Thread: PWS Black Bear Hunting

Default PWS Black Bear Hunting

I have been toying with the Idea of doing a PWS (out of Valdez) Black bear hunt during August. I usually go down for silvers. Never thought about troling some of the bays and scouting for Blackies. Im not asking for honey holes, just the probability in seeing bears in some of the rivers that dump into the bays. I would like to put my son on a Black bear before I deploy this fall. Any info would be nice.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default 7 years in Valdez

Jacks bay and sawmill bay... top end of Jacks is the best.. hit the creeks coming into the end of it and you also get a chance for the large bears that live over Alyeska. we snowmobile out ot the top of Jacks bay through the solomin gulch area in the winter when the snow is good enough it is a short hop for a bear to do that ridge between. sevearl miles..... is all there is between Allison pt and the end of Jacks. over the years i have seen some really nice 6-7 foot bears come out of there. hit the tide changes... hunt the low tide....

sawmill bay has a larger creek that feeds it on one side. with plenty of beach line for landing a skiff. i would not take a larger boat on to the beach there..

on the way home glass the little tonsina river valley from pump twelve back to 74 mile. there are several areas you can get away back off the road and over look the valley. we pulled an 8 foot griss out of there this spring and spotted 2 others... our griss was delivered by a sow who was garding her cub. she had him by the back of the neck... and dropped him near our camp.. the hills around 68 mile are full of black and griss. good luck

Default Valdez

Valdez is in unit 6D and the black bear season does not open until September 1st. I am planning on trying it myself this year. If you can wait until September to go let me know how you do. Good Luck
    Greg

Let me specify..... Late Aug for fishing and early Sep for Bear Hunting.

Later in the year as fall starts there fur will be much better..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default PWS Brown/Griz Bears

So at what point do you start seeing brownies in PWS. Never seen them out of Whittier. Any sightings near Whittier, or does someone need to head to eastern PWS to find them. Or Montague/Hitchenbrook area? Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"