Thread: MSR Dragonfly Fuel?

Default MSR Dragonfly Fuel?

I just bought an MSR Dragonfly from boonies. I love this shop. It's local with great people, and I even talked to the MSR rep at boonies before my purchase. The guy that helped was very knowledgable, but one question I forgot to ask is which fuel is preferable in this stove? Mainly the cleanest, most reliable etc.... I'll probably fall back on the same fuel that strokes through my atv unless there's a better alternative. Thoughts?

Default White gas

White gas is best. Burns cleaner with less fouling to the jets. I have the MSR Whisperlite International. Great stoves. I have heard good things about the Dragonfly. I am sure it will serve you well. If taking an extended remote trip, consider getting the MSR stove repair kit and an extra pump. While I have not had any trouble with my stove, I have heard that one of the more common failures is the pump. They are about $25 and can be found online. Check Summit Hut, Backcountrygear, or similar. With that stove and the ability to repair it and replace the pump, you could go anywhere. Don't waste your money on the MSR Superfuel. While a slightly purer form of white gas, it is way overpriced. Coleman white gas is great (and cheap). I like to use the small (11 ounce) bottle connected to the stove, and I carry spare fuel in the 33 ounce bottles. It is easier to handle the stove with the smaller bottle attached. A sidenote, the MSR Black Lite pot set has ridges on the bottom that keep them from sliding on the stoves. A neat feature that few pot sets have. The kit with the 1.5 and 2 liter pot set weighs 18 ounces. Nice stuff.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Pump...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Check Summit Hut
    summit hut 'eh,...you from Tucson?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Smile No

Good guess though. I am from North Carolina. Just do a lot of online shopping. Summit Hut, Backcountry Gear, Moosejaw, Sierra Trading Post, Cabelas, REI, LL Bean, Wilderness Dining, Mountain House, and Campmor are good friends of mine.

Default Repair kit...

Below is the expedition repair kit for the Dragonfly.

http://www.rei.com/product/714947

Thanks for the info Dan.