Thread: Wild creek Bear hunt

Default Wild creek Bear hunt

Anyone ever hunted this area for bear in the fall?

Default Saltery Cove

Went in with a friend a few years back. It was a decent trail ride on 4wheelers which can get you in past Saltery Creek. We were pretty much alone during the week, but due to its accessability and proximity to the road system it would get a lot of pressure on the weekends. Great possibility for combo Bear/Blacktail/Goat if timed right. What else would you like to know?

Randy

gonna be busy, gonna be tough, gonna depend on weather and wether...or not.
    its alot of steep ground, find someone who's done this excat same hunt and come up with a list of questions for them...then narrow down what your doing..should get you started in the right direction.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I drew this tag 2 falls ago. Went in on Oct 10th for a week. I only saw a sow with a cub. I flew in with Andrew Air (good outfit) camped on the bluff along the spit that separates Hidden Basin from Ugak Bay.

We (non-bear tag partner) climbed the steep hogback above camp everyday (are we sheep hunting? He asked). He did take a nice buck though, but we only saw two and only a few does.

In review, I went in blind and hunted the place all wrong. Farther up the valley is where I should have been.

Default Thanks for the responses

The good thing is that I will be running back by to the hunt area by quad as much as possible, and have access to a boat so I will be scouting the hidden basin area as well, as of right now I was thinking about climbing up above the bed springs hole on saltery river. I don't know if this is the best approach but hopefully I will have a good game plan once I go into hunt. Once again thanks for the responses and would appreciate if any one else has any other tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I drew this tag 2 falls ago. Went in on Oct 10th for a week. I only saw a sow with a cub. I flew in with Andrew Air (good outfit) camped on the bluff along the spit that separates Hidden Basin from Ugak Bay.

We (non-bear tag partner) climbed the steep hogback above camp everyday (are we sheep hunting? He asked). He did take a nice buck though, but we only saw two and only a few does.

In review, I went in blind and hunted the place all wrong. Farther up the valley is where I should have been.
    Not trying to hi-jack the thread but have been watching for feedback here as well. My brother and I both won this permit for the spring hunt and are not familiar with the area. Been up here 39 years and have always wanted to go to Kodiak on a BB hunt. This was both of ours last choice on the Big Island but will put forth a good effort nontheless.
    Is the bear population just not so prominent because of accesability or do you think you just went about it wrong looking back in hind sight? I too have thought we will fly in with Andrews air but just not so sure which part yet.
    FLBEN..... Goodluck and I hope all pans out in your favor.