Thread: campground suggestions?

Default campground suggestions?

If YOU were to pick any campground (driving distance from anchorage) that would give you good access to Silvers or Reds right now, where would you go?

This is my final camping trip here in AK for 08 .

If you've got a really good suggestion, prepared to be PM'd by me!

thanks in advance guys. I feel like Im moving away from home.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Montana Creek I think.

I read a fishing report on AOJ that said the fish are there. Pinks, Chums and silvers. Plus you can soak eggs (*I think read the regs yourself to be sure just like I would if I was going to do it). It's also close to 3 other rivers that are producing. (sheep, willow, little su). With all three species.

Failing that...........I know I'm going to fish the russian again friday. I know you already fished that though.

Or if you only wanted Pinks............then Hope hands down.

Nice private campground there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Montana Creek I think.

I read a fishing report on AOJ that said the fish are there. Pinks, Chums and silvers. Plus you can soak eggs (*I think read the regs yourself to be sure just like I would if I was going to do it). It's also close to 3 other rivers that are producing. (sheep, willow, little su). With all three species.

Failing that...........I know I'm going to fish the russian again friday. I know you already fished that though.

Or if you only wanted Pinks............then Hope hands down.

Nice private campground there too.
    Nice. Might be the place to be.
    Whats the name of the montana creek campground? Can I reserve through reserveamerica.com??

its called Montana Creek Campground...
    actually there are 3 campgrounds there, Montana Creek Campground, right across the street is a state campground (parking lot) and on the other side of the river is a privately owned campground, personally i like the third one, more room, creekside, more private.

I think they are talking about the state camp ground. I don't know if you can reserve those, but you probably won't need to. I have never noticed a problem with those camp grounds this time of year.

Well, I just called montana creek campground.

They said they had lots of space and so did the state park.

I'll check them all out including the one on the other side of the creek.

As long as there are fish there, Ill be happy.

What do you use there? Do people flip or do you cast vibrax etc?

(for slivers)

You can throw pixies or vibrax.

If bait is allowed I'd use a slider rig for the sinker, tied to a swivel, then a 2 foot section of line with 2 small corkies and to a hook with an egg loop.

Or do the above and use yarn instead of eggs.

On Montana you can fish the creek right next to hwy, or walk away from campground towards the susitna, about 1/4 mile. The confluence there is easy to find, there are some cut banks that you can fish from. Or an island at the confluence. I fished Kings there and did well. I've never fished it for silvers but am going to as I liked that spot.

Good luck most are full near the russian. We Camped off Snug Harbor Rd. Good spot on the right. A bit open but is good to go and its free!

Default >>>------->

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Nice. Might be the place to be.
    Whats the name of the montana creek campground? Can I reserve through reserveamerica.com??
    The private campground at Montana Creek is called Cheta Campground.I know the native family who own the land and they keep it real nice.Great stream access.
    Good luck and good fishing.

Exclamation

Be careful at the state campground. There's a thief who makes his rounds at 3AM every month or so and removes any valuable fishing equipment left lying on the tables by campers. There's a warning sign at the entrance and also one at the campground on the other side of the highway.

I had my flyrods lifted one night and my neighbor had his birthday present stolen also. Perhaps they've caught the guy by now. Either way, I would store all my rods with the tents away from the parking area just to be cautious. He makes a quick pass through the lot without a great deal of searching apparently as only campers who left their rods visible were hit.

Angry SERIOUS question

Could DLP apply to someone stealing your fishing gear. Afterall it is my PROPERTY and I am using it (indirectly) to feed myseld/family???? hmmmmmmm???