Thread: Acurate Distance?

Default Acurate Distance?

Just got my new takedown recurve, 50# @ 28", and was wondering what is a realistic distance I can expect to achieve with good acuracy?

The only limit is you. There are target archers that can hit an 8" paper plate at amazing distances with a recurve. For me right now, it's 30-35 yds keeping them on a 10" plate. Bow is a TD Recurve (Fedora) that's #59 @ my 27" draw shooting 600gr Grizzly Sticks.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

realisticly if you just started shooting probably about 20 yards after you practice for a while. That is a true 20 yards that most people call 25 or 30.... I myself can shoot and stay within an 8 inch plate at about 40 yards with perfect conditions. But heck i wont shoot past 20 which is why i started traditional bowhunting anyways! Enjoy your journey and addiction haha.

Default As far as you want!!

Going against the 20-25 yards that everyone seems to say (tv shows, movies, etc), you can shoot as far as you work up to.

If you go into the game expecting to only be able to shoot so far then you never will get any better. It's like telling someone a compound they can only shoot 40 yards. Out west it's nothing to see guys taking "good" 50 and 60 yard shots. People may criticize but that's because it's out of their comfort range. If the animal is relaxed and feeding or bedded down it's totally reasonable. Wind blowing and tense, probably not. Being able to judge distance is the other factor to keep in mind.

Case in point, my buddy shoots recurve and can nail it out to 50 yards no problem. Took an elk last year at 40 in Colorado. Granted with a compound he can shoot 90 without even a second thought, but he also shoots religiously everyday around 30-40 arrows. Best bow shooter I know outside of the Olympic guys. To him, 40 yards is limiting his distance and the reason he went to recurve.

Practice as much as you can and determine your own distance. Don't be limited by others limitations.

If you went purley on just how far can you shoot accuratly yeah some people can shoot further. But heck I took up traditional bowhunting to beat the animal at its own game now to poke it with an arrow at 65 yards.

BowHunter,

Not ragging on you at all for sure. I took up bowhunting for the same reasons. I'm just saying not to limit yourself on your abilities. If everyone took Tred Barta's advice (an idiot of epic proportions if you ask me), we would all be limiting ourselves to 10 yards and expounding our own greatness. My buddy is just an example of how good people can be and he never limited himself by others expectations. Everyone should shoot what you are comfortable with and limit yourself to your own killing ranges and we'll all be ethical hunters and doing what we enjoy.

I agree with danjordan, & I have to say my kill record with the tradbow is perfect so far (maybe I should quit :-) )I've released one arrow at a big game animal (there goes any internet "expert" ststus I may have had), a shirus moose in Montana. The range was about 28 yds & I hit exactly where I was looking with my longbow, double lung & top of the heart.
    But have a story :-)
    I had an older friend when I ived in Montana that owned an archery shop there & had owned one in Michigan before that. He was an excellent shot with just about any bow (believe he shot field archery also) & was one of those guys that could keep them all pretty much on a plate @ 75yds with trad gear. One day whitetail hunting in Mich he took a 60 yd shot at a whitetail doe that was standing still feeding. At his release she took a step (didn't jump he string, kept feeding, just stepped) & he said that due to the time of flight it turned what would have been a fine lung shot into a gut shot with a long blood trail to recovery.
    At that point he made the decision that no matter what his accurate range might be, he would be limiting himself to 30-35 yds to help cut down on that possibility in the future.
    Personal choices.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I just see it as taking an unnecessary risk shooting past 50 yards even 40 yards with a trad bow. There is way to much time before the arrow hits for error to happen. Again this is my opinion but I have seen it and read it time and again. Wounding animals is going to happen no matter how much we hate to do it. But I just think you should have a little common courtesy to try and not let that happen

Default Follow up Question?

How long can you keep a recurve strung before it damages the limbs?

Quote Originally Posted by ihntak View Post
    How long can you keep a recurve strung before it damages the limbs?
    If it's a modern bow (not all wood) it won't hurt it to leave it strung. Just make sure it's not in a real warm enviroment (like a car in the hot sun with the windows up all day) as that can cause the glue in the laminations to fail.
    Most bowyers I've talked to say more recurve limbs are damaged by string/unstringing than any other way. Always use a stringer to avoid limb twist.
    Vance in AK.