 Winchester with 150 grain parition. One shot each, but he's a fine marksman willing to pass up shots. I'd have confindence in your WSM. BTW- In my mind the "Shiras" in your hunt is worth emphasizing. The ones I've seen and helped butcher are a bunch smaller than the Yukon variety.

Well, the other shiras I killed went down to 1 shot at 65 yards from a 130 partition from my 270, so I am confident in its ability. It has been my opinion that a big elk is waaayyyy harder to kill than a moose.

So I was doing a scope change, getting ready to put my S&B back on and had my rifle on my work bench lying on a towel....well i was trying to reach for something in the shelves above my bench and some how managed to knock it off and onto the garage floor. Cracked the length of the grip.

I guess now I have an excuse for the wife to let me get a fancy blank of wood!!!

Ouch!!! Was it a synthetic?

If you're looking for wood, you might want to check these guys out if you haven't already heard of them...

http://www.accurateinnovations.com/

Some good looking stocks and they can do a lot with them including aliminum bedding blocks which they clain helps reduce felt recoil as well as being a stable platform.

I'm thinking about getting one for my m77 rebarrel.

I have shot 3 moose with a regular .270. I could not tell the difference between the .270, 7mm mag, 30-06 or 300. mag in terms of how the animal reacted. They all walked a little way, fell and passed away quickly or were dispatched with one behind the ear. Point is, the .270 is absolutely adequate with good bullets. If up close shots are expected, I would choose a bigger bullet travelling at less than 3300 fps

Good luck.

Forgot to mention that my dad and my brother both killed their Idaho Moose with a 270 Winchester (handloads).

So a client of mine gave me 2 boxes of Fed Prem. 140 Accubonds for my WSM today. They chronographed at 3200-3215 FPS and shot 1/2 MOA!!!!! I was even able to produce a 1" group at a lazered 280 yards.

I'm not thinking of using these instead of the 130 TTSX'S...What do you guys think?

I wouldn't hesitate. It's a good bullet. Because the TTSX is also good, doesn't mean the Accubonds are bad. In fact, I'd prefer the performance of the Accubond at long range.

I messed up...I AM thinking of using the Accubonds!!!

OK. Now that that 270 and moose thing is sorted out, tell us how in the heck you broke the stock on the 375!?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

So I was doing a scope change, getting ready to put my S&B back on and had my rifle on my work bench lying on a towel....well i was trying to reach for something in the shelves above my bench and some how managed to knock it off and onto the garage floor. Cracked the length of the grip.

The good that came from that is I sent it off to American Hunting Rifles to put a fancy piece of wood on it...Below is stock style and figure that I picked...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    OK. Now that that 270 and moose thing is sorted out, tell us how in the heck you broke the stock on the 375!?
    Murphy, see posts 3 & 5

So a client of mine gave me 2 boxes of Fed Prem. 140 Accubonds for my WSM today. They chronographed at 3200-3215 FPS and shot 1/2 MOA!!!!! I was even able to produce a 1" group at a lazered 280 yards.

I'm not thinking of using these instead of the 130 TTSX'S...What do you guys think?
    Pros and Cons. The TTSX's hold together better than the Accubonds. Sometihing like 99% vs 60% or so weight retention. The Accubonds have a better BC and will *likely* copper foul less. Kind of a toss up to me.

Option 3... E-Tips... Better BC, constructed similar to the TSX's but a little tougher, 99% weight retention. They are a little tougher than the TSX's because of there alloy composition... but... they open up a little wider and therefore have a little less penetration. Probably not a factor at short ranges but making an exit at longer ranges is questionable. The upside, more energy is transfered to the animal. Also, they are a new an unproven bullet,but I'm gonna give them a try.

The good that came from that is I sent it off to American Hunting Rifles to put a fancy piece of wood on it...Below is stock style and figure that I picked...
    Beautiful stock... are you really gonna take that out hunting and risk scratching it? And I'm sure you're accident was really an accicent

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Murphy, see posts 3 & 5

Oops! I guess I should read more, huh?

Wow, that's a bummer. Why not just get that Empire Mauser?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I got in a hurry and didn't want the 13 month lead time they told me....Trust me, I hand a dandy designed through them!

MontanaRifleman, who makes the E Tips?

Nosler makes them...This is part of there effort for lead free legislation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast