Thread: Halibut jigs and spoons

Default Halibut jigs and spoons

Has anyone ever tried the Lure Jenson 7 oz Krocodile or a Captain Hay's Big Jig for Halibut?

SuperKroc's rock on Halibut. If you can keep 'em on the bottom, I don't know of a better jig. At one time they make one with two 7 oz pieces "spooned" together. Not quite the same action as a single.

I like the 3 oz Kroc for jigging up rockfish in less than 150 feet.

I haven't tried either of those, but I would recommend some of the Halibut Spinnows and/or the Luhr Jensen Crippled Herring. Fish go bonzo over those.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

That's for sure, Crippled Herrings work very well. Fish really hit them like they mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I haven't tried either of those, but I would recommend some of the Halibut Spinnows and/or the Luhr Jensen Crippled Herring. Fish go bonzo over those.

the big Jigs with lead head (8+ oz )work good but I sure seem to loose a lot of hooked fish even with a tight line. Do you have better luck with the jigs mentioned above?

I find most of the leadheads have fairly dull hooks, a few passes with a file makes them sticky sharp. I also know a guide who has been using assist hooks on his lead heads and he says they've greatly improved his hook ups. And sometimes halibut just bite the jig and you are reeling up a fish that isn't hooked.

I keep a variety of jigs on the boat, lead heads with grup tails, hoochies, scampi tails, crippled herring, point wilson darts, butterfly jigs, diamond jigs, and I'm sure a few I'm forgetting.

[quote=Paul H;309044]And sometimes halibut just bite the jig and you are reeling up a fish that isn't hooked.quote]

That is very typical with Lingcod, I'm not so sure about Halibut. If you use a leadhead, use the lightest lead you can, otherwise you'll get a short strike.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I find most of the leadheads have fairly dull hooks, a few passes with a file makes them sticky sharp. I also know a guide who has been using assist hooks on his lead heads

what are the regulation in PWS on the number of hooks you're allowed to have on a lure/jig? And what about teasers like large flies on a short tether coming off the main hook? Is that legal or not?

As far as I know for salt water it's two hooks.

Sometimes I run an 18" leader with a teaser hook and a small grub, sometimes I run two hooks on the jig. I was using this butterfly style jig with the hook on the bottom and assist hook last week and found it very effective.

I didn't care for the way the dacron line I put the assist hook on wrapped up, so I've changed it for 300# mono.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    As far as I know for salt water it's two hooks.

Sometimes I run an 18" leader with a teaser hook and a small grub, sometimes I run two hooks on the jig. I was using this butterfly style jig with the hook on the bottom and assist hook last week and found it very effective.

2 is what i was thinking from what i've seen with people using the japanese style jigs. (both hooks coming off the top ring). I didn't know for sure because i thought maybe the 2nd lure would be a different case, but then there are the 2 hook baited rigs which is essentially 2 lures. And then you throw in the sabiki rigs which are also legal and they have a whole string of hooks on them. so i don't know exactly where the division is. going by the sabiki rig, i would say it must also be legal to run an umbrella rig behind a single trolling rod?

As far as I know the sabaki rigs are only legal for herring, and I believe the limit is 15 unbaited hooks.

Default kroc's

I agree the krocodiles work great if you can keep em on the bottom.

Thumbs up Hands Down!

I think I have fished with every lure in B&Js and hands down the 9.5oz Spinnow is the best I have ever used. Buzz bombs are awesome but wont hold deep bottom in a current. I have not caught a single fish on a crocodile. I only carry 2 types of lures now. One is the 9.5oz spinnow ($12.95) in different colors and the other is a cheap chrome lure ($5.00) which I give a person if they lose a spinnow. They will hold bottom better than most lures will and get there fast. We regularly fish them to 350 ft in a slight current and they will keep bouncing on bottom as long as you give them a little line to get there. I actually like it when they get away from the back of the boat due to current because we have caught many kings and silvers reeling them up really fast. Spinnows will catch everything, (salmon, rockbass, snappers, lings, and bigg butts) even when I have not gotten a hit on a different lure. My wife caught a 130 lb butt on a spinnow 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks before that a guy on my boat caught a 100 lb butt on one as well. B&Js is the only place in Anchorage I have found them. Good luck.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Question

Quote Originally Posted by kammer View Post
    I think I have fished with every lure in B&Js and hands down the 9.5oz Spinnow is the best I have ever used.
    Do you fish the regular Spinnows or specifically the Halibut Spinnows?

Default Halibut Special

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Do you fish the regular Spinnows or specifically the Halibut Spinnows?
    9.5 oz. The package will say "Halibut Special" on the top corner. All silver, white, and the silver with purple tint work well. Sorry for the late respone. I just back from Seward. Was there all weekend. Silvers were slow in Pony and Agnes cove Saturday but they were on again Sunday. Caught 13 silvers and 2 butt Saturday, and 26 silvers on Sunday. We were trolling for the silvers with a hoochie tipped with herring, but did catch one of the halibut on Saturday on a spinnow in 360 ft.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport