Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else gearing up?

Default Anyone else gearing up?

WOW! I'm feeling a little obsessive here so SOMEONE please tell me I'm not alone.
    Fly out over 130 miles into the Brooks this early September and got a good pile of gear started in my shop.Got the sat. phone reserved,new scope dialed in and a "laundry list" of to-do's I go over daily. Leave for the slope on Friday and only have one more R&R to get everything ready to go as I'll get off the plane coming home in Sept. and get right in the truck for a long drive up north.
    This will be me and my partners first fly out hunt and dont want to tell the wife but I think this is gonna spoil the way I've always done it in the past(4 wheelers,boats and lotsa other hunters). I see more fly outs in my future.(hope I didnt just jinx my hunt)

C'mon September!

Default right there with ya

oh yea... nightly review of lists.... pack, repack, weigh it all. change packing combinations.... weigh again.. etc... etc...

Yea Sept....

Greg

I'm gear obsessed, I've spent $2,500 on gear alone (What, I needed that $19 emergency blanket and a new water filter... WHAT?!)

SE Island wilderness bear and wolf hunt for me.... in less than 60 days!

Time to repack everything... again!

right there with ya
    oh yea... nightly review of lists.... pack, repack, weigh it all. change packing combinations.... weigh again.. etc... etc...

Yea Sept....

Greg
    What he said

Default Gears Piling up in the Garage

Moved everything around in the garage and started to pile it up in the middle; add to it as I find everything hunt related I tossed around this winter looking for other stuff not hunting related. Just about found everything but my cloths pretty sure those are in the closet will check those off the list later.

Counting down the days.....
    Haul rd here I come
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Yes.
    Excited is an understatement!
    Today during the brief 30 minutes I had from taking my son over to his guitar lesson this after, I drove immediately over to Beaver Sports with my other son to look briefly at stuff.
    It's a good thing that I am not one of those immediate purchase kind of people. I have a good idea of what I want before... August 7th.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    I'm gear obsessed, I've spent $2,500 on gear alone (What, I needed that $19 emergency blanket and a new water filter... WHAT?!)

SE Island wilderness bear and wolf hunt for me.... in less than 60 days!

Time to repack everything... again!
    Only 2500... Your doing better than me, hmmm
    Kenetrek Mountain 400's $275
    New rifle 800
    Pack 500
    Pants 105
    Jacket 195
    poles 110
    under wear 50
    Spotte r 750
    Bino's 500
    Socks 100
    Hilliberg tent 725
    Sleeing bag 160
    Big Agnes tent 130

That is $4400! and it doesn't cover numerous small purchases... It also only shows one item that I bought for my wife and that is the Hilleberg tent we are taking on our scouting trips. She got a pack, boots, poles, a rifle ..... Man no wonder i am broke. I hope I can scrape some cash together for taxidermy if I am blessed enough to actually connect...
    The list could go on an on and on and on but i am getting a little sick to my stomach

Default LuJon

What kind of underwear did you get? I am heading for sheep the end of August in the AK range... looking for suggestions.

thanks
    TED

500 dollars at Cabela's later I think I have all the gear I need or want now. The logistics of our planned float trip were turning into a nightmare so we downscaled to doing just a drop off. Means I got more money to spend at Cabela's now?

Thumbs up good and ready

The tent is set up in my garage ready to be seal sealed, frame pack is next to it with my boots getting a fresh coat of mink oil. This is the time of year we live for.

Quote Originally Posted by tedsizemore View Post
    What kind of underwear did you get? I am heading for sheep the end of August in the AK range... looking for suggestions.

thanks
    TED
    Kind of personal question but in the interest of sheep hunting I will spill it I picked up the Ex-oficio boxers. They dry very fast and wick moisture very well. 1 pair ($25 each) is getting little bit of pilling along the backside which is a dissapointment, though it doesn't seem to affect the performance much. I have 2 pairs for my sheep hunt and will wash one in a creek and wrhing it out before hanging it in my tent. I have no doubt that you could wash a pair wring them out and put them on under a great pant like the Sitka Mountains pant and be dry in under an hour.

Default CMON September!!!

Yea man, I'm right with all you guys and gals, think about it every day! Flyout moose hunt with 40 Mile Air, fly in on Sept 7 and out on the 18th.

Good thing I have most of my gear already, 'cause here's my cost breakdown so far (budgeting for meat haul out of camp before end of hunt in case I get one):

Flights from Maryland 880
    Bush plane flights 1600
    Nonres combo license 230
    Moose tag 400
    Black bear tag 225
    Moose meat haul 800
    2 nights Tok lodging 200
    4 meals in Tok 120
    Rental car 750
    Gas 100
    Meat processing 500

OOPS - I did buy one piece of gear, a packraft with splash cover and carbon fiber paddle, total cost of all components about 1,000.

A couple of the items (meals, lodging, meat processing) are estimates, but that's already plenty of zeros! That's OK, you only live once, and I'm fresh out of moose meat.

Good luck to all of you, hope you're having as hard a time sleeping as I am!

Default Expenses, frugal me...

I too have been aquiring gear. I have been frugal too. There are some great deals if you know where to look.

