Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose with a shotgun

Question Moose with a shotgun

Anyone ever hunt moose with a shotgun? If so, curious to know how you did, what you used (type gun and ammo). Seems like most of my opportunities are close in and it would be easier to use in the brush.

thx

I shot a 45" bull, (legally) with a Remington 870 with foster slugs. Shot it twice through the lungs although the first was probably sufficient. Range was about 25 yards. IF I would do it again, I'd probably opt for sobated slugs for better penetration as I don't think either foster exited.

FishnMan,
    I live in IL and we hunt deer with slug guns and muzzloaders. I agree that the sabot's will probably do a better job of penetration, however they should be shot through a rifled slug barrel or they will not pattern very well. I have been on several black bear hunts in Canada and many hunters used shotguns with conventional slugs - sadly they seemed to loose many more bears than the gun or bow hunters. I think partially due to lack of exit hole to produce a decent blood trail.
    I bought a Marlin lever 45/70 in the new LeverEvolution last year and shot a nice bear with the Honady 325 grain loads - very pleasant yet packs a whollop - I would think this would make a great close range moose load and definetly a griz bear stopper as well....
    Smokey

Default foster slug warning

I definitely would NOT use foster slugs on a moose. I shot a whitetail (approx 125 lbs) through the lungs broadside with a 12 ga shooting Winchester foster slugs and it never exited. If I recall correctly, it didn't even enter the opposite side of the chest cavity. It must have stayed in the lungs. The deer ran 200 yards or so before it died. This leads me to believe that penetration is seriously lacking for something the size of a moose. I agree with the others. If you're going to use the shotgun, use the sabots in a rifled barrel. There are some really good designs out there now that should provide good penetration.

Brenekke slugs should do fine. Or try Dixie slugs. Dixieslugs.com
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Take a look at the Brenekke black magic 3" magnums, the ballistics are impressive. I'd recommend puttion on a scope or rifle sights instead of using the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Brenekke slugs should do fine. Or try Dixie slugs. Dixieslugs.com
    I had a Brenneke blow through both shoulders of a brown bear on a DLP kill. He stretched out and DRT.

I don't mind crawling through the alder bushes loaded up with Brennekes.

Just make sure you get the Original 1 1/8 oz load.
    Now what ?

Thumbs up

I think Brennekes will kill about anything that walks or crawls.
    Moose will not be a problem.

Default browning slug gun

I really like the Browning 12gauge pump slug gun with rifled barrel. Berenneke and Lightfields shoot great through it. Both type of slugs should do the job and the Browning slug gun is really accurate. I have shot a few different models of slug guns and that one really seems like a good one.

Default rifled choke tubes?

Anyone ever use rifled choke tubes? What's the accuracy like with sabot slugs?

I use buckhammer 1 3/8 oz slugs in a fully rifled barrel and it shoots very well (except for the recoil). I've turned a few deer inside out with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    FishnMan,
    I live in IL and we hunt deer with slug guns and muzzloaders. I agree that the sabot's will probably do a better job of penetration, however they should be shot through a rifled slug barrel or they will not pattern very well. I have been on several black bear hunts in Canada and many hunters used shotguns with conventional slugs - sadly they seemed to loose many more bears than the gun or bow hunters. I think partially due to lack of exit hole to produce a decent blood trail.
    I bought a Marlin lever 45/70 in the new LeverEvolution last year and shot a nice bear with the Honady 325 grain loads - very pleasant yet packs a whollop - I would think this would make a great close range moose load and definetly a griz bear stopper as well....
    Smokey

I kind of have to agree with Smokey. Used to kill alot of deer with slugs in Pike County after moving from Ford County. Shot a 9 pointer that dressed out at 209 with a Mossberg 500 and Brenneke slugs. It literally looked like that deer had been hit by a semi! Obviously, your range is reduced a bunch when compared to a rifle.
    EricL

My question would be, why the heck would you even want to hunt a moose with a shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    My question would be, why the heck would you even want to hunt a moose with a shotgun?

my guess would be for the challenge. Same reason people hunt with a bow or a pistol. It sure isn't for me though, I know if I brought a shotgun, I would see a 65" bull 250 yards away and no way to get any closer.

hosse35, I'm with you. To go hunting for something that big and try a "50 yard" shot is just beyound my scope of thought. All the posts about bears and all that is that they use the slugs and or double ought buck at a range of about 10 yards or less, if there lucky.

Default slugs

Set up my 870 for slug hunting in Iowa. Got a Hastings barrel from Cabelas. Remington Copper Solids. Loved it. Great up to 125 yards. More accurate then I am. For moose I would try slugs. For bear??? I have yet to shoot a bear and I think I will stick to my 300WM but people take bear with a pistol and BP. So with good shot placement and proper range why not. Just another challenge. IMO.

Default Rifled

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    FishnMan,
    Smokey
    I took my moose 2 years ago with the Marlin and LeverRevolution bullets. 1 Shot and it was done. Funny thing was, the bullet turned the lungs to pudding and stopped on the hide on the far side. When I skinned it I found a lead bullet in the hump by it's backstraps. No clue how long it had been there. I would definitely use a rifled barrel if you're going to shoot slugs.

Fuse

I've shot Hornady sst's out of my 870 and now from my Ithica Deerslayer Storm, both guns liked these slugs. Zeroed at 150 yds. 6 inches low at two hundred. Had massive damage to the last 7 whitetails I've killed, all dropped within 10 feet or less.
    Paul

The hornadys all exited the opposite side also.
    Paul

Default Just 4 words....

Rifled barrel, Dixie Slugs!!!
    (any other slug is just a joke!)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    because unit 14 has shot gun only areas in it now as the valley and surrounding areas grow
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast