Thread: Searching GD??

Default Searching GD??

How come you cannot search within the general discussion? I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find a few things to no avail. Any help on this?

I think this is to keep people from cherry picking posts from other threads very easily.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

The search function is powered by Google and any search done from within the forums can also be done via Google's main search engine. We have chosen not to have the General Discussion forum searchable because the discussion there largely falls outside of the main focus of this website. That forum was created because we recognized that as a community it would be nice to have a place to talk about other things, yet at the same time we do not desire to attract people who are here solely to discuss non-outdoors related items. It is the same reason that the General Discussion forum is not visible without first logging in. When it was wide open, we attracted a number of people who were only here to stir the pot and who had no interest in the Alaskan outdoors. I know that it can be frustrating to not be able to find something in that forum, but taking this approach has gone a long ways towards making that forum a more civil place.

Fair enough. I guess I'll flounder the few times i need to...Thanks Brian

I have recently seen things in the GD forum that truly fit elswhere on the site like the gear section. Is there a good way to bring that to the attention of the Mods so it can be reclassified? I considered hitting the button but figured that would annoy you if every one started using it for misclassified posts. I just hate to see good educational threads get lost outside the searchable data base.

Default Moving threads

This is a good idea for threads that are valuable regarding outdoors subjects. We can move threads out of GD if appropriate. It's easy to leave a placeholder that says the thread has been moved. It's okay to use the report post feature. Explain why you think moving the thread would be beneficial. One of us will find it and look at moving it. Thanks! David
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have recently seen things in the GD forum that truly fit elswhere on the site like the gear section. Is there a good way to bring that to the attention of the Mods so it can be reclassified?