Thread: Design Ideas - Bicycle tow behind meat trailer

Default Design Ideas - Bicycle tow behind meat trailer

Howdy all,
    I am doing a hunt this fall that I was thinking I would use a tow behind meat trailer for my bicycle. I was planning on welding one up out of aluminum or something like that.
    Does anybody have anything they could describe or take a picture of that I could get some ideas from?
    My only other option is to hang the meat over the center bar and walk the bike out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Biking in and out? You thinking of Peters Creek? Or did you pull a tag for Eklutna? (or are you somewhere else in the state?...) Anyway, I'm guessing you're looking at an unmaintained road. I would recommend buying a bike trailer. It may cost more than building one yourself, but you'll be angry with yourself if your contraption breaks on the trail, leaving you with no good way to get the meat out.

Another option is to bring a pack frame. I know I can do about 50 lbs. on my back on the bike. You want to work up to it. You're way more "tippy" with the weight. Work your way up to it. The nice thing is that if something happens to the bike hardware, you can still get the meat out on foot.

If you are going after moose, you'll probably want the trailer to avoid doing 10 trips. If you're after something smaller, a couple trips on the bike with a pack may be easiest. Good luck!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Thumbs up Bob yak Trailer

Check out the Bob Yak bike trailer they're a little spendy but will track with your bike perfectly and are easy on/ easy off will carry 50 lbs(rated) will actually carry more and have plenty of room for gear or meat.

Default link

check out this web link. This guy is here in Anc, he does great work and can do some custom modifications that may be able to fit your bike...

http://www.tagalongak.com/index.html

Greg

Snyd and a hunting partner of his made a couple of trailers for a sheep hunt a couple of years back. There is a thread detailing his hunt with pictures of the trailers around here somewhere if you search through the old posts. As for me, I use a BOB trailer.

Here ya go .....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Exclamation WOW!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Here ya go .....
    Hey Roger that's a trailer do you have to have a Class A CDL to tow it? Did you build it that is a great set up!

I made one out of stuff I could scrounge and then just bunji corded it on my back rack for a 6 mile ride up a dirt road. Then we unhooked them and drug them in on an atv trail that was to rough to cycle. I used an axle and wheels and tires off of a garden cart, I found some other stuff for a deck and used the handle off my snow scoop. These weren't really designed to be a long term bike trailer meat wagon but they worked for what we did. My buddy built his a little different.

http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneider/PhotoAlbum8.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default tandem bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Here ya go .....
    With that set up of Roger's you might want to look into using a tandem bike with a partner to pull the load! Pretty impressive trailer. I used the BOB trailer a couple years ago on an East Fork hunt. The bike and trailer was a good way to cover the first ten miles beside the lake.

I've used a regular tow behind kids cart, one of those things to carry your kids it. Will handle 1/2 elk. Never had the opportunity for a moose; still think a moose would be multiple trips. Good luck. J.

Quote Originally Posted by henleun View Post
    With that set up
    Sorry not mine ..My brother sent that to me, If you ever see me going hunting on something that does not run by motor .TIMES ARE BAD !!!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I can just imagine how hard it would be to tow such a trailer with even two moose front legs on the soft tundra, but maybe on a dirt trail it's doable

I load one leg on the front rack on my ATV, and then three legs in the meat trailer, plus the neck meat (deboned), the rib meat, other scrap meat from here and there on the moose, two tenderloins, and two backstraps, and tow it up steep hills. However, last year my hunting partner had to ride ahead of me through a rough spot, towing my ATV and trailer since my front wheels were just spinning about 6" off the ground. I though the trailer was going to flip my ATV on its back

Sorry fellows, but I would prefer to work a second job just to buy fuel if I need to, and use my ATV. See...I am over 50 now, and try not to cause myself a heart attack out there.

Thanks for the replies. Snyd, I really like the way yours is set up. The ability to change it up and use it as a rikshaw is brilliant. That type of thing could work out perfectly. Now I just have to build it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Snyd, I really like the way yours is set up. The ability to change it up and use it as a rikshaw is brilliant. That type of thing could work out perfectly. Now I just have to build it.
    I've had the best luck with a BOB, but added a little larger wheel for rough terrain. If I was building my own, I'd just add longer forks to allow an even bigger wheel. The whole point is to keep the load as low as possible while tracking true.

I will tell you one thing for sure: Retro your bike with the very best brakes you can find, even figure out how to double up on them if such a thing is possible. Get that heavy load pushing behind you on the downhill runs, and no brake is going to do the job if you let your momentum get above a crawl. I walk the loads downhill. Period.

Great points brownbear. I was thinking that even if I end up walking the bike with trailer the entire 15 to 20 miles out, at least I won't have 150 + pounds of caribou on my back. Hence doing it in one trip instead of many.

How about using 4 front wheel bike tires (26”’) and bicycle brakes?
    The frame could be made out of ˝ EMT very cheep.