Two yrs ago I made my "major" purchase of the year, a Kimber .325 WSM w/Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 on Talley rings/base. $2,100.00

I also opted to buy a cheap freighter frame, but added a used Barney's pack to it. It has worked for two seasons as I press into my third for use.

This year, I needed more to add to my aersonal:

As with many mountaineering adventures, it is my opinion that the industry is catered towards the hiking/backpacking crowd (Mountain Hardware, North Face, Mamut, REI, Ect). There are limmited companies that deliver to the extent from a sheep hunter's pespective. I tried River's West gear last year~ hated it! Although I did stay dry, the fleece absorbs a lot of moisture ultimately stripping away needed body heat. When wet, it also reduces the ability to ventilate properly. So, this year I am looking into Sitka gear. I like the 90% Jacket, but still can't bear to purchase... too darned expensive! I may succumb to a buy before the hunt, but for now, my rainwear is a Marmot Precip for the light stuff with HH Impertechs for the torrential dour pours. $125.00

Footwear~ Scarpa Liskamm GTX $345.00 OUCH!
    (But they feel like Grandpa's old Cadillac, very comfy and supportive!)

Tent~ past two yrs, had a bivy to be a minimalist, a wet/cold minimalist I might add. Upon suggestion of a friend, I went to Freddy's to buy one of theirs. I added two coats of brush on water repellency to the fly for good measure. Rained two days straight with no leaks. Guidewires seems to suffice, but really need a good breeze to ensure worthiness on the slopes. Got my fingers crossed here.

Underwear~ I do have some Under Armor, although I have purchased some vapor wicking long underwear from Wal-Mart. They seem to work as well at a fraction of the cost.

Socks~ Wigwam light hikers w/poly liners

Stove~ I seem to like my cheap lil Coleman Peak One gas/butane. No mess, no liquid fuel, just compact canisters. Add a campact titanium pot, works well for my application (until I buy a Jet Boil)

Water purification~ a definate must have, water's too darn heavy to pack around in sizeable quantities.

Sleeping Bag~ I have a Wiggy's bag. I am not too impressed. I think I will use my North Face Cat's Meow, it's lighter and warmer to me.

Trekking poles are a must for me, saved me a few times from some bad falls.

Still have a few more odd-n-ends to slap together, but close enough to want to leave now!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default Forgot to mention...

Pants~ Like I mentioned in my earlier post, The River's West did not perform like I wished, considering Sitka gear (pricey). I bought two pairs of Mamut Champ pants through www.sierratradingpost.com at a fraction of the cost. Don't overlook these discount shops, Sierra trading Post, Campmor, Moose Jaw, Bob Wards, EMS, Haglofs, ect. You can save big time over convential retail fees and get the brand name gear you want.

Optics~ Vortex 20x60x80 ED $600.00 Spotter and Swarovski SLCs (last years B-day gift, love my wife!)

That's it, I think?
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Kind of personal question but in the interest of sheep hunting I will spill it I picked up the Ex-oficio boxers. They dry very fast and wick moisture very well. 1 pair ($25 each) is getting little bit of pilling along the backside which is a dissapointment, though it doesn't seem to affect the performance much. I have 2 pairs for my sheep hunt and will wash one in a creek and wrhing it out before hanging it in my tent. I have no doubt that you could wash a pair wring them out and put them on under a great pant like the Sitka Mountains pant and be dry in under an hour.
    Thanks for the help. Time to start looking for some prices!!!! My trip is getting pretty costly as well... Just think I have a wife that hunts also!! Double the cost!
    OUCH

Default Dude that is not a shortcoming.

Heck, buy really good gear for her.

Use the crappy old stuff for yourself. When you get blisters, and have logistic problems during scouting missions it will give you carte blanche to buy the good stuff. Time is wasting so you better get her out there.

Expensive year for me as well.

Weatherby Mark V 300 Deluxe(used but sweet)- 650 dollars.
    Kahles KX3-10X50 4D -650 dollars
    Zeiss Diascope 85 FL(demo)+ cover- Cameraland-1500 dollars
    Manfrotto 728 Tripod-130.00
    Buschnell Elites -519.00 They didn't give me rebate and Im still ticked.
    Leica 900 CRF- Rangefinder-499.00

Now if I didn't bargain hunt that would be a real ugly list.

Good Luck,
    All
    Thomas

Feeling somewhat normal again. You guys sound obsessed........

I'm pretty well set gearwise. This year's major purchases were a LH Tikka T3 Lite and Leupold FX-II 4x33 scope.

In all I only went $100 over on my Bush Bux check and a box of hard-to-find-in Aleutian Hell .17 HMR ammo got me a sling for it.

My trip out of here to get to productive meese grounds also coincides with a business trip, so my airfare is already paid for.

I think I'm also going to get a set of Under Armor or something similar.
    Now what ?

Expensive year as well...

Custom 375 H&H - 3000.00
    Schmidt Bender Scope - 1600.00
    Swarovksi SLC - 1400.00
    Burris Landmark spotter - 200.00
    Frame Pack - 125.00
    Nikon 800 rf - 350.00
    Reloading Equiptment - 500.00

Wife also got a...
    Tikka T3 - 550
    3-9x Ziess - 400.00