Thread: Recommendation for a Fishing Pack

Default Recommendation for a Fishing Pack

I have used an old school type backpack for a few years now for fishing trips. I usually have it loaded up with some fly boxes, ziploc bags for fish fillets when chasing reds, and some extra line, fillet knife, etc. Well it has seen better days and so I am hoping to move up to something a little more comfortable and useful. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Any packs geared towards fishing (and fly fishing)? Earlier at Fred's I was just looking at some packs that have a semi internal frame, a hydration bladder, etc. - similar to day hike packs you'd see at REI. They looked like they could definitely work, but just thought I'd ask for other opinions.

I did pick up a pair of new Korker wading boots tonight though. Super comfortable and have the soles that you can switch out between rubber and felt.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default great packs

Geared towards hunters but if you just want a pack to throw gear in they are great. I have 3 and they are the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/
    Last edited by kodiakbound; 07-23-2008 at 05:19. Reason: forgot link

I second the Fishpond. The Shooting Star lets you use the chest pack and backpack separately or together. Good quality to.

I've got the Fishpond Wasatch. A bit pricey, but I really love the integrated backpack concept, as well as its utility and storage capacity. Well worth the price, IMHO.

Very high quality material, well balanced, versatile, with tons of storage space. I like all the smaller pockets and chambers. Now I don't have to stuff and mash my gear together to make it fit in a vest, or figure out how to a separate pack with my vest.

Only one small drawback. It can get a little bulky up front with all the front pockets filled, which can sometimes mess with fly casting. But as y0gee knows, it could also be my technique...

I've got a Fishpond as well, chestpack and backpack, i really like it and would suggest it.

Maybe I will look into getting a Fishpond. I currently use a dark blue scooby-doo backpack. So, if you see me on the Park hwy streams, Eklutna, or Kenai, stop by and say hello. I am sure to have a beer or two in the backpack for ya!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll look closely at the fishponds. Do you know if anybody sells them here in Anchorage?

wldboar - I will definitely stop by if I see you out there. I imagine you won't be difficult to spot.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I'm still using a 20 yr old LL bean backpack i got for x-mas when i was 13. I just put several small plastic tackle boxes in it. It serves me well, but sucks when wading and you have to take it off to get something out of it. I would love to get one of those front packs. Those are SWEET!! But man are they pricey!! One of these dayz i'll break down.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll look closely at the fishponds. Do you know if anybody sells them here in Anchorage?
    Mountain View Sports has a couple of versions. I saw some orange ones last year at Sportsman's Warehouse, but I wasn't in the market for one at that time, so I'm not sure which model it was.

Not sure about B&Js, McAfees, or others.

Currently live in Austin, TX. Born near Pittsburgh, PA, and lived in CO for 8 years.

Default A few packs are on sale at Cabela's

You might want to check Cabela's bargain cave under flyfishing. They have a Watermark and a Fishpond for $30-$40. I just picked up the Watermark for my trip to Alaska the second week of August. Hopefully it sits high and stays dry.