Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunt Food List

Default Sheep Hunt Food List

Im sure this has been brought up before.. I was wondering what everyone brings for breakfast, snacks, dinner etc... on their 10 day sheep hunts. Im looking at trying a new variety of foods.

ITS ALMOST HERE---SHEEP SEASON!!!!

Granola for Breakfast

Gorup or trail mix plus Jerky for lunch.

A dehydrate for dinner with something that has peanut butter on it for desert.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Follow up question, given the oatmeal/trailmix/mountainhouse type of regime, what is the pounds of food per day ratio? 1.5 to 2 pounds a day about right?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Follow up question, given the oatmeal/trailmix/mountainhouse type of regime, what is the pounds of food per day ratio? 1.5 to 2 pounds a day about right?
    For the mountian house I'll use the double meals. I use a sandwitch bag of the trail mix/Granola for each meal I plan for the trip. That way I don't have to ration a big quantity. If I can't finish I save the unused portion for a time when I'm hungry. If I know I'm going out earlier than planned I'll splurge and eat a mountian house for lunch or breakfast. Keep in mind with this regime you will lose a pound a day.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Instant oatmeal and dried fruit for breakfast.
    Gorp.. nut/chocolat/raisin mix, rice cracker mix for snacks.
    Dried salami and cheese for lunch.
    Lipton noodles and sauce for dinner and hopefuly a ptarmigan or two along the way. Some jerky.
    Licorice for a quick boost when needed and likely some clif bars thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    Instant oatmeal and dried fruit for breakfast.
    Gorp.. nut/chocolat/raisin mix, rice cracker mix for snacks.
    Dried salami and cheese for lunch.
    Lipton noodles and sauce for dinner and hopefuly a ptarmigan or two along the way. Some jerky.
    Licorice for a quick boost when needed and likely some clif bars thrown in.
    I almost forgot cliff bars.
    Unknown author

Default grub

Salmon Strips
    Pilot Bread
    Peanut Butter
    MH in Tin
    Extreme Energy Bars by MLO(Freaking great from Wallys)
    Metrx Cookie Bars
    Metrx energy meal replacement drink
    Body Fortress Fruit Punch with Creatine(cheaper than gatorade)
    World Classics Jerky(1lb)
    SW pepperoni links(1lb)
    Instant Oatmeal(all mixed in oatmeal bag)
    Cous Cous(2 lbs) with spicy thai Knorr instant noodles mixed in.
    Ramein Noodles( not much but its warm
    Coffee( I like it cowboy style)

13 lbs good for 10 days.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default taters

i usually add an extra cup of water to my mountian house and then dump in a package of instant patatos. Makes for a great meal for you and your sheep hunting partner.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    i usually add an extra cup of water to my mountian house and then dump in a package of instant patatos. Makes for a great meal for you and your sheep hunting partner.
    That's a great idea if I keep reading this thread maybe I won't loss so much weight.
    Unknown author

I try to carry a small jar of peanut butter (cruchy) for a easy spoonful of the ooooy goooy, just remember to lick the spoon clean.

Mountain House is a staple! Great entrees with minimal weight

GORP (good old rainsins& peanuts) I actually take a can of salted nuts (add mixed if you like), add raisins, dried canberries, & M&Ms. I too make individual servings in ziplocks, grab and go.

Breakfasts/snacks- Cliff bars, homemade moose/bou jerky. I do not care for oatmeal, so I use grits. Takes a tad longer to prepare, but I enjoy it.

Trying a new hydration supplement from Herbalife, comes in small indivdual containers, and taste fairly well.

Lastly, I always carry 4 tablespoons of butter with a 1/2 cup of dried onions. You never know if you'll have some tasty tenderloins!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default chow

breakfast - oatmeal, mtn hse breakfast, granola and blueberries (I rotate them)
    snack - clif bar
    lunch - jerky or PB jelly bagels and ramen noodles
    dinner - mtn house
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

breakfast-clif bar
    snack-clif bar/ trail mix
    lunch-cous cous or ramen
    dinner-mnt house

I spent way too much time worrying about this the first time. Now it is automatic
    Breakfast:
    Oatmeal (hot) or Great Harvest granola with a shot of powdered milk (either one vacuums sealed to add water straight to the package)
    Instant coffee premeasured into small zip lock (nutritionally worthless, good for morale)

Lunch:
    Pre-made lunch bags to eat on the go. Each bag has 1-2 cliff bars, about 5 pieces hard candy and a small portion cashews and a small portion of jerky. Gatorade powder or similar

Dinner
    2 person Mountain house with 1 package chili Ramen crumbed into the bad the filled with hot water.
    I stash a small portion for spices for the tenderloin broil!
    1.5 lbs food per person per day, requires 1 oz isobutane gas total to heat two 24oz pots of water per person per day. I count on 14 boils per canister with some left over.

Breakfast is two pouches of instant oatmeal repackaged with dried fruit. Strawberries are my favorite. Also the coffee teabag things b/c I like them a whole lot more than instant coffee.

Lunch is some combination of jerky, gorp, cliff bars, and some other bar that I can't remember the name of. It is basically mixed nuts stuck together with a butter and sugar mixture. I always think about making my own, but never do.

Dinner is a two person mountian house split w/ my partner, a package of ramen, some jerky, and a candy-like "energy" bar for desert.

Snacks are gorp, jerky, and always some chocolate bars for when you just need to make that next ridge. I also carry some hot chocolate mix for those nights when it is cold/wet/windy/exhausted/etc and you just need to sit in your bag and sip some hot chocolate. After my first one, I also learned that a tiny thing of salt and some seasoning takes your sheep-on-a-stick from great meat to a truly life-changing experience.

how do you guys repackage the oatmeal? I've seen a couple references to this.

Been wondering about the best way to pack my gear, just bought the barneys pinnacle. I find myself somewhat confused by all the compartments, not really confused but wondering about what the best place is for each of my items.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhead View Post
    After my first one, I also learned that a tiny thing of salt and some seasoning takes your sheep-on-a-stick from great meat to a truly life-changing experience.
    Thats the best sounding thing on anyones list.
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    how do you guys repackage the oatmeal? I've seen a couple references to this.

Been wondering about the best way to pack my gear, just bought the barneys pinnacle. I find myself somewhat confused by all the compartments, not really confused but wondering about what the best place is for each of my items.
    Just set all your gear out and pack it then unpack it then repack. Keep repeating till it all fits. Now go do an overnight and realize how poorly you packed according to what you actually used. When you get back take your new information and repeat step one. I use a scale and the diagram in "Sheep Hunting Alaska" as a guidline to get the weight balanced right as well. the obvious ones for me was the stove in the top right side pocket and the spotter & tripod in the top left l. Put all my quickaccess items like a poly jacket, some snacks, maps, purifier etc in the top pocket that is on the main flap. I carry water in a camel back threaded into the main compartment compression straps though I am looking for a better (read lighter) meathod. I put my camera and spare batteries in one of the smaller pockets on the lower right side. Majority of my food and junk gets piled int the cave that is the inside of that monster pack!

Default Food...

Below is a list of what we take on float trips in NW Alaska. Some of it may give you some ideas though. From a recent post...

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Spaghetti, Chili Mac, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. I just placed a big order myself for an upcoming NW Alaska float in Sept. They ship fast. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon (arctic char). We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two person may be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mouse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

To repackage the oatmeal, I take two of the instant packs and empty them in a vacuum sealer bag with a small handful (probably 1/2 cup) of dried fruit. It is easier than trying to find two of the same flavor in your pack and then carrying another container for the fruit. Also, it is only on bag to carry out instead of three. Ziplock bags work fine too, but the vacuum bags are more durable, and easier to eat out of - just cut off the top and add water.

Default Most People Pack too much food

If you're running low, hunt harder,

I think 1.5 lbs poer day is about right.

I bring the little mixers for water EmergenC is great to ward off evening leg cramps

Oat meal with blue berrys picked the night before, and a protein bar at breakfast with a Coffee single is a greatway to start the day and can be prepared under the vestabule in the rain (Me forcast for this season)

Latest read on extreme hunting suggested a few Power lunches at the beginning of your hunt, peanut butter & Bacon sandwiches, I make with peta bread 2 a day for 2 days is lots of energy for those hard days going in. Then trail mix and bars for lunches on the go, with a couple hot soups for lunches.

Yeah MT house dinners, try bringing extra noodles, powdered potatoes, and grated parmessain cheese to add some cals to the dinners. 10lb of this stuff should last you 10 days.

I pack meals my type dinner and breakfast each have a sack, lunches go daily in side pockets of pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast