Thread: 454 puma

Default 454 puma

My son just ordered a puma model 92 in 454 casull, has anyone here used this gun/caliber?? he will be using it for horse wrangling/guiding this fall.

I have it in the 480 which I picked up last fall and it's a nice little rifle. Have not taken anything yet, but hope to take if black bear hunting this fall. I would think the 454 would also be a nice rifle.

Seems like a question most people would ask prior to ordering one

I don't have anything useful to add.... I've never shot one.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    My son just ordered a puma model 92 in 454 casull, has anyone here used this gun/caliber?? he will be using it for horse wrangling/guiding this fall.
    Yes I do have one, it has become my new keep in the truck rifle. I was thinking of making it into a .460 S&W chamber. Trouble with the rifle is the lack of sights for the 92 clone. Treated like it was made to be and the kind of purpose it's built for, I like it. I was thinking of cutting the barrel and mag tube down to 16 and 1/4", just to make it a little more "Handy".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Big Al

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Trouble with the rifle is the lack of sights for the 92 clone. Treated like it was made to be and the kind of purpose it's built for, I like it. I was thinking of cutting the barrel and mag tube down to 16 and 1/4", just to make it a little more "Handy".
    Contact this guy he may be talked into making you some sights for your PUMA. http://www.skinnersights.com/ It sounds like he will do some custom work on occasion.

Jake

What I had in mind was the same style of peep sight that was of the rapid lever type on other rifles like the 1886/71 and the 95's. This would be slick addition to any model 92 clone I give this guy a call and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the link..
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I own one of these guns. I have been shooting it going on two years, and I have had some problems with the gun. In fact I wrote an article on the gun, but have had trouble getting it published due to the articles length, and review of the gun. Mine now shoots fine, and after about 300 rounds through it since the last problem it is one of my favorite guns. I have talked to many Puma owners, and it is hit or miss on what you get. The big problem is the wood they put on them. www.Stevesgunz.com is a place to check out. You can order one that has had the bugs taken out of it.

Since my post, I have learned a lot about this rifle and found a few more sources for the PUMA rifle after market items. I have been in contact with Steve. I found that the rear peep available from another source has a ghost ring rear peep sight that needs to be drilled and tapped 6x48, looks exceptional http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html. And from a fellow that does a lot of Marlin stuff what he calls his Generation III front sight and ramp. http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp It has dog ears to protect the front sight. From Steve you have his DVD for slicking up the action and Steve has available a steel magazine follower and better main hammer spring. Lots of things that can be done to the PUMA 92 to make it a vary reliable rifle and smoother functioning rifle. I have been toying with the idea of a re bore to the .480 Ruger

The part number for the rear sight from Ashley is 22-203A-000-4 available for 60.00 and that includes shipping.

The magazine follower for the larger ctgs such as the .45 Colt/.454 is 35.00 bucks from Steve as he has to make them up one at a time, they are not a stock item like his smaller ones.

Thanks to all the folks that have responded to this thread and other threads it has made my search much easier.